Going to gym and calories, but gaining.

I've been going to the gym 5 days out of the week for 3 weeks. Been staying in the calories goal for losing 2 pounds a week. Today I weighed myself it said I gained 7 pounds or maybe I'm just bloated but 7 pounds seem alot, but I don't know. Any ideas or does anyone know if this is normal or not?

Replies

• laura031180davis
    laura031180davis Posts: 1 Member
    I've been doing the exact same thing, I weighed this morning and put on 2lb since last sat. I've stayed within my calories and my macros yet gained weight? I'm so confused
  • jessrichardson1400
    jessrichardson1400 Posts: 3 Member
    It could be muscle gain. Your muscles are heavier then fat. So while losing fat you are probably gaining more muscles!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    It could be muscle gain. Your muscles are heavier then fat. So while losing fat you are probably gaining more muscles!

Nope. OP would have to be eating at a surplus to gain muscle and even then, she would not gain seven pounds of muscle in three weeks.

The scale can shoot up due to water retention from muscle repair after strenuous workouts, but after a few weeks that tapers off. However, since you're aiming for two pounds per week you should see a loss. What are your stats? What do you do at the gym?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

no it's not...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Now to be helpful.
    If you aren't using a food scale, logging accurately and consistenty you are probably eating more than you think.

But new exercise does cause fluid retention to help repair the muscles. That goes away in a couple of weeks sort of...you will always retain fluid after exercise to a degree.

For women it could be TOM on top of the fluid from new exercise, excess sodium or even stress causing cortisol levels to rise making it appear to gain due to fluid.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    It's more likely water gain from muscle repair, since only water gain would happen that quickly. I workout 6 times a week but alternate really intense activity (running and lifting) with less intense activity (walking and lifting). Only weigh after the light days.

This post may help: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

This will definitely help:

tv3mTVK.jpg
  • MelMaria9009
    MelMaria9009 Posts: 16 Member
    synacious wrote: »

Nope. OP would have to be eating at a surplus to gain muscle and even then, she would not gain seven pounds of muscle in three weeks.

The scale can shoot up due to water retention from muscle repair after strenuous workouts, but after a few weeks that tapers off. However, since you're aiming for two pounds per week you should see a loss. What are your stats? What do you do at the gym?

I do elliptical for 30 minutes or more (different levels everytime) the bike for at least 10 and the treadmill for at least 10 as well. I also do some weights for my arms and stomach not a lot but some.
  • MelMaria9009
    MelMaria9009 Posts: 16 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Now to be helpful.
    If you aren't using a food scale, logging accurately and consistenty you are probably eating more than you think.

But new exercise does cause fluid retention to help repair the muscles. That goes away in a couple of weeks sort of...you will always retain fluid after exercise to a degree.

For women it could be TOM on top of the fluid from new exercise, excess sodium or even stress causing cortisol levels to rise making it appear to gain due to fluid.

I sometimes workout more then I put down and I try really hard to stay with in the calories sometimes a little over but like 20 calories...I do have a lot of stress with work and at home a little...but I never knew stress could cause that haha.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    How many calories are you consuming? What is your age, height and current weight?
    How are you measuring your calories (weighing with food scale, measuring with cups/spoons, guessing)?

Also, are you close to the time of the month? I get a gain of almost 10lbs when it is close to the time.

Have you eaten anything high in sodium lately?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I've been going to the gym 5 days out of the week for 3 weeks. Been staying in the calories goal for losing 2 pounds a week. Today I weighed myself it said I gained 7 pounds or maybe I'm just bloated but 7 pounds seem alot, but I don't know. Any ideas or does anyone know if this is normal or not?

Is this based merely on two data points (starting and current)?

That's not nearly enough data to know if you're losing or gaining. I've "gained" 7 pounds in two days before, of course it was water, not fat, that I had gained. Fluctuations happen all the time. You really need enough data to actually trend.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Us ladies tend to have some wicked weight fluctuations around our periods...could that be it?
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Maybe could be a cheat meal the day before a weigh in
    even if it is not a cheat meal if you saved your calories till the evening and you ate a significant amount of carbs and salt it may cause a bit more water retention. The day before a weigh in tend to keep my evening meals down and make sure I use the toilet in the morning. Also if you have lost inches off your waist you are probably losing fat anyway.. you can ignore the scale to some extent
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Maybe take a day off from all exercise, drink your water and eat correctly. Weigh the day after your day off. You may even pee a lot. You'll see the scale drop. I'm betting it's just water from the stress of the all the exercise. If it's your period, I've seen gains as much as 5 lbs right when I start mine. You'll have to give that a few days to go away.