Pregnant, gaining too much too fast

Options
Good morning,
This is not really a plea for advice, but if you have any (besides "You're pregant! Don't be vain, gain more fat for your baby!) I'm happy to hear it.

Mostly, I just need a place to vent my frustratrion. I'm 17 weeks pregnant with my second baby, and couldn't be happier about it. I had a goal of maintaining a healthy weight and gaining within the reccomended 25 to 35 lbs with this one, since I gained over 50 with my first, and didn't want to have to struggle to lose excess weight during the first year of my baby's life.

I am by no means strict with my diet, deprive myself of nothing, but I am trying to eat mostly healthy foods and stay active. I weigh myself once a week, and try not to feel bad every time when the scale number jumps up.

This morning, I weighed in at 140lbs. I started this pregnancy at 120. My baby weighs a little over 3 ounces now, so that extra weight has not been going to them, as much as it has to my thighs, hips, and butt.

It's just disheartening, watching the pounds pile on before this little one even weighs one, and knowing I'm not even halfway through pregnancy. I can't cut calories, and apparently I suck at "moderation".

Replies

• Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good advice, besides keep moving. Do some pregnancy specific work outs & yoga, go for walks. As for the food end, I hear ya, I was hungry all. the. time. while pregnant. & I ate pretty crappy. It's taken a bit of work, but I've shed the preggo weight & then some. My youngest will be a year next month.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctors and figure out how many calories you should be eating to support your pregnancy at the different stages and try to stay within that calories budget. I would be very hesitant to try to come up with that calculation yourself as you don't want to adversely affect your baby. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but if I was in your situation I would consult my pregnancy team as I wouldn't want to take an unnecessary risks.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You probably already know this but your weight gain is also tissue and fluids needed to support your baby's growth. Talk to your doctor to figure out how many calories you should be eating. My biggest weight gain was during the second trimester. Then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and completely changed how I ate. I ended up gaining around 7 kg total during my pregnancy but I was obese to start with. If needed, ask for a referral to a dietitian if you aren't sure what you should be eating. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No advice other than what has been given already. Log your calories and then talk to your doctor about whether they are appropriate.

I will also share that, when I was pregnant with my first child, I continued to run on the treadmill and weight train... and do step aerobics until the instructor made me get off the step. I gained 56 pounds. Yeah, I ate too many cheeseburger clubs but certainly not every day! My second pregnancy (10 months later; kids 18 mos apart), I did zero exercise and ate whatever and lost weight the first half of my pregnancy and gained only a net of 15 pounds. So, every body and pregnancy is different. I'd talk to your doctor and focus on your health and your baby for now.

Congratulations!
  • evolve33
    evolve33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I have talked to my OB about my concerns, and his reply is "I'm not really focused on weight, as long as you're not losing it." He's a very laid-back kind of Dr., which I generally like.

I've gained 22 lbs now, am only 17 weeks, and my goal for this pregnancy was 30 lbs total. Even though Im trying to eat healthy and be active, I feel I have absolutely no control of how much I gain or how fast, and will gain at least another 30lbs in the next 23 weeks at this rate. Feeling like a failure, combined with pregancy hormones, has me crying most of the day (I never cry) but I know it will pass. I'm grateful for a healthy pregnancy, and I'm sure when she's born I'll be able to take the weight off again like I did with my firs
  • evolve33
    evolve33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I'm 5'7''
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling like a failure, first of all. Gaining weight is natural during pregnancy, so it seems your body is doing what it's supposed to be doing. I gained a whopping 78 lbs with my first pregnancy, and I was still overweight for my second one, but only gained 20 that time. It is what it is. My instinct is to say what you don't want to hear, but I need to. Focus on you, and your beautiful baby. Not pounds, unless they are dropping, like your doctor says. Enjoy this time while you can, and worry about the weight AFTER baby comes. Good luck xo
  • anderson0702
    anderson0702 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. Just try to eat healthy, exercise and don't be too hard on yourself. Pregnancy isn't easy so be kind to yourself. When I was pregnant I exercised regularly and tried to eat well but my weight climbed at an uncomfortable rate. I will admit to regular ice cream indulgences; it was hot! Lol... My Daughter was only 6 lbs. Crap - that meant the rest was on me. Well in 1.5 weeks I lost 30 pounds! Likely water weight but huge so try not to worry too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    At 5'7" your starting weight of 120 was on the extreme low end of healthy. Even if you gain 50 you'll be barely overweight. I would encourage you to begin practicing moderation (not restriction) now within the goals for your pregnancy. You need this skill for the rest of your life.

All of this.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    At 5'7" your starting weight of 120 was on the extreme low end of healthy. Even if you gain 50 you'll be barely overweight. I would encourage you to begin practicing moderation (not restriction) now within the goals for your pregnancy. You need this skill for the rest of your life.

I agree with this.

Also, if you aren't already, it's fine to be tracking what you eat here. Set the system for gaining .5 pounds per week. Focus on nutritious foods, getting plenty of protein as well as fruits and vegetables. And, as long as you feel okay and don't have any complications, you can maintain your previous levels of exercise (always talk with your doctor if you have any concerns, this is just the general advice) but eat back those calories.

Develop the habits of eating mostly nutritious foods and allowing yourself treats that fit in your calorie goals. It is the same concept that will help you lose weight after the birth and maintain your goal.

And congratulations!! :mrgreen:
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You might not want to hear this, but I gained the same 45-50 lbs with each pregnancy (I've had four children). It didn't really matter what I did; with my first I ate pretty crappy and didn't exercise - gained 50 lbs; with my second I improved my diet (cut soda, less take out, less junk) - gained 50 lbs; with my third I was eating in perfect accordance with the USDA guidelines, counted calories, watched portions, and took up prenatal yoga - gained 45 lbs (and was pissed that going through all that and obsessing and being miserable and hungry my whole pregnancy only "saved" me 5 measley lbs!); with my fourth I had used LCHF to drop the weight after my third pregnancy and continued a moderate carb diet thru the pregnancy, along with cardio 5 days a week - gained 50 lbs (but at least I didn't drive myself crazy).

Bottom line - you gain what you gain (within reason of course). For someone your height and starting weight you should expect to gain on the high end anyway (I'm also 5'7" and cannot for the life of me see how us taller gals could get away with less than 35 lbs). I'm not saying give up or don't bother caring, but don't starve yourself or your baby either. The weight will come off after. Do exercise (so long as your doc approves)- the pregnancies where I stayed active were definitely more comfortable. And do make healthy choices - I may have gained the same amounts with all of my pregnancies, but the last one (the moderate carb one) was the one where the weight came off easiest afterwards, despite being nine years older than with my first; probably due to having good habits throughout. Good luck and congratulations!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Guuurl, I'm 13 weeks and I totally know where you're coming from with the insatiable hunger. I eat all day long. Ask your OB for a referral to a nutritionist/dietitian who specializes in pregnancy. As much as we'd like to believe the contrary, our docs just don't have the training on this. Once you have a plan unique to you, log everything in MFP and do your best to stay in that goal. Be active. Go on walks as you can, whatever you can do.

And really, how many times in your life do you get to be pregnant. Try and enjoy it :) The weight can come off later.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and gained 25 lbs during my pregnancy. No more, no less. I stayed active until SPD kicked in until 6 months, and I also made sure to eat fairly balanced. Maybe try eating at maintanance cals.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and gained 25 lbs during my pregnancy. No more, no less. I stayed active until SPD kicked in until 6 months, and I also made sure to eat fairly balanced. Maybe try eating at maintanance cals.

Out of curiosity, what was your starting weight?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    evolve33 wrote: »
    Good morning,
    This is not really a plea for advice, but if you have any (besides "You're pregant! Don't be vain, gain more fat for your baby!) I'm happy to hear it.

Mostly, I just need a place to vent my frustratrion. I'm 17 weeks pregnant with my second baby, and couldn't be happier about it. I had a goal of maintaining a healthy weight and gaining within the reccomended 25 to 35 lbs with this one, since I gained over 50 with my first, and didn't want to have to struggle to lose excess weight during the first year of my baby's life.

I am by no means strict with my diet, deprive myself of nothing, but I am trying to eat mostly healthy foods and stay active. I weigh myself once a week, and try not to feel bad every time when the scale number jumps up.

This morning, I weighed in at 140lbs. I started this pregnancy at 120. My baby weighs a little over 3 ounces now, so that extra weight has not been going to them, as much as it has to my thighs, hips, and butt.

It's just disheartening, watching the pounds pile on before this little one even weighs one, and knowing I'm not even halfway through pregnancy. I can't cut calories, and apparently I suck at "moderation".

Congrats on the incoming family member!

What if instead of "cutting" calories you just eat 100-200 above maintenance? That would result in .25-.5 lbs gained a week, which should be a healthy rate of gaining weight. It would also be only another 5-11 lbs during the pregnancy. Just make sure you get your doctors approval before you start anything.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did not read all the replies so forgive me if I offer a repeat experience and/or advice. But, I gained 28 pounds during my pregnancy and believe it or not, a lot of that came during the first half. I did start out relatively slim. But still.... focus on lots of fruits, veggies, and lean protien. Calories are important but don't overstress if you are eating well. Focus on exercising. Even if just walking.
  • koshka423
    koshka423 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If your beginning weight was 120 and your height is 5'7, it gives normal bmi of 18.8, but it is very close to underweight. So you have to gain close to 35 lb, maybe more. During pregnancy your body stores nutrients and fat for future breastfeeding, so it's normal that you gained so much weight although your baby is only 3 oz now.
    If I were you, I would just focus more on eating healthy food and less on the weight.