Is it possible to weight less in the afternoon than the morning?

Options
Last monday i weighed myself in the morning and afternoon, i did the same this week and both times i have weighed less in the afternoon, this is after having lunch and drinking 1 or 1.5 litres of water. Is this possible? Normally id weigh less in the morning.

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It is for me. I always weigh 3-4 pounds less in the afternoon than in the morning.
  • rosesteph
    rosesteph Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is weird ..I have experienced that as well. Usually it is because perhaps you ate late and the food was not digested completely. Or maybe you have been excreting those fluids you are in-taking causing you to be lighter. Also, it is cold in the room? My scale is digital and its a glass one and if it is cold in the room in the morning it acts funny..
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did you exercise after having lunch? It is possible you have lost water weight through sweating and depending on how long you weighed yourself after lunch, all that food can be digested and that water could be flushed out by the time you step on the scale. But yes, it is possible.

My question is, is this going to be normal routine now? Weighing yourself more than once a day is unnecessary due to the fluctuations we experience throughout the day.
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sure. Did you take a dump right before you weighed yourself or sometime between am and pm? Did you not drink very much water that day? I swear water weighs like 5x as much as food and tends to impact short term fluctuations more than anything.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Last monday i weighed myself in the morning and afternoon, i did the same this week and both times i have weighed less in the afternoon, this is after having lunch and drinking 1 or 1.5 litres of water. Is this possible? Normally id weigh less in the morning.

Well since it happened to you - then yes I guess it is possible.
  • snmitch1965
    snmitch1965 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Obviously its possible - because you did. Same clothes? Same Scale? Did you "use the bathroom" in the meantime? But mostly this is likely water loss. For example a high sodium meal the day before could cause water retention overnight, so heavier in the morning, by later in the day you are back in balance and water retention recalibrated. For assessing the effect of fat loss and muscle gain, weighing more often than once a week is unhelpful in my experience precisely because of these fluctuations. Weigh once a week, same time, same scale, same clothes and same "bathroom use status" is my recommendation. Frankly its trend over weeks that matter, not daily data points.
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Phew im glad its not just me, i do eat quite late at night although its never too heavy. I have been using the same scales for years and up until recently it used to tell me i weighed more in the afternoon. Only explanation for the change would be that ive recently started doing a workout dvd and drinking more water. I dont exercise after lunch, but i do be walking about more at work.
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,
    I know its nothing to do with bowel movements, i think it must be to do with drinking more water.