Is calorie counting sustainable?

Options
2»

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Pretty sustainable for me. I pre-plan and pre-log my meals the night before, and then follow the plan. Keeps me on track all day with minimal time commitment (I can log my next day faster than I can brush my teeth in the evening).

I definitely plan to continue this forever. It keeps me on track without having to obsess or constantly think.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I hope so, or the last 4 years of my life have been a waste. I'm one of those people who will have to keep counting calories (aka food diary) for the rest of my life unless I really want to be Class 3 super morbidly obese again.
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is the only way that I can steadily lose weight & keep it off. I struggle with portion control so if I stopped weighing & logging I would definitely be overweight and remain overweight. If I'm honest I find it a ball ache at times but in the grand scheme of things its not that much of an effort especially if I want to stay on track. I've lost 18lb in around 3 months. I think I'll be calorie counting for the foreseeable future.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I find calorie counting with MFP effortless due to the ease of finding foods I've eaten in the past, the large database, and the ability to scan bar codes. Effortless means sustainable for me. Does it work? 72 pounds lost say "Yes".
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I dip in and out.
    I did brilliantly at first, decided to try to learn to eat intuitively, didn't see a huge gain in weight but my goals have changed again so I'm back to readjust my eating habits.
    It's more like a reflection of what I'm eating for me so I can see where I'm at.
    If you choose to do it long term then yeah, it's sustainable. More so than anything else I've heard of.
  • felicia__nicole
    felicia__nicole Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a week and I find it to be VERY tedious. I made a tuna fish sandwich today and it took me 5 minutes to get all the ingredients ientered inn, figure out serving sizes etc. That's going to be the hardest part of sustainability IMO.