Large weight loss, skin issues and body image

Options
For those of you that have lost a lot or are on that road to losing a lot. I started MFP in January of 2001 looking to lose around 120 pounds. I am down 84 pounds so far. I work exercise hard, lots of cardio and weight training and I eat extremely healthy...but I have a feeling I am going to be flabby no matter what I do when I reach goal weight :-( Thank God my clothes hide a lot. Also, do I have my days where I feel like I am doing so well and then I look at myself in the mirror and feel bummed about how I am going to look when it's all said and done. Plastic surgery when this is over is NOT an option for me. It isn't covered by insurance and there is no way I can afford it and being a type 1 diabetic I don't see a doctor doing that type of elective surgery on me. So I guess I just keep working at this and learn to live with myself.

FatPicture2.jpg

001.jpg

Replies

• BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You look great! I think you've lost years too- you look so much younger ;)
    great job!
  • tab143
    tab143 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that you will have flabby skin? Do you now? You look AWESOME in your recent photo. Just wondering...
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I have the same fears as well with the weight that I have to lose. It's definitely the downside to losing a lot of weight. However, you look lovely, and you've done an amazing job at losing weight. It's really inspirational.
  • jazshivers
    Options
    You look fantastic! I am just starting my weight loss (50 pounds to go), and you are a motivation! :-)
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Years younger.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I do have some loose skin--mostly my upper arms & thighs--but not nearly as much as you'd expect. I think that becaue I drink LOTS of water and I lost my weight with trength & Cardio Training from Day One my skin is in fairly good shape. JMHO.I feel so much better than I did 2 years ago that the Loose Skin is irrelevant.
    Maybe look in to donating your skin to a burn center if it is an issue? Maybe they would pay for the surgery?
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that you will have flabby skin? Do you now? You look AWESOME in your recent photo. Just wondering...

Thank you. My clothes hide a lot. Yes, I do have some skin issues and don't see that it will be resolved with further weight loss and strength training. I won't stop my journey, there's never going back. I've had 4 kids, 4 c-sections and have been 100 pounds over weight for a lot of years. Arms and tummy are just too hard for me to look at these days :-(
  • anneamaya
    anneamaya Posts: 10
    Options
    WOW! I see a huge difference, to me I notice that your happiness is shining through your face which has shrunk in both size and in years. I don't see flab/loose skin, I see a good porportionate toned arm!
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    I¨m in your boat, 80 ish lbs lost in almot one year and I used to feel the same way as you do. Now I just look at myself at the mirror and feel proud of what I have achieve. The excess skin is a battle scar in my war against obesity and that remind me how I used to be and how I will never be again in my life... (sorry, but english is not my first language, I´m just doing my best here)...
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    WOW! I see a huge difference, to me I notice that your happiness is shining through your face which has shrunk in both size and in years. I don't see flab/loose skin, I see a good porportionate toned arm!

I won't dare wear a tank top or lift my arm to the side :-( sigh
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    In the past I lost over 125 and kept off for 8 years. Most of it will go away. It takes longer than losing the actual weight. Drink water (I am sure you do anyway) for the most part A LOT of it goes away/ shrinks.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    by the way, you look great, congrats!!
  • dtrm88
    dtrm88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! After losing my weight and I still have a little to go I have loose skin in certain areas. I believe when you lose a certain amount of weight that it's unavoidable. Plastic surgery is not an option for me so, just like you said I continue to work hard and hopefully over time that will be enough. Keep up the fantastic work!!

3108166.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are looking AMAZING ~ fantastic job!!!:flowerforyou: Be patient with your body regarding the weight loss and loose skin ~ it can take YEARS (1-3) to shrink back, but you might be amazed that it can revert more than you think it can....slow weight loss, lots of water, weight training and time can do wonders!!:smile: Did I mention weight training? I met a figure competitor who lost about 100 lbs, NO plastic surgery, and WOW!:noway: She said it took about 4 years of weight training to get her body where it was after the weight loss ~ I was shocked!!!

Hang in there ~ you are doing great!!!
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic! and to be realistic, we all get "flabby" as we get older as skin loses its elasticity, its just a fact of life (Unless youre a rich celebrity and can afford multiple plastic surgeries)

Keep up the good work and try not to be so hard on yourself :)
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You look awsome!!
    Even someone who you think looks perfect is unhappy with something about them selves.
    try to love the bits you like and accept the bits you hate!!
    Well done to you!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • lottiecat
    lottiecat Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there

January 2007 I weighed in at 269 lb it took me 18 months to get to my goal of 160 ... today I'm sat on 173 ... disappointing , but with all the earthquakes here in Christchurch NZ - a fair amount of comfort eating & boozing has gone on .

Yesterday I drew that line in the sand again , my 1st goal is to get back to 160 then push on to 149 .

loose skin - I've never been blessed with a family so Tummy is not an issue for me , however I do have some rather Sad areas of sagging - most noticeable are my inner thigh's & my poor boobies ! My Husband who is the only other person who sees me naked could not give a hoot , I struggled for a while & thought about surgery but I've now decided I'm me & to put up with that . I dress appropriately & have come to love the fact that i'm healthy & empty skinned .

Just my perspective but I hope it helps - you look AMAZING by the way .

Lottie
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You radiate beauty and happiness. I agree that you look much younger. I am in the same boat as far as lose skin. Age plays a factor in lose skin, and all you can do is your best. Be proud of your accomplishments. You're amazing! ☼
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I too had a lot of excess skin in my tummy area and some on my inner thighs. I was told that it takes about the same number of years you kept the weight on, to shrink the skin...and it may never be the "same" as it was when you were younger. However, I found there are some ideas to help you (in the meantime) get the best results possible. My excess skin has dramatically improved since incorporating these foods. Oh yes, water is important too. Please let me know if you decide to try it, how it works for you. Oh, by the way, sugar is really bad for your skin when it's trying to repair, so try to limit it, if you can.

Foods rich in Silica are supposed to help with skin repair:
    Leeks
    green beans
    chick peas
    strawberries
    cucumber
    mango
    celery
    rhubarb

Foods rich in Selenium are supposed to help with elasticity:
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Garlic
    Brazil Nuts
    Eggs
    Brown Rice
    Whole Wheat Breads
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I too had a lot of excess skin in my tummy area and some on my inner thighs. I was told that it takes about the same number of years you kept the weight on, to shrink the skin...and it may never be the "same" as it was when you were younger. However, I found there are some ideas to help you (in the meantime) get the best results possible. My excess skin has dramatically improved since incorporating these foods. Oh yes, water is important too. Please let me know if you decide to try it, how it works for you. Oh, by the way, sugar is really bad for your skin when it's trying to repair, so try to limit it, if you can.

Foods rich in Silica are supposed to help with skin repair:
    Leeks
    green beans
    chick peas
    strawberries
    cucumber
    mango
    celery
    rhubarb

Foods rich in Selenium are supposed to help with elasticity:
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Garlic
    Brazil Nuts
    Eggs
    Brown Rice
    Whole Wheat Breads

Thanks for posting this. My extra skin is mostly on my belly and thighs too and I've often daydreamed about losing it....though I won't even consider surgery until I've had kids (or get too old to have kids) and I'm not going to waste money on "miracle-working" lotions. But making an extra effort to incorporate certain healthy foods into my diet--I can do that. And if my skin stays saggy, oh well, at least I'll be healthier.