Help! Eating too many calories!

Options
Ive been changing my eating habits significantly the past few months--cut out processed foods almost completely (except coffee because I'm not a monster! And of course the occasional treat when I really want it), eating nearly triple the amount of vegetables i used to, filling my sweet cravings with fresh or frozen fruits instead of refined sugars, cutting out white/refined carbs, etc. The only problem is that even though I've made a lot of great replacements, I still struggle with eating LESS. I find myself still getting too big of portions and eating too much at each meal. I am currently in college and have a meal plan, so a practically endless supply of food has gotten me in the habit of eating too much of something because it tastes good rather than recognizing when my body is satisfied with the amount I've eaten. Can anyone offer any tips? I'm trying to incorporate more mindful, slower eating, chewing more, putting my fork down between bite and all that jazz. But I still find myself going up for seconds or taking too big of portions! Anyone who can relate have any good tips to keep me disciplined?

Replies

• mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Higher protein foods are more filling. It makes me want to eat less because I feel full. Sometimes I will drink 8Oz about 30 minutes before eating and another 8oz while eating and it really helps too, sometimes I think I am hungry when it's just thirst.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I just used willpower at first. Now it is a habit. It's all about changing your habits. It won't happen overnight and you need to apply some willpower. Some people prelog their food ahead of time and stick to what they have put down.

Do you log everything and do you measure everything with a scale? If you do that you would know how much your meal is worth and how much that second helping is going to add and you will see how little you'll be left for the rest of the day and you won't take it. At least this is how it works for me.
    At any rate, measuring everything with a scale is essential.
  • smecham351
    smecham351 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Those are great tips! I especially like the pre-logging idea--I think that seeing the impact of that second portion on the rest of my day would definitely deter me. I havent been measuring using a food scale so far (mostly because its a little embarrassing to do it in a dorm) but luckily my school has a pretty comprehensive database about their menu's nutrition info based on the portion sizes they measure (although this is limited to the stuff that they pre-portion for you, some is self serve. And there is bound to be error even in the preportioned stuff). Good news is that I will be moving off campus in two weeks and will absolutely start using a food scale then! Another thing that makes it difficult is that I am a pescatarian (vegetarian who eats fish) and the dining halls dont serve fish that often so im usually limited to their vegetarian options which are unfortunately very carb heavy (think pasta and rice dishes). Ive had to be creative in getting enough protein to keep me satiated. But again luckily i'll have much more control over the food i consume when I start cooking for myself in just a couple weeks :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good plan :) Two weeks is not that much.
    Good luck :)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you're eating in a dining hall, use a smaller plate.

As for not getting up and getting seconds, that's on you. There aren't any tips for that.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much always eaten whole and home-made foods (veggies, fruits, etc). Didn't stop me from gaining tons of weight and growing out of my pants.

To eat less calories... eat less calories. Its as simple as that.

Use MFP to log your meal ***Before*** you eat it. This helps you decide what an appropriate portion looks like.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Eat SLOWER! I've heard people say that it takes 10mins for your brain to realize that your tummy is full. This generally works for me. I eat most of my food and then wait a few minutes. If I'm still hungry, I eat the rest. But 90% of the time, waiting the 5-10 mins, makes me realize I'm really not hungry anymore. And if you're on a limited budget like me, any sort of leftovers, just means more food later I don't have to spend more money on.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Having an endless supply of food isn't an excuse. Diets take willpower.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you are focusing on eating lots of veggies and fruit, your diet might be low in protein and fat. Protein and fat can really help with feeling full. And as others have said, pre-logging has really helped me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    If you have been struggling with excess weight for a long time, trusting your sense of fullness is a dangerous thing. The very fact that a person has eaten too much regularly for a long time means that their sense of fullness is not working the way it should. I am sure it can be retrained, but I am guessing it will take a long time. In the mean time is it necessary to retrain yourself through ways of measuring your food intake and limiting calories.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes some universities have gotten rid of the tray so that you can't carry multiple plates. Does your college have a salad bar? garbanzo beans and nuts are a good way to get protein...