Looking into wls, anyone else able to share your experiences?

Options
I've recently started to get the ball rolling with wls, I have a few more tests and a couple small requirements still to do, but after my 6 month supervised nut/excersize program is complete I could be looking at having the surgery done by mid October this year. Would anyone like to share their experiences with me? What kind of wls did you decide on and how it's impacted your life? Thank you! (This is something I have had in the back of my mind for years, but until recently I wasn't aware that it was covered by my insurance, and after talking to my PCP and my local surgery center who are both very supportive, it is now in the realm of possibilities)

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I booked a consultation but did it myself as with wls you'll still have to count calories with the risk of health problems
    My friend had bypass she got ill
    A lady near me died of wls after effects
    Bands slip can wedge into your stomach lining
    Or you get blockages one I read was so bad the food rotted in a stuck area behind band

All in all wls research is your best best surgeon success stories groups thats what I did tbh it'll be still the same as it is now as stomachs stretch bands go wrong :)
  • RaeNicole27
    RaeNicole27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im actually pre op for wls im having the bypass. I too have considered the risks of surgery however im ready for the lifestyle change im a type 2 diabetic so my absolute focus is to get the weight off and hopefully reverse my diabetes. I wish you lots of luck on your journey on ....whatever path you choose!!
  • wholenewjessica
    wholenewjessica Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im actually pre op for wls im having the bypass. I too have considered the risks of surgery however im ready for the lifestyle change im a type 2 diabetic so my absolute focus is to get the weight off and hopefully reverse my diabetes. I wish you lots of luck on your journey on ....whatever path you choose!!

Best of luck on your journey! When is your surgery?
  • sarebear97
    sarebear97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the gastric sleeve bypass in June. My clinic no longer does the band, because of such bad results. Don't get the band! I'd love to hear other people's stories of success with wls.
  • Moosh514
    Moosh514 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had bypass on Dec 30th. I've lost 72 lbs so far. I have 44 to go to hit my goal weight.
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    I had bypass on Dec 30th. I've lost 72 lbs so far. I have 44 to go to hit my goal weight.

Congratulations! That's amazing!!! :)
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    sarebear97 wrote: »
    I'm getting the gastric sleeve bypass in June. My clinic no longer does the band, because of such bad results. Don't get the band! I'd love to hear other people's stories of success with wls.

I'm personally leaning towards the sleeve myself, I'm kind of afraid of all the malabsorption issues with the other surgeries and I've heard of the band not being worth it for some people. Thanks for sharing!
  • powvens
    powvens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on March 31st. Could not be more please with results so far. Completely off diabetes medicine and high blood pressure medicine. I lost 20 pounds in the pre-surgery diet and have lost 20 more pounds since. My energy level is very much improved and feeling great.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had a VSG in April 2012. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. You will get a bunch of people on this site who will discourage you from getting the surgery. I think everyone has their own journey & for some, WLS is the right tool for the job. It is very important that you go into the surgery with the attitude that it is just a tool & you will need to put in the work to make it successful.

I originally went in looking to get the band. My surgeon was not doing them any more because the complications he was seeing outweighed the benefits. Between the bypass & the sleeve, I picked the sleeve because I did not want the malabsorbtion issues. Also, my sister had the sleeve about 18 months before I did & lost about 150 lbs., so I was more familiar with the procedure. I haven't had any problems or side effects aside from some mild nutritional deficiencies that really have more to do with my picky eating than the surgery. Even with a larger stomach, I would still be eating the same foods as I am now so I would still need to supplement with vitamins.

The sleeve helped with my constant hunger. I can now eat a small amount and be satisfied. I never really lost my hunger urge all the way like some people do, but it is now just normal & not overwhelming.

You can definitely eat around the surgery if you are not committed. I had some emotional upheaval & started binge eating last year & regained quite a bit. I am glad I had the sleeve because I was not able to eat as much as I wanted. Instead of an entire package of cookies, I could only eat a couple at a time. I really think this saved me from a huge weight gain. When I got it back together, I was able to pick up the pieces & use the sleeve to lose the weight again by following the basics I learned right after surgery. The moral of this story is to get your emotional health in order before your surgery if you need it, so you won't fall into this kind of mess.

I would do it again if I were given the choice. Good luck!
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    Thank you for your input! :smiley:
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had VSG on 10/15/15, so just six months out. I started logging my food on 8/25/15. To date I've lost 116lbs. By the end of October I had already come off of my bp meds. Last May my cholesterol was high, my triglycerides pushing 400. By March, all normal ranges, triglycerides at 75.

I decided on VSG because of malabsorption and other personal reasons and because I had everything thought out, my surgeon just laughed and went with it. Because I had severe acid reflux before I may still be on meds for that, but I'll take it!

It is a complete lifestyle change. The way you think about food, your relationship with it, how you deal around it. How you deal with every emotional situation needs to be changed. It's amazing the areas of my life it has affected.

Before, I couldn't walk a block without being winded, now I'm in the gym five days a week, I lift and use the cardio equipment. I take five mile walks because I'm bored. There's a beach in my neighborhood that I walk to and enjoy as often as possible. I've lived there three years, before surgery I had been there three times.

It's a huge commitment and will only work if you work it. The first 12 - 18 months are called the "Honeymoon Period" because in that time you can slack off and eat like crap and still lose. Once that period is over you had better have your lifestyle down if you want continued success.

So many people have had revisions from lap band to vsg or rny that many surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

Good luck with whatever route you choose! I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat!
  • hthr1969
    hthr1969 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I once weighed 350 lbs. I am female and in my 40's. I now weigh 205 lbs without altering my body with surgery. This July marks two years of changing my life. I wouldn't trade the struggle for anything. I have grown in mind and body. There is no quick fix.
  • misses00
    misses00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had rny 8 weeks ago and down 58 lbs. I feel better than ever physically.
  • FelliWelliJelliBelli
    FelliWelliJelliBelli Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm going to my first consultation June 1st. Planning on getting the sleeve. I hear a lot of good things about it. But everyone's journey is different. I just started this app last night and hope it becomes a good tool for me to keep track of things.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    something worth reading from a MFP member who did bypass surgery years ago.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/abanek1
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    something worth reading from a MFP member who did bypass surgery years ago.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/abanek1

Insightful thank you
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    I'm going to my first consultation June 1st. Planning on getting the sleeve. I hear a lot of good things about it. But everyone's journey is different. I just started this app last night and hope it becomes a good tool for me to keep track of things.

Best of luck!!!
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    misses00 wrote: »
    I had rny 8 weeks ago and down 58 lbs. I feel better than ever physically.

That's amazing!! Happy for you!!
  • wholenewjessica
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    Hi! I had VSG on 10/15/15, so just six months out. I started logging my food on 8/25/15. To date I've lost 116lbs. By the end of October I had already come off of my bp meds. Last May my cholesterol was high, my triglycerides pushing 400. By March, all normal ranges, triglycerides at 75.

I decided on VSG because of malabsorption and other personal reasons and because I had everything thought out, my surgeon just laughed and went with it. Because I had severe acid reflux before I may still be on meds for that, but I'll take it!

It is a complete lifestyle change. The way you think about food, your relationship with it, how you deal around it. How you deal with every emotional situation needs to be changed. It's amazing the areas of my life it has affected.

Before, I couldn't walk a block without being winded, now I'm in the gym five days a week, I lift and use the cardio equipment. I take five mile walks because I'm bored. There's a beach in my neighborhood that I walk to and enjoy as often as possible. I've lived there three years, before surgery I had been there three times.

It's a huge commitment and will only work if you work it. The first 12 - 18 months are called the "Honeymoon Period" because in that time you can slack off and eat like crap and still lose. Once that period is over you had better have your lifestyle down if you want continued success.

So many people have had revisions from lap band to vsg or rny that many surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

Good luck with whatever route you choose! I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! And congratulations on a healthy happier lifestyle!!
  • ruby1130
    ruby1130 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 26 days ago, down 27 pounds. Thanks for your story!