Options
2»

Replies

• beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    If you want to burn more calories, really there are two things you can do:

1. Increase your body mass. Muscle would obviously be preferred to fat, here.
    2. Be more active in general. If you have a desk job, try a standing desk, take walks on your breaks, get involved in a sport or outdoor activity. On a full day hike, you might need 3,000-5,000 extra calories depending on weight and terrain - of course the downside is you're eating only what you can bring in a backpack.

It's a nice thought, but I don't think it would be possible for me to burn 5000 calories in a day.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    I
    I don't know, I'm weird like that.

I wouldn't say it's weird. I'd say you're reacting exactly how someone would on a restrictive diet like yours. It sounds like, and I'm sorry if I'm overstepping here, you don't have a very healthy relationship with food. Especially carby or starchy foods. It's okay to cut back but when you're restricting yourself and failing you need to re-evaluate what's going on. This route is obviously not working for you. There's no magic solution to this. Start exercising willpower because I can tell you it doesn't get any easier down the road when you're being so restrictive about things.

There is a double standard in OP's posts. Such as I like to binge, I eat KFC, etc... Priorities are not set right and the money being spent on KFC and binging foods can be redirected into more volumes of foods as described. Also a carton of egg whites is a bit cheaper than a whole dozen eggs and goes A long way and certainly a high protein and certainly will cure some saiety.

Don't cut the treats like chocolate every once in a while, or even daily (small bit) but use the rest of the money you have to buy the things you want to acheive in your diet, which I see is not being done very constructively.

I know, I'm trying to fix it, no one likes binging its disordered eating, I never claimed to be perfect. I'm trying to see if making those small changes I suggested will fix my calorie problem.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're binging because you're restricting too much.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Am I? I feel like I'm always hungry, or craving something in particular. I should probably have mentioned, I am on mood stabilisers which supposingly cause hunger/weight gain. (Epilium, if anyone is interested).

I avoid white carbs because I feel like they won't be that filling.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    I
    I don't know, I'm weird like that.

I wouldn't say it's weird. I'd say you're reacting exactly how someone would on a restrictive diet like yours. It sounds like, and I'm sorry if I'm overstepping here, you don't have a very healthy relationship with food. Especially carby or starchy foods. It's okay to cut back but when you're restricting yourself and failing you need to re-evaluate what's going on. This route is obviously not working for you. There's no magic solution to this. Start exercising willpower because I can tell you it doesn't get any easier down the road when you're being so restrictive about things.

There is a double standard in OP's posts. Such as I like to binge, I eat KFC, etc... Priorities are not set right and the money being spent on KFC and binging foods can be redirected into more volumes of foods as described. Also a carton of egg whites is a bit cheaper than a whole dozen eggs and goes A long way and certainly a high protein and certainly will cure some saiety.

Don't cut the treats like chocolate every once in a while, or even daily (small bit) but use the rest of the money you have to buy the things you want to acheive in your diet, which I see is not being done very constructively.

I know, I'm trying to fix it, no one likes binging its disordered eating, I never claimed to be perfect. I'm trying to see if making those small changes I suggested will fix my calorie problem.

Everyone responds differently to dietary changes, especially when you have meds interfering. WHy don't go ahead and try some of the small changes you're considering and see what helps? I suggest making only 1-2 changes at a time. Otherwise, you won't know what's helping & what isn't.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Am I? I feel like I'm always hungry, or craving something in particular. I should probably have mentioned, I am on mood stabilisers which supposingly cause hunger/weight gain. (Epilium, if anyone is interested).

I avoid white carbs because I feel like they won't be that filling.

Moot point though if you avoid things then just end up binging on something else later.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    If you want to burn more calories, really there are two things you can do:

1. Increase your body mass. Muscle would obviously be preferred to fat, here.
    2. Be more active in general. If you have a desk job, try a standing desk, take walks on your breaks, get involved in a sport or outdoor activity. On a full day hike, you might need 3,000-5,000 extra calories depending on weight and terrain - of course the downside is you're eating only what you can bring in a backpack.

It's a nice thought, but I don't think it would be possible for me to burn 5000 calories in a day.

If you went on a full day hike, and I mean hiking for 12+ hours counting only time actually spent hiking, that's fully reasonable, depending on the terrain you're hiking and how much you weigh. If you're overweight or the terrain is very hilly, you can definitely average the 415 calories/hour you'd have to sustain to burn 5000 calories in 12 hours.

Granted, that's a significant amount of hiking - around 25 to 35 miles depending on your hiking speed, or less if there's a lot of elevation changes.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Eat for volume with most bang for the caloric buck: sugar free jello, boneless skinless chicken breast, most vegtables, most melons, shiritaki noodles, tuna, plain greek yogurt, look up frotein on youtube or protein fluff, sugar free syrup, pb2, hot sauce, mustard, salsa, yes this may seem boring but it will get the job done if your trying to cut calories. Also Carmel corn rice cakes topped with light cool whip if you have a sweet tooth.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i used to buy kelp noodles, which have a very small amount of calories and not much flavor. i'd wrap them in a seaweed sheet, pour a little galeo's world's best miso sesame flavor dressing down the roll and munch away. the noodles are very crunchy, the dressing savory/sweet and the seaweed added a little more savory. about 50 calories per roll.

sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles are both winners. your favorite veggies (mine are brussel sprouts and asparagus) lightly steamed with 15 grams of galeo's sesame or ginger wasabe dressing, or you can make a slow out of cabbage, maybe some shreds of carrot and a little galeo's, (and no, i don't work for them, but their dressings are delish and versatile), add a little pepper and let it sit over night.