Can you really ANYTHING and lose weight (as long as it fits your daily allowance)?

Options
Hi! Interested in hearing from the community on this:

1) Can you really ANYTHING and lose weight (as long as it fits your daily allowance)?
2) do you look at calories only, or do you make sure that what you eat fits your macros?

Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) yes.
    2) protein. Along with a modest deficit and lifting weights, adequete protein helps maintain muscle mass. You don't have to watch macros for weight loss though.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1) Yes. Calories in, Calories out. I've personally lost 79 lbs eating everything, in moderation, and within my calorie goal (most of the time)
    2) I typically look at calories first, protein second, carbs 3rd, etc. I try to hit my protein goal as much as possible, the rest usually falls into place.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. But I make sure to eat a variety of things for my main meals, and then my snacks and sweets are saved for the evening with what calories i have left. I do look at calories when I choose pretty much everything, but just to make sure it's going to fit with what i have to work with. The only macros I pay attention to are protein and fiber.

But yes, you can really eat anything and lose weight. This does not mean eating an entire day's worth of calories in donuts & doritos is advisable for anyone to do. (I just wanted to say that before someone comes in and thinks that's what eating "anything" means.)

Calories for weight loss.
    Variety of all food groups for nutrition and health.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    leaj1984 wrote: »

1) Can you really ANYTHING and lose weight (as long as it fits your daily allowance)?
    2) do you look at calories only, or do you make sure that what you eat fits your macros?

Thanks!

1. Yes
    2. I look to calories and protein first and then keep an eye on fat and fiber. The rest falls into place most of the time. Keeping an eye on these things means I won't hit my goals on a diet of just ice cream and popcorn (although if I had my way I'd consider it some days). But it also lets me focus more on what I'm putting into my diet instead of what I'm taking out, and that mindset helps my sanity. There's almost always room for a bit of ice cream and popcorn, though.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    #1 YES
    #2 I try to make sure I get enough protein and fiber (always a struggle to get that fiber!). Other than that I don't worry too much about macros. However, my goal is always to have complex carbs, good fats, and protein with every meal, no matter if it's a snack or dinner or whatever. I think it's important to get a bit of everything!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Broken record time, but:

1) Yes. I plan all my days in advance, and I try to make my large meal something I personally find very filling, but I can put whatever else I like into my day as I see fit.
    2) Calories are a must-do, protein is a nice-to-do, all other macros fall wherever they may.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I watch both calories and macros. Choosing the right macros for me makes staying in a deficit easier.
  • anniesmomma2015
    anniesmomma2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As someone with pcos and an elevated blood sugar I watch carbs and calories....religiously together. I still eat pretty much what I want, but have cut back or changed the way I eat it. If my blood sugars are up and I really want pasta, im probably not going to eat it. Its all about learning what your body can process and how bad youre going to feel later if you eat it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,205 Member
    Options

Thanks!

1) Yes.

2) Calories only.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks!

1. As others have said, yes you can eat anything and lose weight, as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit
    2. I only look at calories. I've never tracked macros (I've edited my tracking area and removed the macros options).

I eat all the foods I like, haven't cut anything out and I eat a varied diet which includes everything from fast food a few times a week, to veggies every day. I track my calories, use a food scale to measure out portion sizes and then I stay within my calorie goals. I've lost around 50lbs doing this, am in excellent health and I've been in maintenance for 3 years now.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, fat loss and fat gain is nothing more than energy balance. Surplus energy is stored as body fat, a deficit in energy uses stores of body fat to make up the deficit. As calories are a measurement of energy, then yes, when looked upon in isolation of 'weight loss' it's all about calories.

Macronutrients are important when you look at things like overall nutrition, adherence, athletic recovery and performance and all those things.

Don't look at them as separate issues but instead issues that compliment each other.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    1. Yep - Calories in VS calories out is a rule, how you apply that is up to you.
    2. I don't really focus too much on my macros anymore - it was stressing me out too much. I eat a balanced diet and generally get things right - but if I want pasta but I really should be having steak to meet my protein goal, I don't worry about it.

Ditto. I hit my protein goal 90% of the time anyway.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, you really can! I eat like a child, everything I eat is processed, apart from the odd chicken breast. I've lost 5 and a half stone in the past year.

I don't pay much attention to my macros at the moment. I will when I hit my goal. I do pay attention to the protein and fat though, make sure I get enough protein and not too much fat, over my daily amount.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I lost 155 pounds eating what I wanted, as long as it fit within my calorie goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) Yes
    2) Calories but also Protein and a general eye over nutritional balance

boring repetition is boring
  • leaj1984
    leaj1984 Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    thanks everyone! I used to see a nutritionist who convinced me the only way to lose weight was by eating a plant based diet with a little protein, no grains (not even quinoa), no oatmeal (I had to make chia puddings instead in the morning) with 2 cheat meals (not days!) a week for sanity. Snacks were to be made up of flaxseed crackers & avocado, or 1 fruit. No protein bars, and she used to call granola "a crumbled cookie, which is a big no-no". :s This has messed with my mind so much, I can't even begin to tell you. Not to bash this lady, whose prescribed diet (or lifestyle) sounds healthy and lovely for those who can keep up with something like that, but I've a sweet tooth and a little bit of chocolate in the afternoon is all I ask for o:) Under her plan, I wasn't allowed even 2 squares of 72% dark choc. She said to save it for the cheat meals! Believe me, once the cheat meals came, I was hungry for a LOT more than just 2 squares of dark chocolate. Hello binge-eating pattern!

Basically even though I have read over and over about the Calories in & Calories Out law of physics, there is still that little side of me that's like, "Come on, you can't lose weight by eating Nutella, or having pancakes for breakfast!"

It's refreshing to hear from you all that it is indeed possible and it is REAL. I love hearing success stories and find it hugely motivating to read your answers.

Btw when i say eating Nutella / pancakes for breakfast: I, of course, mean within the daily allowance and not the whole jar :) It's just that these are foods that I love so much and was deprived of them for so long (which led to binging on them during those 2 cheat meals a week), that I almost can't believe that it is POSSIBLE to lose weight without constantly feeling deprived and SAD!

Thanks everyone :)
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    1) Yes
    2) I don't ever pay any attention to macros when planning meals but I seem to naturally end up at roughly the same percentages most of the time.

I eat chocolate, pastries, pasta, bread, cheese, pizza, full-fat everything, nutella, peanut butter... none of that has got in the way of losing 40lbs. I never, ever, ever eat less than 1650 (I'm 44 and 5'3").
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    1. Yes
    2. At this point I don't worry about my macros except salt.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Thanks!

1) I have been able to eat the foods I normally ate and wanted to eat in appropriate portion sizes. I logged it all and if I ate the right amount of calories I lost weight.
    2) I look at calories first, then my protein and sodium goals. I try to eat several servings of vegetables or fruits a day. I find the other things take care of themselves if I am doing those things okay.

How my eating has changed in practice-
    I pre-log my food for the day so not spontaneous eating.
    I only eat one restaurant meal a week and I plan what I will order in advance.
    I choose to eat less bread, chips, crackers, and cheese because they add a lot of calories, sodium and not much protein. I've found cereal doesn't satisfy me so I don't eat it very often. I get a thin crust pizza and eat 1-2 slices with a salad. I eat a normal hamburger with a salad. I still eat pasta, potatoes and rice but sometimes I try things like zoodles or cauliflower. I eat less fried food because I don't always want to use my calories on oil. I choose a vinaigrette salad dressing more often because it is easier to use less. I use spinach instead of iceburg lettuce in salads, sandwiches, tacos because there is more flavor and more of a nutritional punch. I drink water or unsweetened tea and save my calories for food.
    I do eat things like pie, cake, cookies or chocolate.