Gastric Bypass, have you gained it all back??

tamanella
tamanella Posts: 500 Member
edited October 11 in Motivation and Support
First off I just want to say that this is just my experience and if you don't have a positive thing to say, please don't post. Thank you.

This is a very shameful and embarassing thing for me to admit, but I had the Gastric Bypass Surgery and lost 110lbs and then I gained it all back plus another 45lbs. To be honest with you, I'm not even sure how it happened other than I slipped right back into my old habits and didn't do one lick of exercise. So now I learned that I should have used it for the tool that it is and not for the fix I thought it would be. I'm back to losing naturally and hoping maybe some of that tool will revive and help me out. We shall see.

Is there anyone else out there who have had the surgery just to gain it all back? I was just thinking that it would be great to friend each other and help support each other get through this weight loss journey! Feel free to friend me if you're looking for the same thing!

Replies

• abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    good luck dear.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    You can do it. I am 100% certain that weight-loss is attainable for each and every person who struggles with food. I won't go too far into details but the key really is eating back your exercise cals and yes, exercise as it means you can eat a LOT more.
  • aw, I'm so sorry sweety.... I haven't personally experienced it but i have 4 friends who have undergone the surgery - so far, none that I know have have regained (but then again, three have just experienced their loss and the other has a lot of physical issues due to not taking care of himself afterwards).

I at one time had lost a great deal of weight in a short amount of time (120lbs in 8 months), and I remember saying to myself that I'd never get back to where I began. I did it through diet and exercises but after taking a break for 4 months I got pregnant and over 4 years of focusing strictly on them and not so much about me, I gained it all back.

I know how devastating it can be and when you look back at old pics and are remorseful - but it's not the end of the line. You can definitely lose again, even if it's by sticking to the diet plan you were on after your surgery and picking up the workouts. Don't dwell on it too much (although i do hope you find support here - if not here, try sparkpeople). Just say to yourself as you make your better food choices and slowly build up to getting in more activity - that YOU ARE MAKING IT BETTER! and like my own personal every day motto lately has become - by making these healthy choices each day - I am going to get to my goal.

Also, doing my best every day means one day less with regret.

cherish your pictures if you have any at your smaller weights and use them as your goal pictures. I know I am. :D

Wish you all the luck you deserve.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    As a nurse, I see many gastric bypass patients long after their initial surgery and it's my experience that a large number regain their weight back. It's a discipline issue, just like you said. It's a tool, not a magic bullet. You still have to work it, have smaller portions, have the proper amount of protein, etc. You aren't alone. I've seen many, many in your shoes. At least you've seen the light, the ones I end up dealing with have slipped back and don't seem to be trying to manage it on their own. Good luck to you.
  • cindy_ss
    cindy_ss Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am not sure if you are familiar with it, but you may want to reach out to some people on Obesity Help. There are forums/message boards there for RnY. You might find some support there, I know there are people who are struggling with every Weight Loss Surgery.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/
    http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/

Most people on the boards are friendly and understanding.

I wish you the best, you can do it girl! You still have your tool and I am sure you know the basics rules.

Take care,

Cindy
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging words and advice!

@Cindy, I will definately check out those websites!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    I'm so proud of you for posting. I have toyed with Gastric Bypass surgery myself. My dad had it in 2009. He has not been very diligent with his diet, and I'm afraid that I'm not in the right mental place yet to be diligent with mine. It is an awesome tool....I'm just working on it myself here too.
    Please, don't beat yourself up with shame. We all struggle with food. That is why we are all here. I'm proud of you for taking back control. That's awesome. :)
    Keep working hard. We will cheer each other on. :)
  • Soopermomma
    Soopermomma Posts: 11 Member
    People suggest that I have gastric bypass, all of the time. I think about it and I know, that my mind-set is not at the point that it would help me. I am so proud of you for plowing ahead on your fitness goal to get healthy and happy. I am very honored to be able to share this journey with you.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    you have helped so many with your honesty and I'm very proud of you!!!

God Bless,

Pam
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Pjfmaui is right, your honesty helps others. I'm going though the pre-op program for GB and I thought I was the only one on this board who even considered it. *hug*

Is there a post-op program where you had it done? I doubt that you're the only one struggling. The surgeon/team that handled your surgery in the first place might be able to help with advice or resources to get you back on track.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    thats the problem with gastric bypass and other such sx's.

it addresses the issue..but not the problem..the problem is poor nutrition and eating habits and no exericse. if you want something, you have to work at it. there is no easy path..when provided with one..we learn nothing. its a bandaid fix..not a cure
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    First off I just want to say that this is just my experience and if you don't have a positive thing to say, please don't post. Thank you.

This is a very shameful and embarassing thing for me to admit, but I had the Gastric Bypass Surgery and lost 110lbs and then I gained it all back plus another 45lbs. To be honest with you, I'm not even sure how it happened other than I slipped right back into my old habits and didn't do one lick of exercise. So now I learned that I should have used it for the tool that it is and not for the fix I thought it would be. I'm back to losing naturally and hoping maybe some of that tool will revive and help me out. We shall see.

Is there anyone else out there who have had the surgery just to gain it all back? I was just thinking that it would be great to friend each other and help support each other get through this weight loss journey! Feel free to friend me if you're looking for the same thing!

You'd be surprised ho many people are in this situation. I am one of them. I had gastric bypass in 1994. I went from 213 to an average weight of 135 which I maintained for 10 years with a steady, pretty hardcore exercise routine. When I got pregnant, I gained 50 lbs and some bad habits (not eating meals but nibbling throughout the day because my tummy had gotten so small). At the same time, I had stopped exercising because I moved to a new state and didn't know where to go (and didn't like the classes I did find). Fast forward 7 years and I'm still the same weight as when I went in the hospital with my son. I no longer have dumping issues, so sugar became a big addiction for me. I've nipped that in the bud for now, but it's a daily battle.

One thing I've re-learned (with the help of a website called www.livingafterwls.com) is that gastric bypass is only a tool. You can't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, so why would we expect the gastric bypass to help us if we aren't using it correctly (eating foods that cause us to dump, foods that "slide" through, drinking with meals, etc.). The biggest problem is most patients were never taught the correct way to use their tool. We go through SO much to get the surgery, yet once it's done, we're just sent on our merry way.

One thing you may want to do is research the "5 day pouch test." It will get you into understanding the rules, getting rid of the carb monster and being well on your way to success. It's basically a 5 day program that puts us back through what we did with surgery - day one liquids, day 2 soft foods, day 3 soft protein (and a complex carb), day 4 medium protein, day 5 any protein and complex carb. Once you've completed that, you stay on Day 6 - which is meals consisting of protein and complex carbs. My diet here at MFP is very similar (although I could do a little better on limiting my simple carbs.) Keep in mind the 5dpt is not a fad diet. It's NOT a way to lose weight (although you will). It's meant to get your tummy back to where it was and to help you get back on the road to success

You can do Day 6 AND MFP at the same time. There's an amazing support group at www.livingafterwls.com (forums, education, etc.). Most are in our situation and are working at getting back to their original loss (or at least within a healthy range).

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • gcsjmoore
    gcsjmoore Posts: 13 Member
    I'm really proud of you for stepping up with that story. My kids are very active in athletics and the gym where we are with them (4-5 days a week) GP seems to be the rage in the parents' section. At least 4 of had it done this year and I just found out that two of my other friends have done it in the last few months as well.

I'm afraid a lot of them will end up in the same position and that really saddens me for them. Two in particular I know don't have any motivation to exercise whatsoever (never have). One will do it sporadically but not the other. And the other is the one who was doing a countdown ticker to her surgery so she would be "skinny" again and get to shop in stores like her daughter (who has a blooming weight problem herself at 12 years old, she's not terribly obses because she's involved in the same hard core sport as my kids are, but if she were to stop working out with them, she'd have an issue due to the way the family eats). She's posting her weight loss on Facebook to crowds of people telling her "great job" and "keep working hard" but the problem is, she's not working at all. I've been waiting to see it, and just about 2 weeks ago she put up a "frustrated" post because she'd plateau'd at 80 lbs.

I think it's great that you've got the right mind set that it is about educating yourself about what to eat, how to eat and how to exercise (and how often) because "skinny" doesn't necessarily mean "healthy." Weight loss isn't necessarily healthy either depending how it's done.

I lost about 50 pounds - went from an 18 to an 8 over the course of a year. I basically followed the Body for Life program and worked out everyday and watched what I ate. When I got promoted and had less time to work out-it started coming back. I've got 25 back on now (five years later) and have recommitted myself to getting back into those 8's (many of which are still in my closet).

Here's what I did for some personal motivation. I have two beautiful gowns I wore to some balls with my husband's job during that time. They are hanging FRONT and CENTER in my closet so I see them everytime I go in there. I also had a great picture wearing one of them in a friend's wedding and that's now my profile pic on Facebook (and another one in the same dress with my family on this site) so everytime I log on, I see those pictures That's what keeps me going. I looked like that before....I WILL look like that again.

So will you :)

Good luck!!!
  • imbatmanslady
    imbatmanslady Posts: 1 Member
    I had the surgery in 2010. I did great for a couple of years. Felt better. Happier and healthier. One day while walking with my daughter I almost passed out. I was so weak, light-headed and could hardly see. She had to help me to the car. I was scared. I thought maybe I needed more protein. After talking with a pharmacist friend, she suggested I eat Clif Bars in between meals. For over a year I was gaining weight, real shaky, afraid to leave the house without a Clif Bar in my purse or car. It seemed to be the only thing the stop the shaking. The Dr. even diagnosed me with Hypoglycemia and told me to eat six times a day. Another six months later I was so depressed and so sick of eating food. I was beside myself. Some one sent me an article from a Dr. in my area. I went to see him and he ran several tests and determined my gall bladder was the culprit the whole time. I had it taken out. Yet I am still stuck with the weight and depression. The shakiness is 90% gone. I am trying to eat better, but can't lose the weight. I spent 40 days without sugars and didn't lose a pound. I am trying this app to hopefully get help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I had the surgery in 2010. I did great for a couple of years. Felt better. Happier and healthier. One day while walking with my daughter I almost passed out. I was so weak, light-headed and could hardly see. She had to help me to the car. I was scared. I thought maybe I needed more protein. After talking with a pharmacist friend, she suggested I eat Clif Bars in between meals. For over a year I was gaining weight, real shaky, afraid to leave the house without a Clif Bar in my purse or car. It seemed to be the only thing the stop the shaking. The Dr. even diagnosed me with Hypoglycemia and told me to eat six times a day. Another six months later I was so depressed and so sick of eating food. I was beside myself. Some one sent me an article from a Dr. in my area. I went to see him and he ran several tests and determined my gall bladder was the culprit the whole time. I had it taken out. Yet I am still stuck with the weight and depression. The shakiness is 90% gone. I am trying to eat better, but can't lose the weight. I spent 40 days without sugars and didn't lose a pound. I am trying this app to hopefully get help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a VSG in 2012. I lost the weight, maintained it for a couple years & then had a series of personal issues that propelled me into basically a year of binge eating. I did not re-gain all of the weight that I lost, but I did regain enough that I scared myself. I've now lost all the weight again.

I started by going back to my doctor so I would have some accountability in my eating & monitoring of my nutrition & blood work. I see her monthly again. It was embarrassing & hard to admit that I'd gone all haywire.

I still have my sleeve & can still make use of it. I went back to eating like I did right after my surgery:
    • no liquids 30 minutes before or after a meal
    • no sodas
    • no straws
    • protein first during a meal & get in at least 80g per day
    • no more than 3/4 cup of food per meal (volume-wise)
    • I cut my calories down to my "losing" amount.
    • I started taking all my vitamins again.
    • I weigh & log everything religiously.
    • I pre-plan everything I eat.
    • I make sure I include sweets because I know that it's not a sustainable plan for me if I don't.
    These are all the things that I did right after surgery--your specifics may be different. Just go back to the basics. If you don't have your packet anymore, ask your doctor for another one.

• I had VSG almost 4 years ago. Lost 173 pounds. Gained 43 back. After going to my last PCP visit I put my foot down that I was going to loose that weight, and then some. I've lost 16.5 pounds so far in a month and a half. My downfall was late night snacking on junk (mainly cheezits and chips), Boredom eatting. Now I eat 3 meals a day and that's it!! No more chips/crackers. The tool I have still works, just need to avoid slider food.
    As you know food is more of a mental struggle than anything else. You CAN do it!!!
  • tiwipod
    tiwipod Posts: 8 Member
    I'm really happy to find this thread, you are all so lovely and honest and as I am struggling to maintain weight lost and a little regain it gives me Hoppe I can get back on track! Can someone explain what finding someone means? I have lost 140pds over the last few years with the help of a tool, but now I have hit maintenance I just am floundering and emotionally eating all the time, exceeding my calorie allowances and altogether making a mess of things. I feel so out of control and scared, I just cannot let myself go back to my life before weight loss I was so very unhappy and unhealthy. Any advise would be so very appreciated. I feel like I can eat alot more now than earlier in my journey, am allowing simple crab foods back in and generally not listening to my head or body. Its so frustrating but I know I must do something now before it is too late...
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    tiwipod wrote: »
    I'm really happy to find this thread, you are all so lovely and honest and as I am struggling to maintain weight lost and a little regain it gives me Hoppe I can get back on track! Can someone explain what finding someone means? I have lost 140pds over the last few years with the help of a tool, but now I have hit maintenance I just am floundering and emotionally eating all the time, exceeding my calorie allowances and altogether making a mess of things. I feel so out of control and scared, I just cannot let myself go back to my life before weight loss I was so very unhappy and unhealthy. Any advise would be so very appreciated. I feel like I can eat alot more now than earlier in my journey, am allowing simple crab foods back in and generally not listening to my head or body. Its so frustrating but I know I must do something now before it is too late...

I felt out of control as well during my binging phase. I wish I had gotten an appointment with an eating disorder therapist & my doctor at the beginning of my slip rather than at the end. If I were you, I would start making appointments. If one doctor can't help you, call another one. My first step was to talk to the doctor who did my annual physical. He told me I just needed to hit the gym. OK. Really? Thanks, so much. I'm sure that is going to solve my huge issues with food. There is nothing wrong with looking for help, but sometimes you have to look pretty hard. You are worth the effort. I'm still looking for a therapist myself.

I can tell you that once I started weighing everything out & tracking my calories carefully again, I felt so much better--more in control & less helpless & unhappy. Something about lining those numbers up and knowing that it was a step that WOULD work & that I COULD do it. It's hard to break that cycle where you eat to feel better, but the eating really just makes you feel worse. Don't worry about what's going to happen in the future. Just plan each day at a time & make it manageable. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.