Is it a bad idea to do a weigh in while on your period?

Options
2»

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself two days ago (off schedule from my normal Monday weigh-in) during TOM and noted a 4 pound gain. I'm not sure if this was just TOM or eating like crap last week while in Europe. Probably both.

We'll see what happens on my Monday weigh-in after eating at regular calorie levels and working out consistently for 4 days with to TOM present.

I will just tell you ladies, I had a high enough BMI that my period just "stopped". Now being that I have a genetic disorder which causes early menopause if not no actual period due to low presence of estrogen and progestrone. However I was one of the lucky few who was able to go through adolescence without taking hormone replacment therapy. Anyway, I thought my disorder caused my lack of that TOM, however I was happily wrong.

By losing 20 lbs, and 4 points off my BMI my period returned. Because I knew about water retention I took Midol and drank a cup of coffee a day.... the caffeine in both is a natural diuretc, which helps us get rid of waste, if you get what I mean and helps us get rid of the excess salt in our bodies that help us retain water.

I actually wound up losing 2 more lbs while on my TOM.

As for the Europen Food.... if you ate in France, Italy, Spain and England you know they serve rich food. The French and Italians are notorious for using copious amounts of buttered sauces and demiglaces, etc.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself two days ago (off schedule from my normal Monday weigh-in) during TOM and noted a 4 pound gain. I'm not sure if this was just TOM or eating like crap last week while in Europe. Probably both.

We'll see what happens on my Monday weigh-in after eating at regular calorie levels and working out consistently for 4 days with to TOM present.

I will just tell you ladies, I had a high enough BMI that my period just "stopped". Now being that I have a genetic disorder which causes early menopause if not no actual period due to low presence of estrogen and progestrone. However I was one of the lucky few who was able to go through adolescence without taking hormone replacment therapy. Anyway, I thought my disorder caused my lack of that TOM, however I was happily wrong.

By losing 20 lbs, and 4 points off my BMI my period returned. Because I knew about water retention I took Midol and drank a cup of coffee a day.... the caffeine in both is a natural diuretc, which helps us get rid of waste, if you get what I mean and helps us get rid of the excess salt in our bodies that help us retain water.

As for the Europen Food.... if you ate in France, Italy, Spain and England you know they serve rich food. The French and Italians are notorious for using copious amounts of buttered sauces and demiglaces, etc.

Denmark.

I ate a lot of dessert and Danish chocolate. The meals (minus the dessert) were nicely portioned. They were made with butter and a bit of cream, but that's okay. It wasn't heavy. Ate a lot of smoked herring and salmon salad.

If I had better willpower and ate only half the dessert I'd probably be in okay shape this week :)
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Denmark.

I ate a lot of dessert and Danish chocolate. The meals (minus the dessert) were nicely portioned. They were made with butter and a bit of cream, but that's okay. It wasn't heavy. Ate a lot of smoked herring and salmon salad.

If I had better willpower and ate only half the dessert I'd probably be in okay shape this week :)

Ahhhh. Desserts like cakes are hardest to portion out. A normal restaurant size piece of cake is actually 2 servings..... it least that's my estimate. Too bad we can't bring a food scale with us to restaurants.... I think the restaurant servers and cooks would feel insulted LOL.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but pay no attention to gains during the week before and week of - they're usually pretty fleeting and not more than about 3lbs - 4lbs. It always disappears right after my period goes and often takes an extra couple of lbs with it. I've been doing this for a while now so I've stopped freaking out when I put on a couple of lbs for no reason. As long as I've been behaving I know that it's just water weight/hormones/sodium issues and it'll disappear in a few days!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Denmark.

Ahhhh. Desserts like cakes are hardest to portion out. A normal restaurant size piece of cake is actually 2 servings..... it least that's my estimate. Too bad we can't bring a food scale with us to restaurants.... I think the restaurant servers and cooks would feel insulted LOL.

The desserts that were catered were served in shotglass portions, so that was good. It was about the equivalent of 1.5 ounces. The dinner desserts were served in small bowls with a side garnish of yogurt sorbet (decent). The thing was, two desserts per day is just too much. Just eating a lunch (shotglass) serving would have been fine. Then add in the couple sticks of chocolate I HAD to buy at the store to try because it was new and shiny and I'd never tried the kind before...

See, it was really challenging because the plates were laid out in front of you, and sometimes I get that "oh crap, I need to finish the plate" urge, and that's not good. It was all served in courses, all provided by the hotel chef. Which meant awesome food, but a LOT of calories. If I was on my own for a few days - either eating buffet style or getting food out at cafes, I would have most likely lost weight.

If you're out and about on your own in Copenhagen, prepare to lose weight :) The food is insanely expensive there.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    um my period a few days ago I weighed in at 140 sometimes.. I actually weigh 132.5....
  • carolynmaude
    Options
    I had this problem this month. After coming off the Pill I had a proper period for the first time in years and weighed myself as usual on Saturday morning first thing. I had gained 3lbs! It didn't help my mood to put it mildly. However, a week later I weighed and lost those 3lbs plus another 2lbs. Phew! I would suggest that you still weigh yourself but just allow for bloating. If you know you've eaten well there's no reason why you would put on any fat, just water (and maybe all those hormones weigh a few pounds too)
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. I don't know why I get so discouraged when it goes up. I'm the queen of telling my husband "it's just natural fluctuation" every time he gets on the scale and it's gone up slightly from the day before for no good reason. So it's even more discouraging that I get so discouraged! I'm doing a weight loss challenge right now and we have to pay $5 for every pound we GAIN from one weigh in to the next. Yeah, today I was up 2 pounds because of my special week. I knew I wasn't the only one, but I think my husband started to think I was crazy! :)