How many calories should I be eating a day?

I'm 5'9 170lbs with a pretty athletic build. I was 249lbs and lost all of the weight on a 1200 calorie diet, but now I'm trying to build muscle and bulk. I don't have loose skin etc, I really just want to build up my muscles! 1200 calories no longer seems like enough for me with the heavy weight training I'm doing. I run about 4 miles a day 6 days a week so I'm burning about 500-600 cals per day in cardio, plus my lifting. I'm cutting back on cardio now that I'm lifting as well so I'm not over training. Any info on how much I should be eating would be appreciated!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If you're wanting to bulk, set your goal to gain .5-1 pound per week. That'll be a huge jump from 1200, so you'll probably want to increase your calories gradually until you reach that amount.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I don't think you're burning 500 calories from 4 miles run. But yeah, 1200 calories is way too little.

I suggest you go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and see what it tells you with a 15% deficit.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't think you're burning 500 calories from 4 miles run. But yeah, 1200 calories is way too little.

I suggest you go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and see what it tells you with a 15% deficit.

I run at a 10% incline. I'm easily burning 400 calories. That was just a low estimate. I think I burn far more than that Bc of the incline and the sweat that pours off of me. Lol!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member

Actually someone of average weight can burn 100 calories per mile quite easily, on a incline and intensity dependent, 400kcal for 4 miles isn't unachievable. It also has no baring on what she is asking.

1200 calories seems extremely low for someone with no intention of loosing weight. Run your numbers through an online calculator, once you've calculated your BMR and TDEE adjust your calories accordingly. If you wish to build muscle and bulk you'll want to be eating a calorie surplus and it seems on 1200 you might be a fair few calories from that. Malibu927 is completely right, it's likely to be a big jump in numbers so it might be wise to gradually increase your intake rather jump into it.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member

Actually someone of average weight can burn 100 calories per mile quite easily, on a incline and intensity dependent, 400kcal for 4 miles isn't unachievable. It also has no baring on what she is asking.

1200 calories seems extremely low for someone with no intention of loosing weight. Run your numbers through an online calculator, once you've calculated your BMR and TDEE adjust your calories accordingly. If you wish to build muscle and bulk you'll want to be eating a calorie surplus and it seems on 1200 you might be a fair few calories from that. Malibu927 is completely right, it's likely to be a big jump in numbers so it might be wise to gradually increase your intake rather jump into it.

Thank you : ) I wouldn't mind losing fat, but I'm not focused on losing weight. I want to replace the extra fat with muscle so I no longer bother to weigh myself, but rather keep measurements. I was always taught that women are to be lean and skinny, keeping their calories low, so trying to get out of that mentality and up my calorie intake without feeling like I'll put on fat has been difficult. As a woman when you say you want to "bulk", people look at you like you're crazy. Haha. I don't want to be barrel shaped or muscle bound, I want to be toned and strong! What's so wrong with that!