Is Walking Enough?

Options
I walk or hit the elliptical just about every night. I really enjoy my walks, but I wonder if walking and that little bit of cardio is enough activity. Fitbit picks it up as "active minutes." I'm eating 1300 cal a day and always in a deficit. The weight is steadily coming off. I guess I'm asking in the interest of overall fitness.

Replies

• JoeCima
    JoeCima Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes, walk. It is as good as running. It just takes twice as long:)
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How long do you walk? Do you walk briskly? (getting your heart rate up?). As long as you're moving and getting some form of exercise that's great in my opinion.
  • sthome925
    sthome925 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your end goal is? Are you trying to get lean and toned or just lose weight? I always add in some circuit training, interval training, and weight lifting into my workouts each day so I don't lose all my muscle.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It is if that's what you want to do. Personally I like cardio and strength training. I alternate the two and dance too. At some point, you may want to add more cardio in. But if you enjoy what you're doing and it's working, keep at it. When it starts getting boring or stops working, try something new.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you, especially if you enjoy it. If your goal is fat loss focus on the slight caloire deficit over time. If your goal is to increase bone density to ward off osteoporosis and build beautiful muscle then weight training is the way to go. It depends on what your goal is.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've lost what I've lost by calorie deficit, walking and a once a week swim... its a great form of exercise!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ahumanpug wrote: »
    I walk or hit the elliptical just about every night. I really enjoy my walks, but I wonder if walking and that little bit of cardio is enough activity. Fitbit picks it up as "active minutes." I'm eating 1300 cal a day and always in a deficit. The weight is steadily coming off. I guess I'm asking in the interest of overall fitness.

I have walked marathons and run marathons. At the moment, I do some of both. Walking is excellent, and for me takes maybe 25% longer.

One advantage is a way lower injury risk and quicker recovery. Keep on walking if you enjoy it!

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I walk a LOT, it's the easiest thing for me and it helps tremendously. Sometimes I run an I also have a static bike but honestly, especially at the start, walking is really great (and good for your heart!)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    thumbs up to walking off for my 8km walk soon
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds since last August with just watching my calories and walking, and that is taking six weeks off over the holidays.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for cardiovascular health.

I personally started out by walking, which then led into walking trails and hiking, and once I had my endurance and stamina up, I was finally able to run... which would never have been possible for me in the beginning.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    aamb wrote: »
    I've lost what I've lost by calorie deficit, walking and a once a week swim... its a great form of exercise!

I love my weekly swim too. My fave!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Walking/hiking are my main forms of activity. They're sufficient for health. Its probably not going to land you 1st place in a fitness competition, if that's your goal though.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Probably 85% of my exercise is walking, and it has done great things for my health. I started out doing maybe a mile or two, and now I try to walk 5-8 miles each day. My endurance is better, I can stand for longer periods of time without my legs hurting, and it's great stress relief. Walking FTW!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Walking is the one exercise that anyone can do. I love walking because it costs nothing, it is pleasant, and it is relaxing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm walking right now as I'm typing this :lol: It's the only exercise I do, and it can create a very decent calorie burn if you walk enough. I aim for a minimum of 15,000 steps everyday.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I'm walking right now as I'm typing this :lol: It's the only exercise I do, and it can create a very decent calorie burn if you walk enough. I aim for a minimum of 15,000 steps everyday.

Crazy great lack of typos for walk typing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Crazy great lack of typos for walk typing.

Haha if you look at my posts, the majority are edited coz I usually suck at walking and typing!