Metabolism? Thermogenics?

Options
I have been thinking about taking some supplements to increase metabolism or a thermogenic and such, like Torrid or HyperShred, Shred Matrix. Does anyone have any hints, tips, or advise? I've been reading reviews and there are alot of mixed comments!

Thanks,

Ceira

Replies

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have no information handy to back this up, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those products don't work. Or at least don't work like they claim they do.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Coffee is cheaper. The best way to boost your metabolism is to exercise more.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Everything I read thermogenesis I think about the poor lass in the uk that basically boiled to death as her body ramped her temperature up because of the pills she took......and another if they worked woukd we be here?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Ironically, you already have a higher metabolism because you are overweight. Use that to your advantage instead of wasting your money on quick fixes.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Coffee is cheaper. The best way to boost your metabolism is to exercise more.

this^
  • betzd189
    betzd189 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When you use those your body relies on them and stops producing its own type of thermogenics/metabolism . Then once you get off the pills your body's metabolism is shot and you'll gain weight fast. Those things are just unhealthy like the other said coffee is the best.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree that they aren't worth the $ and just don't work. I've tried many and no results, EVER. I wasn't a coffee drinker until recently but I really think it helps keep me on track ... fills me up and I swear I've been losing weight faster since I started drinking it! I don't like regular coffee but found some 3 calorie flavored k-cup options for the Keurig we have at work. Green Mountain French Vanilla with Splenda is good!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Good for GNC'S bank account.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    betzd189 wrote: »
    When you use those your body relies on them and stops producing its own type of thermogenics/metabolism . Then once you get off the pills your body's metabolism is shot and you'll gain weight fast. Those things are just unhealthy like the other said coffee is the best.

The bold is true. The rest, not so much.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Ironically, you already have a higher metabolism because you are overweight. Use that to your advantage instead of wasting your money on quick fixes.

This. So much this.

Not to mention looking for band-aid solutions doesn't improve your chances at making it a lifestyle change. Your mentality still needs to be patched. You're speaking like someone who's bound to yo-yo dieting for a lifetime.

Have some willpower. Eat less and exercise.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Open the door, go for a walk.

You've just contributed far more to your calorie deficit than any over-the-counter weight loss pill will.
  • CeiraDenise
    CeiraDenise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I am really trying to get to the gym and get my mind set on these goals that I want.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    https://eatingrules.com/mitochondrial-density-and-metabolic-flexibility/

Increasing one's number of mitochondria is one way we may increase our CO of CICO. Working out and/or taking a supplement like PQQ or others that encourages mitochondrial biogenesis is the only safe way I know to speed up one's metabolism . Chemicals that artificially speed up one's metabolic rate sounds dangerous or worse to me.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I am really trying to get to the gym and get my mind set on these goals that I want.

This is what i was saying for years, until a couple of years ago, when it finally clicked for me:

"Getting to the gym" and "losing weight" are separate goals.

Losing Weight
    All you need to do to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight. That is it!

Use the information at MyFitnessPal (or elsewhere) to estimate your TDEE (the number of calories a day to keep your current weight) and then subtract 500 calories from that, and set this as your new daily calorie goal.

Then learn to control the calories you actually eat: count ALL snacks, treats, etc. Build habits to get your daily calories within your goal, and you will lose one pound each week.

Edit: Note, i said to count snacks, not avoid them! I still have the occasional slice of pizza, or make fresh brownies, or enjoy a bit of ice cream. I just make it count in my calories for the day, or over the next few days, and there is no need for guilt, or "cheat" days.

Every once in awhile, re-calculate your TDEE, since it will get lower as you lose weight.

Getting to the Gym
    This is a good goal too, but is not necessary for weight loss. The gym is to make your body more fit - depending on your goals and workout, the gym will help you become stronger, better cardio, better flexibility, etc.

But if you eat poorly, you won't lose weight no matter how much you go to the gym.

Think of it this way: i went for a 1/2 hour run this morning, and because of my size i burned nearly 400 calories in that 1/2 hour. That's about an order of french fries.

If i want to simply lose weight, it's easier to replace french fries with carrot sticks, than to run 1/2 hour. And as i began to lose weight, the exercise became much, much easier, too.