Tuna without mayo

Options

Replies

• augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not to be difficult, but have you considered switching to canned sardines instead? A lot more flavor and not dry like tuna is. No mayo needed. They often comes in lovely flavors, like smoked in olive oil and lemon. And you get a ton of omega 3 with them.
  • yoursingingrealtor
    yoursingingrealtor Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try a salad dressing. Poppyseed dressing tastes good with it to me.
  • ctsouza
    ctsouza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Asian tuna salad! So delicious, especially in a lettuce wraps with a little hoisin sauce and sriracha drizzled :)

-1/2c shredded carrots
    -1c shredded red cabbage
    -2 green onions thinly sliced
    -1/4c cilantro
    -2 cans drained chunk white tuna
    -1 clove garlic minced
    -1tsp grated ginger
    -3tbsp rice wine vinegar
    -1tbsp sesame oil
    -red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to your taste
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't like canned tuna but I put umeboshi vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper with broccoli slaw and cut up roasted chicken and it's great.
  • rosgonz20
    rosgonz20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mexica style, pico de gallo,& lime, and by the way same with sardine
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't drain all the of water and use Hellmans with olive oil
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Awww man I love tuna sandwiches but I can't eat them as I get tummy aches. When I did eat it and if I were to its gotta have mayo and celery
  • CLK63
    CLK63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I put plain yogurt, diced dill pickle, a little pickle juice out of the jar, black pepper and dried dill weed. Sometimes I will put green onions instead of the pickle. I always buy the solid white tuna, it's just better. :smiley:
  • jennineguidry1964
    jennineguidry1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I throw it on top of a nice salad with balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Due to food allergies, I use Sour Cream, Dill Pickle Relish, a little mustard, salt and pepper.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Real men drink coffee black and eat tuna plain.

So does this real woman - the tuna, I mean. Coffee may or may not have half and half, but usually does.
  • felicia__nicole
    felicia__nicole Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip
  • Tamijennelle
    Tamijennelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I put lemon pepper and hot sauce on it and eat it straight from the can.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    starkist.com/products/solid-light-tuna-in-extra-virgin-olive-oil

This is awesome in my view and comes in a 'man ready' pop a top can. It works well with my macro.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating tuna straight out of the can with no mayo. However, my macros allow it, and solid white albacore is a lot harder to go down without it compared to the Chunk Light........and I prefer the albacore as it has half the sodium and 1/3 more protein.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for that creaminess use cottage cheese or laughing cow cheese (mash it to cream it before adding tuna). I also add various chopped veg like onion, peppers - sweet or hot, cucumber, fresh spinach, pickles, etc. Add in some herbs.

Laughing Cow cheese: wonderful. Far better than Dairylea in my opinion. Even my hubby who wasn't really into things like this will eat them. In fact I will reach for the box in the fridge to find just one left. My favourite is the blue cheese one. Not overpowering at all.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I like to add a dollop of plain yogurt, a dash (or two) of curry powder, and some chopped green apple.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS ONE. budgetbytes.com/2012/10/tuna-white-bean-salad/

Budget Bytes is literally my favorite. Everything I've ever made using this site is super delicious and so easy. My husband makes this tuna salad at least once a week. Try it with the green onion. Delish.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I've always had tuna without mayo, and only learned people use mayo with it on the internet. Tuna, olive oil, capers, a diced tomato, a diced dill pickle, lemon juice, a pressed clove of garlic, dill weed and viola. If you like mayo you can make mock mayo with greek yogurt and vinegar. Not the real thing, but acceptable in a calorie pinch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks tuna with mayo is unusual... I think it's one of those US things!

I love tuna/avocado sandwiches - Sirena chilli tuna, mashed up avocado, splash of lemon juice and black pepper. On grainy/seedy bread. Yum!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have a can of tuna in my lunch salad with some zesty Italian dressing. The dressing & tuna work well together.