Chinese Food :/

Options
My husband wants to get Chinese food tonight and I know I should avoid it all together, but I would like to treat myself a bit. Is there ANYTHING on a Chinese menu (take-out) that would be "okay" to eat?? How would I figure out portion size also??

Replies

• Addy0315
    Addy0315 Posts: 48
    Options
    No idea how to figure the size but I homemake beef-n-broccoli all the time and its my fav chinese food!! Eat a stir fry with lots of veggies. Thats what I would do if I was getting chinese. =)
  • 1carson
    1carson Posts: 4
    Options
    I say don't do it. Chinese food is not good for you. If you have the self control to say no, you will be really proud of yourself tomorrow, instead of being mad at yourself tomorrow.

6654546.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It depends how far along you are in your journey. If your just starting out, i say no.
  • phatdiva26
    phatdiva26 Posts: 42
    Options
    when i do order chinese I get a small steamed chicken with broccoli...i get the brown sauce on the side and I do eat the white rice(some times i finish it and other times i dont)...then at home i mix everything together in a bowl...it is so delish:bigsmile:
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    From what I have noticed saying no to everything and never treating yourself will end up in bing eating. Why not try to get some tofu with veggies.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    get the chicken and broccoli STEAMED no sauce.... DEF low in cals, fat, etc!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    wonton soup?
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also say no, if you can, last time I got chinese food takeout (work bought us lunch) I got REALLY sick. And I got steamed chicken and veggies w/ no sauce. NOT WORTH IT!

Order pizza if you need a cheat day ;)
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    As a big LOVER of Chinese food, I find its best not to skip the things you really want. Just eat them, forgive yourself tomorrow and make up for it the rest of the week. Sodium is a killer, but not having it will only lead you to trying to replicate that "want" longer than if you had it and moved on.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Sounds perfect, thanks!!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes that would be a better choice, I make my own vegetarian Thai
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    biggest problem with chineese food is it has more sodium in it then anything else...like over 8,000 mg a meal=(
  • BigClaire88
    Options
    Chinese is probably the hardest thing for me to say no to.. but I made a seriously tasty chilli beef stir fry the other night and it beat the chinese on flavour and healthiness hands down!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    As a big LOVER of Chinese food, I find its best not to skip the things you really want. Just eat them, forgive yourself tomorrow and make up for it the rest of the week. Sodium is a killer, but not having it will only lead you to trying to replicate that "want" longer than if you had it and moved on.

Yea, I usually cheat 1 time over the weekend. I work hard all week, I don't want to never enjoy things like that again! LoL
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken and broccoli with garlic sauce is one of the lower cal options for chinese and absolutely DELICIOUS. When I had gestational diabetes this was my go-to because of the low carb content along with lower cal. Go easy on the sauce and rice and you'll have a delicious, low-cal meal. I still order it even when I'm not counting calories.
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Steamed shrimp and broccoli. Hold the sauce.

Rice if you so choose.

Don't "not" eat a certain ethnic cuisine because it's not good. Learn the good options....and there are good options in everything.

Measure what you eat and stay within your daily allotment. In the future get in some extra exercise so you can get more of what you want and then it truly is a treat.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I might get a vegetarian mu shu dish..... but that's me :-)
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

Yea, I usually cheat 1 time over the weekend. I work hard all week, I don't want to never enjoy things like that again! LoL

Eventually just try for once a month. That's what I'm down to, and when I get that Chinese Food, I love very bite of it :)
  • jezirus
    jezirus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did, and it worked for me... I knew I was going to celebrate my hubby's 40th birthday by going out for dinner for chinese, his choice... so I worked out extra hard and long in the morning, burning lots of calories. I also ate a light breakfast and a light dinner, and then I ate smaller portions of everything I wanted when we went out for dinner, dessert included! I felt great that I had already exercised the calories off, didn't feel deprived, and I know we won't be doing the chinese thing more than a couple of times a year for celebration. Knowing that I can do it--eat what I want and not let it destroy my eating habits--makes me actually feel very empowered. good luck!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Don't get anything with soy sauce or rice. Lots of veggies and tofu