Is Diet soda ok?

Options

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    pwillis20 wrote: »
    Artificial sweetners can cause insulin spikes which can result in fat storage mode. Sodas have higher sugar content which is a simple carb, also causes insulin spike. About the only benifit is it has no calories, whereas sugar should be 4 calories per gram. There is no actual nutritional benifit and no way to replace water. Water is actually one of the most important factors for fat loss. Try flavored waters or find out if it's just the carbonation you like. Even if its a 10 calorie flavored water, it will be more benificial than a diet soda plus you'll have more energy. Caffeine is still found in diet sodas and it is a stimulant (drug) to alter how your body feels, appearing to have more energy before it plumits. Going stim free provides a longer duration of clean energy

Nope. The American Diabetes Association actually recommends diet soda for diabetics.
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html

And er, diet soda is mostly water. But besides that point, water isn't the most important factor in fast loss, eating at an appropriate calorie deficit is.

Do people even realize what they're typing, sheesh :p
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I really think it's a personal preference. I always think would I allow my kids to eat/drink something. Then I think if I don't let my kids do it, then why should I. Just something to think about.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »
    Can I replace soda with 0 calorie drinks and it not affect my weight loss?

I'll answer your question with a question:

Why do you think that something that is mostly water and has 0 calories would affect your weight loss?

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    LA CROIX, SPARKLING WATER ,NO SALT, NO SUGAR, JUST BUBBLES AND GREAT NATURAL FLAVORS.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have always hated water and drank soda
    Diet soda works well for me if I want to feel full
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in 18 months while still consuming liquor - bourbon & diet 7-UP. Just count the calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is literally poison in a bottle... or can. Try sparkling water it fulfills that bubbly craving, it's zero calories and delicious.

If it were poison, I don't think it would be available anymore.

I drink a can of diet soda with dinner every night and a glass when I go out to eat (every 4-6 weeks). Both of my parents have been drinking it for 10-20 years. No health problems have come from the consumption.
  • kimdawnhayden
    edited April 2016
    Options

malibu927 wrote: »

There are a lot of food items allowed in the U.S. that are banned in Europe. It's all about the money. Just saying.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

There are a lot of food items allowed in the U.S. that are banned in Europe. It's all about the money. Just saying.

There's a lot of food items allowed in Europe that are banned in the US.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options

True. So who will you decide to believe? I think it comes down to a personal decision on what you believe is best for yourself and people need to quit bashing each other for choices someone else makes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »
    Can I replace soda with 0 calorie drinks and it not affect my weight loss? Has anyone switched from regular soda to diet soda and lost weight?

Hi @tjsims88. As I'm sure you've seen,.this question comes up 3-4 times a week and is always an argument.

Some people may see increased bloating, migraines, or increased cravings because of artificial sweeteners (though that last can be counteracted by tracking calories). Those people should probably avoid diet soda, though they can weigh the pros and cons for themselves and come to their own decisions. If you don't have any of those issues, then it's entirely about your preferences.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

True. So who will you decide to believe? I think it comes down to a personal decision on what you believe is best for yourself and people need to quit bashing each other for choices someone else makes.

I personally don't care if people think diet soda is fine or if they think it's bad for you. The trouble arises when people use fearmongering language like "DIET SODA IS POISON!!!!!!!!!" and then provide no proof of their claim (and by "proof" I mean scientific studies, not blogs or Dr. Oz quotes).

So, yes, it's a personal decision. But posters shouldn't try to influence people by using scare tactics that have no basis in fact.

Or silly innuendos like "follow the money." Much better to look at hard evidence, and on diet sodas the evidence is pretty clear that they're fine unless you're one of very few individuals who have a sensitivity to certain artificial sweeteners.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is literally poison in a bottle... or can. Try sparkling water it fulfills that bubbly craving, it's zero calories and delicious.

@emmyschneid Which ingredients do you believe to be "literally poison" and at what dosage are they fatal?
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. I drink diet cherry coke and diet ginerale everyday.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    ***Reminder to self don't join in on a Diet Soda thread again. :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not okay... sublime! Try the Professor Fizz from Whole Foods for a walk on the wild zero calorie side.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

If it were literally poison, the sheer number of dead bodies - on the road, in restaurants, in workplaces with soda machines, etc. - would indicate a problem, yes?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    pwillis20 wrote: »
    Artificial sweetners can cause insulin spikes which can result in fat storage mode. Sodas have higher sugar content which is a simple carb, also causes insulin spike. About the only benifit is it has no calories, whereas sugar should be 4 calories per gram.
    It doesn't cause insulin spikes. If it did it WOULDN'T be recommended as a substitute drink by the AMERICAN DIABETIC ASSOCIATION.
    There is no actual nutritional benifit and no way to replace water. Water is actually one of the most important factors for fat loss. Try flavored waters or find out if it's just the carbonation you like. Even if its a 10 calorie flavored water, it will be more benificial than a diet soda plus you'll have more energy.
    The majority of a can of diet soda is...........wait for it.............water.
    Caffeine is still found in diet sodas and it is a stimulant (drug) to alter how your body feels, appearing to have more energy before it plumits. Going stim free provides a longer duration of clean energy
    Clean energy? So people that have any caffeine are burning "dirty energy"?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Dang. Must be a really weak "poison" then since for over 25+ years I've drank it and am still alive and kicking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png