Any vegetarian or vegan pals?

Options
I've been eating a vegan diet for the past 6 months, due to my teen daughter's over developed sense of empathy and her decision to be vegan. Any other vegans or veggos using My Fitness Pal? I'd love to swap recipes and menu ideas. Any other mothers of teens with extreme diet views. I want my daughter to be healthy and happy and am a little concerned she is going too far.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    DianePK wrote: »
    I want my daughter to be healthy and happy and am a little concerned she is going too far.

You might want to thoroughly research vegan nutrition on Google, to ensure that you both don't end up deficient in something. Recipes from strangers aren't necessarily nutritionally sound. :+1:
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I want my daughter to be healthy and happy and am a little concerned she is going too far.

Is she still in the "omg omg omg KITTENS ARE SOOOOO CUTE phase"? If so, she will likely grow out of this phase and learn to balance. Hang in there if so
  • fruitymanooh
    fruitymanooh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for 13 years, and I feel great! For the past few years I have followed a whole-food lifestyle that focuses on eating fruit and leafy greens, now adding more legumes again though.

I check my blood levels every year or so, and I supplement Vitamin D and B12. Most people (not just vegans) are deficient in these. As an introduction to vegan nutrition, I recommend this video and the links mentioned in the description: https://youtu.be/ID_2ymmvW5w
  • fruitymanooh
    fruitymanooh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, congratulations to your daughter for making the step towards veganism! Not only will she save many many animals from suffering, she will do a great deal for the environment, against climate change, for equality and peace. And if she follow basic nutrition principles, she won't die of any of the common causes of death. She won't get heart disease, strokes, diabetes etc. I'm happy for her, and happy that you are supportive.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My blood values are perfect since I became a vegetarian 10 years ago. Also by using only imported olive oils my cholesterol dropped 60 points in 10 months. I do eat eggs but they must be certified humane and free to roam and cage free. I rarely use dairy. Plus studying nutrition in college, I became convinced to go this direction.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. The only issue really is iron because your body cannot absorb it from non-meat sources without vitamin C at the same moment. Basically you can get your iron by mixing citrus things with eating spinach, etc. Or taking your iron supplement alongside a glass of orange juice.
  • kirakinss
    kirakinss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan since my junior year in high school, and now I'm four years out! It's really great that you support your daughter, because coming from an Italian family, vegetarians (let alone vegans) are considered pretty much crazy. Even though my parents were good with it I had to learn to cook for myself, which is just one of those things that comes with choosing to be vegan.

But health wise, I am probably in the best shape now than I have ever been. I have been getting routine blood checks (at my parents requests) and have passed every one with flying colors because now I know more about what nutrients and minerals my body needs because I'd like to think I'm still growing haha. I actually made dinner for the familia of carnivores last night and we did not miss the animal products!

: dweph7bls25v.jpg
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Is she still in the "omg omg omg KITTENS ARE SOOOOO CUTE phase"? If so, she will likely grow out of this phase and learn to balance. Hang in there if so

No she is very bright and worries about climate change, animal rights and the impact of monoculture on the land. I respect her values and empathy, so I don't think it is a phase. She's always been mindful of the planet, and I think this is an extension. She has asked for Dr's tests to make sure she isn't deficient in any nutrients.
  • DianePK
    Options
    Also, congratulations to your daughter for making the step towards veganism! Not only will she save many many animals from suffering, she will do a great deal for the environment, against climate change, for equality and peace. And if she follow basic nutrition principles, she won't die of any of the common causes of death. She won't get heart disease, strokes, diabetes etc. I'm happy for her, and happy that you are supportive.

I think this is where she is coming from. Frankly I don't like eating meat, never really have, and I was a vegan for a year in college and vegetarian for 3 years. I only started back eating meat because I thought I wasn't getting full nutrition and it was before the internet and I was following a dietician's advice. I now realise there were other foods I could have eaten instead.

Since switching to a plant based diet I have lost weight, that has taken 6 years to shift, and will continue along this path, as I feel cutting out animals and alcohol has made me feel better in my skin. Speaking of skin I can see a huge difference in my skin's texture for a 46 year old.
  • DianePK
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian. The only issue really is iron because your body cannot absorb it from non-meat sources without vitamin C at the same moment. Basically you can get your iron by mixing citrus things with eating spinach, etc. Or taking your iron supplement alongside a glass of orange juice.

That's interesting, I will take this on board.
  • DianePK
    Options
    kirakinss wrote: »
    I've been vegan since my junior year in high school, and now I'm four years out! It's really great that you support your daughter, because coming from an Italian family, vegetarians (let alone vegans) are considered pretty much crazy. Even though my parents were good with it I had to learn to cook for myself, which is just one of those things that comes with choosing to be vegan.

But health wise, I am probably in the best shape now than I have ever been. I have been getting routine blood checks (at my parents requests) and have passed every one with flying colors because now I know more about what nutrients and minerals my body needs because I'd like to think I'm still growing haha. I actually made dinner for the familia of carnivores last night and we did not miss the animal products!

: dweph7bls25v.jpg

Yes, my mum wasn't exactly embracing of my veganism, cooking a lamb roast when I visited. But most people are either dismissive of vegans or threatened. The first thing most people say is "I don't really eat much meat" or they try to argue the values of eating meat. It's like deep down they are trying to justify their lifestyle choices despite the fact that I never criticise my omnivorous friends. Everyone has the right to choose their own dietary preferences IMO.
    Last night we had a beautiful veggie curry, and the night before we had stuffed pumpkin. We eat very well.
  • DianePK
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

It was her reaction to eating dairy inadvertently that concerned me. She really hated herself, and her vehemence was the thing I was worried about, not the vegan values.