Is Diet soda ok?

Options
Can I replace soda with 0 calorie drinks and it not affect my weight loss? Has anyone switched from regular soda to diet soda and lost weight?

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost over 50lbs while drinking diet soda (I also switched from regular). I'm now 3 years into maintenance and still drink diet soda every day :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Switching from a 12 pk of Mountain Dew a week to water and diet soda definitely did not hurt my weight loss.

Some people say artificial sweeteners give them sugar cravings, which can cause them to go over their calories if they can't control it. If that isn't you, don't worry about it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Heck no!! Made me lose 121 pounds and kept it off for 19 months now and also made my blood work come out near perfect!! I only drank 1 diet soda a day too. ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A resounding yes!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand the question...
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    My lab retriever won't touch Diet Coke but I love the stuff.

My kids' hamsters wouldn't touch it, either. Because you should always give animals soda.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Won't affect your weightloss but not the best stuff for your body. Sweetener is safe for a large majority of people.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    My lab retriever won't touch Diet Coke but I love the stuff.

My dog loved diet coke.
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think Diet Pepsi in my opinion is a good treat once in a while.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes. I drink a couple a day. They're zero calories so they will not have any impact on weight gain or loss.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke or other drinks like it on a regular basis. I like the bubbles and the taste. It keeps me from drinking things with calories in it so it's definitely helped with my weight loss :smile:
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is literally poison in a bottle... or can. Try sparkling water it fulfills that bubbly craving, it's zero calories and delicious.
  • hopera
    hopera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's some research indicating that our brains expect calories after tasting something sweet and not getting the expected calories can trigger us to indulge. Maybe track your cravings and eating patterns after having diet soda for a few days just to be sure.

On a separate note, I'm a huge fan of grapefruit perrier, totally satisfying and refreshing!
  • amynicole4104
    amynicole4104 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tried diet soda a few years ago. Switched from regular. It gave me the worst sugar cravings. I didn't realize for a while what was causing it. It doesn't do that to everyone, just wanted to give you a heads up so you watch out for it.

That said, drink away!! The calorie count is what matters for weight loss. If it satisfies your soda craving, go for it!
  • pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners can cause insulin spikes which can result in fat storage mode. Sodas have higher sugar content which is a simple carb, also causes insulin spike. About the only benifit is it has no calories, whereas sugar should be 4 calories per gram. There is no actual nutritional benifit and no way to replace water. Water is actually one of the most important factors for fat loss. Try flavored waters or find out if it's just the carbonation you like. Even if its a 10 calorie flavored water, it will be more benificial than a diet soda plus you'll have more energy. Caffeine is still found in diet sodas and it is a stimulant (drug) to alter how your body feels, appearing to have more energy before it plumits. Going stim free provides a longer duration of clean energy