Pescababy1
Pescababy1 Posts: 15 Member
edited April 2016 in Recipes
Sushi without the rice!

Sauted shrimp
Thinly sliced cucumbers
Thinly sliced avacado
Thinly sliced baby carrots
You can Stack them on top Of 1 another or slice the cucumber length wise to roll everything up!
Sriacha and soy sauce for dipping!
You can also roll in Nori(seaweed)..I just ran out.

They're delish and filling!

Calories vary depending on your goals
:smiley:

Cheers!

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • Pescababy1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok..umm..then don't make it
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sushi is all about the rice! That even where the name comes from - vinegared rice Su Shi. The rice is how you can tell it is a good restaurant (or good home cook!).

Base on what you describe why not just roll on a rice paper wrap as a Thai fresh spring roll....which is pretty much what you are describing.
  • yasef13
    yasef13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think that's why she called it 'faux sushi'! I think it sounds great, will have to try it.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Love the flavour of seaweed. Im going to try. Ive also replaced the rice with cauliflower rice. So good.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I thought sushi without the rice was sashimi
    I'll stick to the real thing. Had a lovely sushi feast last night. The calories were fine. The sake put me over the top though. But worth it.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Dont' want the calories? Just eat sashimi.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You could also order naruto style rolls since they're wrapped in cucumber. I'm not sure how to make it though I'm a terrible chef!

Either way what you made sounds good too. I'd eat it :smiley:
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You could also order naruto style rolls since they're wrapped in cucumber. I'm not sure how to make it though I'm a terrible chef!

Either way what you made sounds good too. I'd eat it :smiley:

https://google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwis4JjQ4JTMAhWBdyYKHddOCJkQtwIINjAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQS_R4ZEj7q0&usg=AFQjCNGqpuuC7TtIDDTFTNNHRQiSZO40Iw&sig2=AuLKtdSDYFOnpQvZwGirlA&bvm=bv.119745492,d.cWw

This is how we made cucumber "nori" for rolls without rice at my former sushi establishment. It's also very important to use the long greenhouse cucumbers instead of regular ones as they have more flesh and less seedy pulp.
  • Pescababy1
    Options
    yasef13 wrote: »
    I think that's why she called it 'faux sushi'! I think it sounds great, will have to try it.
    Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!
  • Pescababy1
    Options
    Ummm...it was a single recipe that I did at home everyone. I was simply sharing it because it was delicious. That's it.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    No one said that it wasn't delicious...its just not sushi. As mentioned you have described any number of rolls and dishes that can be found throughout Southeast Asia. Look up Thai or Vietnamese rolls.

As an aside, if you don't want a rice paper to roll, you can also get soy paper rolls.
  • Pescababy1
    Options
    Lol
    Cool
  • MissMonicaC4
    Options
    She called it faux people. Lol. Try tye recipe or dont. Sheesh cabeesh people are cranky this monday mornin lol
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's definitely sushi. Worked at a legit sushi restaurant owned and operated by a professionally trained (in Japan) sushi chef. We had many different types of this sushi roll. Sushi isn't always the traditional stuff on rice. Certain regional or modern forms wouldn't be recognized by most people as sushi, but that doesn't mean it isn't still sushi.

Plus, she did say "faux" sushi, and you can't tell me that this:
    6xdxgkpo15iz.jpg
    ez0p0cg3z453.jpg

doesn't look like this:
    wnlf56v23403.jpg
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Sushi is all about the rice! That even where the name comes from - vinegared rice Su Shi. The rice is how you can tell it is a good restaurant (or good home cook!).

Base on what you describe why not just roll on a rice paper wrap as a Thai fresh spring roll....which is pretty much what you are describing.

^ Yes. Otherwise go with sashimi.
  • MissMonicaC4
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »
    Nope, it's definitely sushi. Worked at a legit sushi restaurant owned and operated by a professionally trained (in Japan) sushi chef. We had many different types of this sushi roll. Sushi isn't always the traditional stuff on rice. Certain regional or modern forms wouldn't be recognized by most people as sushi, but that doesn't mean it isn't still sushi.

6xdxgkpo15iz.jpg
    ez0p0cg3z453.jpg

doesn't look like this:
    wnlf56v23403.jpg

Love it!! All looks yummy!!
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options

6xdxgkpo15iz.jpg
    ez0p0cg3z453.jpg

doesn't look like this:
    wnlf56v23403.jpg

Boo yah! Yes please :) HAHA
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

6xdxgkpo15iz.jpg
    ez0p0cg3z453.jpg

doesn't look like this:
    wnlf56v23403.jpg

Love it!! All looks yummy!!

I am not a huge fish fan, and so I always hated sushi. Until a sushi chef made a roll for me with really thin cucumber instead of nori. It was delicious.