Curiosity: Getting to goal without exercise

Options
For those of you who got to their goal weight without exercise, do you feel like you can do more (physically) now? like you are lighter on your feet, you have more energy, you are fitter etc, or did it not make much difference

Replies

• lilysmama08
    lilysmama08 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I've lost 72 pounds and tried walking 2 miles for the first time in a few months and I was so out of breath, couldn't keep up with my friend, etc. And the next day every muscle in my legs were sore. But the weight loss has been over 13 months for me so it was pretty slow. Maybe people that lose it quicker notice being lighter on their feet at least.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I began losing without exercise and now I don't think that I could have continued losing without exercise. Exercise increased my energy level throughout the day even though I was eating at a deficit. I lost 20 pounds without much exercise, I've lost almost 70 with it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Just losing weight won't change your physical fitness.
    I've had a few points in my weight loss were I couldn't exercise (longest was c-section recovery that took longer than normal since it started to reopen). I had to eat less calories for the same rate of loss, I was tired a lot and my mood was pretty much crap.
    For me exercising equals better mood, more energy, preserving muscle (modest deficit + lifting+adequate protein intake) and more calories available. Even a simple walk is nice and that's actually what I originally started with. Just walking. Eventually I started running and strength training (which eventually led to lifting) because I wanted to improve my fitness. Would be lighter have made running easier, maybe, but probably not to a noticeable extent since it would have been something my muscles weren't used to doing. Either way running even a mile is something that I needed to work up to (my starting point was only being able to walk a quarter of a mile or so before needing a break).
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make it any easier. The only thing that may help is you didn't have as much fat on you as before.

To help gain some strength little by little since I don't want to go to the gym till I am closer to goal is jump roping. I do 5-10 minutes a few times a day every other day. At 321 pounds it's difficult to do, but it will get easier every week as I progress, and by time I do go to the gym I will have some strength.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I lost around 50lbs with no exercise. For me, I didn't have the aches and pains doing regular activities anymore, after losing the extra weight. So losing the weight, even without exercise, helped improve things. I also have a lot more energy now, sleep better etc. without exercise being a factor.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!