Emotional Troubles

Options
I haven't had any problems with staying motivated, up beat, or positive about my journey until today. I have scheduled my cheat day/break day to be on Saturday, but today I feel very upset about a few things in my life that i wish i could change, but at the moment i can't. This is the one time i just want to curl up and eat junk and just say, "i give up, and i dont care anymore." Though, I know, if I do that it will only make things worse... Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom to help me?

Replies

• heatherharget
    heatherharget Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You are NOT alone. I think more people need to be honest that they too feel like this. You are having a bad day. When you CAN change those things you will- right now doesnt have to be the time. Focus on you and what you CAN do. you can't do it ALL. do what you can do and try to change the things you can now- tomorrow will come and with it a new opportunity to change for the better, whatever YOUR better might be. Yesterday was a bad, really bad day for me,, the lying in bed crying kind of day- I let it happen- for one afternoon. Im in a very messy spot with $ and have some serious battles ahead but I know that being healthy is the only way I can fix any of those things. Allow yourself to feel the feelings.
  • heatherwoodard203
    heatherwoodard203 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @heatherharget thank you so much for this. I can't tell you how much what you wrote has helped. I'm sorry that you had a bad yesterday and I hope you had a much better one today!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are feeling upset today. Hang in there - hopefully things will get better very soon. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sending hugs! Hopefully tomorrow will be a much better day!
  • heatherwoodard203
    Options
    @ruby_red_rose and @Mersie1, thank you both. So far, today is going better.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    What heatherharget said is basically what I do.... Except I actually "Schedule" my meltdowns lol. If I feel like that, I tell myself that this evening, or tomorrow morning or whatever time is most "convenient" (i.e. I dont have things that need to be done), I will be a basket case - I can eat junk if I want, or walk or just freaking cry like a little girl. For a set time. Then I suck it up and move on. If the current time is just not convenient, I go into "martyr mode" while waiting until my scheduled time. I "suffer for a cause" - basically I go into a mode where I take care of business because of I have to but I am very "put-upon" about it. I get an attitude, but I get stuff done. Then I have my meltdown for a set time (try to keep it to 2 hours or less to minimize any food damage). When the alarm goes off, thats it. Up and at-em. If I still feel bad, I go back into martyr mode and schedule another one :)

I have been known to turn down someone asking me to go somewhere because I knew I was already planned to be a basket case at that time. Lol. Not often, but sometimes you just need a "poor me" moment or two.

Good luck!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Aylajane- love the approach! I'm going to try that. Thanks for the tip! Have a great week. Hoping you won't need to schedule meltdown time!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Every now & then we all fall apart. I say allow it to happen. Don't fight it, relish in it. Truly honor the emotion & allow yourself to fall to pieces. Then, Take this growing opportunity to pick up all those pieces, & rearrange them into a new perspective.
    Be kind to yourself, take a long hot bath, make yourself a pot of chamomile tea, go to bed early & know that "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it...well, no mistakes yet."
    I know the day has come & gone but I wanted to share my greatest coping mechanisms....
    Compartmentalization: Helps with overwhelming feelings & allows you to rationally prioritize. Many times I come to the realization that certain matters just aren't worth worrying about at the moment & I can allow myself some much needed "me time."
    Making lists has become a meditative zen practice for me. I get out colored pencils & markers & take the time to turn my "to do's" into a work of art. By making the time for this creative outlet, I also mentally prepare myself for the tasks ahead & always include some fun things too. (1st thing on any to do list is always "make a list" so I can cross it off :))
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    Aylajane- love the approach! I'm going to try that. Thanks for the tip! Have a great week. Hoping you won't need to schedule meltdown time!

Lol glad to help. I have actually scheduled them up to 2 weeks in advance :) If there is an appointment or something coming up on my schedule that I am dreading and I am nervous anxious and worried about... I tell myself there is nothing I can do about it for the next XX days (until the appointment/event) so I may as well put it out of my mind until much closer. So if my dreaded date is May 12, I will tell myself that I can be a total mess on May 11 and worry all I want. Not until then though - just put it out of my mind and ignore it. It actually does help me be functional for the days leading up to it, whereas I used to just be a mess for the whole two weeks or whatever.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Do something productive that you can feel good about
  • heatherwoodard203
    Options
    Do something productive that you can feel good about

That's what i did. I spent 30 minutes in the pool doing laps until my muscles were burning so bad it hurt like crazy to walk up the stairs to my apartment.