How do you prevent after dinner sweets & snacking?

Options

Replies

• april_slusher03
    april_slusher03 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You could try something like cantaloupe or watermelon. The calories aren't high for a decent amount. (They're my go to for my evening snack attack) :#
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I drink 25 calorie light hot cocoa as my treat. But, sometimes I just have to go to bed. It's my last resort before I go over my calories.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Very simple: Don't keep sweets and "snack foods" in the house. That way, no matter how badly you want them, they aren't there for you to consume. Make it so that the only things in your fridge and pantry are ingredients for meals.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for a cup of tea. For some reason that shuts down the cravings.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is flossing and brushing my teeth after dinner. (Sweet stuff actually tastes bad after brushing.) For sweet cravings during the day, I used to chew sugar-free gum. But, I don't seem to have those cravings any more.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    Very simple: Don't keep sweets and "snack foods" in the house. That way, no matter how badly you want them, they aren't there for you to consume. Make it so that the only things in your fridge and pantry are ingredients for meals.

Unless your'e like me last weekend. We had no chocolate ice cream. I wanted chocolate ice cream, so I went to the store and got some. Just because it isn't in my house means nothing. Will power is everything. When I was somewhere around 8 months pregnant with my twins, I went to walmart at 10:00 at night because I needed smarties. I ate inhaled the entire bag.

I do this a lot less than I used to, and last weekend, I did have the calories for the ice cream but just didn't have the ice cream. I'm about 1/2 mile from the nearest grocery store, which happens to be open 24/7, so the only thing stopping me from actually getting what I want is money or outside temperature/weather.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I save most of my calories for dinner/after dinner. I don't do much during the day activity wise anyway. Most of my activity comes from 3:30-on so I have a huge dinner and room for more after.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely a habit. It took me at least two months to get used to a new normal where I wasn't snacking throughout the evening and while watching tv. I did it gradually and eventually I lost that "pull" toward snacking. Weighing my snacks and knowing their caloric content helped me decide whether I really wanted to consume those calories at night.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A piece of dark chocolate if I must have something. Gummie vitamins are a nice little "treat." I usually go to bed not long after dinner and chores, so it's not usually an issue. Try eating later? Go to bed earlier? Flavoured green tea is nice. I like the chai and mint chocolate flavours.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Currently battling the urge to snack and I am resisting and it is working. I just keep reminding myself of the progress I have made so far and it seems to be doing the trick.
  • babycatchfire
    babycatchfire Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth helps + chamomile tea. If you like something sweet you can always add stevia or splenda.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was in the hospital for 6 weeks about a year ago and got a dessert for every lunch and supper, and then care packages from friends. When I got home, I had horrible cravings for candy, cookies, diet coke, etc. But I couldn't leave my house because I could only walk about 20 feet at that point, so I just dealt with it, and after about 2 weeks the cravings were gone again. I just don't buy sweets or ice cream, etc. If I want it, I buy the single serving little cups, individually. I suppose it helps that I'm 15 miles from the nearest grocery store. But I just don't buy the stuff I know I would over eat. If you go a week or so without it, the cravings go away.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My after-dinner routine is to consume 5 prunes and 2 fiber gummies. These serve a good purpose. Then if I have budget for sodium, a hot pickle. This is my special treat.
  • melissamk89
    melissamk89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jennylm87 wrote: »
    Currently battling the urge to snack and I am resisting and it is working. I just keep reminding myself of the progress I have made so far and it seems to be doing the trick.

That's what I did tonight...it's not worth it! I drank a big glass of water and it helped a lot :) we've got this!
  • melissamk89
    Options
    Brushing your teeth helps + chamomile tea. If you like something sweet you can always add stevia or splenda.

I tried chewing gum after dinner tonight and it actually helped! Must be similar to brushing your teeth, it took my mind off of snacking and made me feel satisfied
  • melissamk89
    Options
    sthome925 wrote: »
    As long as I eat every 3-4 hours and include protein in every meal, I've been able to get rid of all my after dinner cravings. I aim to have between 60-80 g of protein each day.

Good advice, I think I do need to up my protein intake! I focused on eating more protein today (I already eat 5-6 small meals a day but tried adding some sort of protein to each meal) and I really did feel more satisfied after dinner and didn't feel the need for a late night snack or chocolate! Thank you!
  • GiselleBrand
    GiselleBrand Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1) Flossing and brushing your teeth and getting out of the kitchen and dining room would be a good start to prevent snacking.
    2) Whenever, I go away on a meditation retreat, I do not have dinner at all every night for 10 consecutive nights. And I am always pleasantly surprised that I never experienced hunger once.
    3) Mind mastery through meditation works miracles and powerfully steers our minds away from food. Try it some time.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Try fasting. Skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner, and snack with the leftover calories after dinner.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Firstly you need to listen to your body. Are you actually hungry? If not, then make the conscious decision not to eat. If you think you are then have a drink because the chances are you actually are just thirsty. I drink lots of herbal, green, white teas. I have a camomile that's kinda sweet but naturally so, which takes away the sweet cravings. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I just save some calories to enjoy something sweet every night. I know I can't live life without them, but a little moderation (usually I have 1-2 servings of ice cream) works.