1 Week of Constipation, Bloating, and Constant Bowel Movements.

Options
I started going to the gym about three weeks ago. Prior I just walked the mall at a fast pace or did workout videos about 3-5 times a week. I also keep hydrated by drinking at least a gallon of water a day. I have also tried eating healhtier. I was focused on protein the past week and ate a lot of cottage cheese, bananas, eggs, etc. This past week has been a handful. First started out with rock size stools. Then start having difficulty going and getting anything out. Started taking milk of magensia, Prune Juice, Durolax Stool Softerner, drink tons of water, and up my fiber intake including fiber supplements. Still I am struggling with straining, getting some loose stool out, and feel backed up and bloated. Lots of needing to fart and ab pain. I have also taken gas-x to help these symptoms. When I do go I tend to go a good pile and the rest of the time it is small amounts here and there. I'm not quite sure where all of this BM is coming from. I have read up on having 1 to three bowel movements a day being normal. In the past it was normal for me to go every other day and sometimes more depending on what I ate.

Any ideas on what to do about my situation? I have considered going to the doctor at walk-in clinic but want some advice from others first.

Replies

• pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Anytime something like this happens to me it's usually when I'm on a high protein diet. It's harder for my body to break it down and I definitely get bloated and gasey, especially mixing it with high carbs. Typically I just cut my protein down just a bit for a few days and REALLY up my water intake. Fiber is also good place to start, but double check and make sure you need as much protein as your consuming and that you don't need more water depending on your body composition, activity etc.
    If menstrual is playing a role then hopefully the chicks will have some extra pointers
  • miller_linda
    miller_linda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the protein. After you eat heavy amounts of protein, goon as big a glass of water as you can. Also try to up your water consumption to one ounce per pound of body weight. You also need more fiber - try carrots and apples. Only take the softeners as a last resort. Good luck.
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If I have this issue I tend to try and snack on gala apples and carrots(raw). I like chia seeds sprinkled on Greek yogurt or inside of a smoothie, I would try to eat ask much fresh raw stuff for a couple of days.
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when I eat refined flour. Research points to round up as a dessicant in wheat flour...dries up wheat, can't imagine it wouldn't dry up your digestive tract: http://inhabitat.com/roundup-bread-the-real-reason-americans-are-intolerant-to-wheat/
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Banana makes me constipated, no fiber in it and it seems to clogg up my bowel.
    I need a high fiber diet more than anything to keep my bowels happy. So I eat a lot of fruits (apple, pear, orange, kiwi, prune) and unrefined carbs. I don't juice them as then I'd loose the fibre.
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh , Boy this sounds something like what happened to me last year. (Ever since that I now force myself to eat a small can of vegetables that consist of 1-2 cups or even 2cups and a half just to make sure I'm getting more fiber in my diet so I don't have to suffer through this nightmare once again.)

I say you should get that Miralax stuff it doesn't just soften the stool but it also helps you go especially if you take it right before bed. (Thats what I did , Its easy considering its a powder you mix into your drink.)

Next you should take a close look at how many calories your eating on here to make sure its not to low .(Mine was 1,200 before but after suffering from constipation ,I fixed the problem by raising it to 1,460.(sometimes I'll leave 200 calories free.)

I even now workout just one day of the week for 30 minutes with a 10 minute Warm Up then right after a 10 minute Workout then right after that a 10 minute Cool Down. (I read the exercise movement helps move everything in your digestive system).

An last but not least I Drink 8-10 cups of water every day now and 1 cup of coffee at times which seems to help my bowel movement after I wake up.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    One thing about bananas is their useful in cutting out diarrhea. I imagine they could cause a problem with constipation if you eat too many. Try other fruits.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am having similar problems. Metamucil just does not seem to help. Nor Gasex. The bloating drives me crazy and often my stomach is so bloated, it causes shortness of breath.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Banana makes me constipated, no fiber in it and it seems to clogg up my bowel.
    I need a high fiber diet more than anything to keep my bowels happy. So I eat a lot of fruits (apple, pear, orange, kiwi, prune) and unrefined carbs. I don't juice them as then I'd loose the fibre.

There is fibre in bananas, not as much compared to other fruit, but definitely some. If you're wanting to drink stuff just use an ordinary cheap blender, mine keeps everything together quite nicely.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over 6 weeks of constipation. It was horrible. I tried pretty much everything. The only thing that worked for me was miralax and getting my period. I made a conscious effort to not take ibuprofen for my cramps this cycle and my cramps have pretty much cleared me out now. Hopefully my constipation won't come back after my period is over. Good luck!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over 6 weeks of constipation. It was horrible. I tried pretty much everything. The only thing that worked for me was miralax and getting my period. I made a conscious effort to not take ibuprofen for my cramps this cycle and my cramps have pretty much cleared me out now. Hopefully my constipation won't come back after my period is over. Good luck!

im pretty constipated normally and its funny u mentioned this because during my period the cramps make me so regular.
  • adoredesirelove
    adoredesirelove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Newest info: Woke up this morning felt mostly fine. Tried to have a bowel movement got some out. Start drinking water and eating fiber foods. Now really bloated from the fiber foods. Just took some gas-ex so hopefully it gets better soon. :( Maybe try to lay low on both fiber and protein?
  • adoredesirelove
    Options
    And slowly increase both?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    How is your fat intake? Getting adequate fat can help. Maybe a check-in with your doctor would be a good idea.

Sorry you're having this problem, I hope you get things back to normal soon!
  • adoredesirelove
    Options
    Mixed nuts. Black Olives. Raw carrots. Mayonaise. Turkey. Tuna. Spinach wraps. Ketchup. Found a list of healthy fats and these are some I normally eat.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    healthy fats for every meal & snack will help your body digest better. High fiber diet helps for constipation but veggies can definitely cause bloat. the fats should help. The BRAT diet helps with diarrhea - bananas, rice, apples, toast. Also you mentioned lots of cottage cheese? Try eliminating dairy for a few days & see what happens. In my personal experience, a food elimination diet is the best was to get to the root cause of how your body reacts to certain foods. I now know that gluten makes me bloat, dairy gives me the runs, & bananas make me burp. :) Good luck!