40 something starting out to loose 45+ lbs

Options
Hello there,
Looking for likeminded folks who love to eat and struggle with this one vital part of weight loss. I have been working out for two months now 6 days a week and gotten stronger but the number on the scale has not moved.

I know I need more disapline in what I eat. Looking to see how others manage this working 7 days a week. I have started to buy protein bars and stay off the snacks in the snack machine.

What are your tricks? I need to do a better job of fueling this body but I get so ravenous hungry that I end up grabbing whatever I can find and stuffing myself until overstuffed.

And of course the 8pm munchies. I have started popping popcorn instead of chips and devil dogs.

Feel free to add me so we can help each other on this journey.

Replies

• Bethie_ess
    Bethie_ess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Funny, I *just* posted about getting more serious about food tracking this morning. I've been logging exercise for 70(ish) days, and I've lost a whopping 10 pounds, lol.

I don't actually have any tricks yet...beyond knowing that I'm a boredom eater/drinker. I don't actually mind being a little hungry...but when I get bored, I'm doomed.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just posted a success story--"How Making Choices Helped Me Lose 80 Pounds." I discuss all of this, tips too, in that post.

My advice for you, just starting out, is to figure out if you have an actual plan in mind. When I started, I was pretty clear on what I wanted to achieve and how to get there. I knew, from years of yo-yo dieting, what works and doesn't work for me, and I took that knowledge and used it, along with a bit of my doctor's advice, to move forward.

For instance, I did NOT set a target date for weight loss. I set a reasonable goal (not my "ideal" weight!), 1 pound per week, and settled in. I did not pressure myself. If I had, I would have given up as I had in the past. I did NOT deprive myself. If I had, I would have given up. And I committed myself to the LIFE-LONG process of losing and maintaining my weight. Like it or not, I am a person who must log everything I eat for the rest of my life. Not until I lose the weight, but FOREVER. Admitting that and being okay with that, has made all the difference.

If you are grabbing food right and left, I suspect that you are not allowing yourself to EAT. For me, I can only lose weight if I eat often and eat what I really want to eat. I discuss all of this in the post.

-rebecca
  • GerryRog
    GerryRog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!! I have just rejoined this group, and I, too know what works for me and what does not. I am really glad that you mentioned that your goal is 1 pound per week, and that you are not pressuring yourself, that is my plan too! I would love to hear from you!!
  • groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yep I often am in a hurry. I have to say I am proud of myself for working out straight the past 2 months. I took a week off due to that dreaded crud that everyone came down with. took 5 day break from working out but I jumped back in with little issues.

And yes I don't deprive myself=only allow a small amount..
  • groetzinger659
    Options
    This morning I made myself a peanut butter banana all wheat sandwich toasted. yum!! instead of the usual two or three bags of snack junk out of the machine.
  • groetzinger659
    Options
    Thank you for those who have sent me a friend request! :smiley:
  • spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I find that I need a sporting goal to keep me motivated and something to aim for; enter a race / sportive. You may not win it but it's about beating your time, or just completing the event. Good luck and I hope it all goes well