What keeps you motivated during a run?

Options

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I had a kickass playlist for today's 22 miler. I tend to daydream a lot too. During races, I just close my eyes and grind it out. Feels so good once it's over haha. But I'm ready to run the next day. I hate resting days.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'll second (third?) the advice to run slower. Conversational pace. Talk outloud to yourself if you have to, but keep it nice and slow.

As for staying mentally in the game, I load up a good playlist or podcast to take my mind off the distance. I also break up my run into segments (esp for long runs) in different neighborhoods so that it never feels like one long haul.
  • janineryan356
    janineryan356 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't think about running you will get further without even noticing
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it and it clears my mind. I also run with my dog, and he provides endless quantities of entertainment.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I found that when I wanted to gradually extend the length of my long runs, I got slower -- and not just on the long runs! So yeah, I'd suggest slowing down a bit for a while.

Here's another thought: I don't know how many times a week you run and whether you change up your paces and rotate in different training types, but I like to make sure I do at least 1 run a week where I alternate 3 minutes of FAST running (not necessarily sprinting, more "race pace") with one minute of walking or very slow running, aiming for an average speed over 4 miles that's about equal to my speed on a straight-ahead (no breaks) regular 4 mile easy run. Those runs tend to be a lot of fun, mentally they're a BREEZE, and they have helped me develop some speed and strength that translates into faster speeds on my longer easy runs too.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I found that when I wanted to gradually extend the length of my long runs, I got slower -- and not just on the long runs! So yeah, I'd suggest slowing down a bit for a while.

Here's another thought: I don't know how many times a week you run and whether you change up your paces and rotate in different training types, but I like to make sure I do at least 1 run a week where I alternate 3 minutes of FAST running (not necessarily sprinting, more "race pace") with one minute of walking or very slow running, aiming for an average speed over 4 miles that's about equal to my speed on a straight-ahead (no breaks) regular 4 mile easy run. Those runs tend to be a lot of fun, mentally they're a BREEZE, and they have helped me develop some speed and strength that translates into faster speeds on my longer easy runs too.

Ah no, I haven't tried this. I finished C25k a long time ago and just a couple of weeks ago got back into running after doing Insanity for 2 months. My endurance level was really improved by Insanity, and so it meant that I was able to start at 30 minutes running again. So at the moment, I have just been doing 30 minute runs every other day. So sometimes 4 or 3 times a week.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I took everyone's advice and went a lot slower. I finished the full 30 minutes, I did 3.74 miles. I felt really good during the run, could speak out loud and wasn't dying to stop.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    When I first started out 3-5 miles felt like forever for me. I found that music kept my mind occupied and I kinda started to zone out after a while. There are also apps like that Zombie run one where it keeps your mind engaged. Since then my motivation for runs longer than 9 miles is really just food. I burn so much (not including my workout outside of running) that on long run days I think about what I wanna eat. I'd say 95 percent of the time it's a variety of donuts... the other 5 percent is just shoving my face into a pizza or big juicy burger.
  • spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself, small goals, small targets, good music!!!
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me it's about holding myself accountable to complete the task
  • coachmike24fit
    coachmike24fit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    running to eat a bunch of bs after?? is that not counter productive? what motivates me during a run is not to run at all.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to get bored during short runs, and so I listened to music. After making myself run for a couple of hours at a time without music, I don't get bored. I look around at the scenery, enjoy the peace that comes with running a far distance, and visualize the entire pint of ice cream I will eat after running 12+ miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... what motivates me during a run is not to run at all.

More miles for the rest of us.

I still like my IPA as a recovery drink ;)
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but when I get tired while running I try to zone out on purpose. Sometimes I make up repetitive sounds or words to say to the rhythm of my feet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Being done- But mostly I just don't pay any attention- once I'm past the first mile- I'm with Soy_K- zone out- and get'er done.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really have to squeeze in my runs. I usually don't have the luxury of choosing to walk the rest of my run. I know I am however far away from home and have a limited time to get back and shower and continue on with my day. So I don't have the option of stopping I think you should take that option away from yourself by altering your schedule or running with a buddy you don't want to slow down or rewarding yourself after a successful run.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I took everyone's advice and went a lot slower. I finished the full 30 minutes, I did 3.74 miles. I felt really good during the run, could speak out loud and wasn't dying to stop.

That's great! If you keep running that pace for a while you'll have no problem building up to longer runs. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Breakfast! ;) That and I run outside, so I have to keep going until I get back home! Music definitely helps, and changing up the playlist from time to time to keep it fresh. I change up my route, even running the same route in the opposite direction can be enough to make it feel different, and the time goes by faster.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »

Awesome!

Only 10% of your weekly mileage should be run at a challenging pace. The rest should be "easy". It seems counterintuitive, but you will actually get faster this way over time, and it's a safe way to allow you to increase distance.
  • Mile_High_Runner
    Mile_High_Runner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mapmyfitness timing my run and listening to Metallica.