Snickers* Diet

Options
ClosetBayesian
ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
This week, I’ll be out of town at a conference for four days. Catering at events like this usually revolves around bakery items, which I absolutely cannot eat (I am severely gluten intolerant). After hours, I’ll be staying with a friend who is not exactly conscientious about his food choices; I could ask him to stock up on foods I can eat, I suppose, but I’ll only be at his house for one meal a day; additionally, he’ll be out of the house when I get there at the end of each day, and I would rather not cook in someone else’s kitchen for four days. I’ve read enough about professor who tried out the “Twinkie Diet” that I thought it might be fun to test it out, with slight modifications.

Twinkie Diet synopsis: professor ate junk food for two months; thanks to a caloric deficit, he lost weight; additionally, his cholesterol and triglyceride numbers improved (see the link to CNN for more details).

I can’t eat Twinkies (gluten), but I can eat Snickers. I looked at the nutrition info, did some math, and thought, why not? Each Snickers is 250 calories; five a day would put me at very slightly fewer calories than I eat now (I average @1300-1400 per day currently, which is workable for me; I am mostly sedentary, exercise very infrequently, and do not have a lot of weight to lose). Math’ing out the macros (not necessary for caloric deficit; I’m thinking in terms of satiety), at 12g fat per bar, that’s 60g fat per day, which is not out of line with what I eat now; the carbs and the protein are where things get dicey. At 33g carbs each, that’s 165g of carb per day, which is a bit more than I eat currently (very roughly 100g per day); since I have no medical problem which necessitates watching carbs, I have no problem bumping them up for a few days (for science!). The protein, though... at 4g per bar, that’s 20g per day… that’s a bit low…. Upon further thought, I decided to sub out one of the Snickers per day with a gluten-free protein bar (which also has a significant amount of fiber, and slightly more calories), hence the asterisk in the title of this post; I’ll be consuming just shy of 1300 calories per day. (Why not a protein bar diet for four days? Most of them have quite a bit of sugar alcohol in them; this particular brand does not, but has over 20g of fiber per bar; either way, if I ate protein bars for four days, I’d be in the bathroom more than I’d be in conference sessions. Additionally, protein bar diet is not nearly as much fun to say as Snickers bar diet). So, four Snickers plus a protein bar, plus a multivitamin (because vitamins), for four days. (The cost works out to roughly $25 total for those four days, which is a heck of a lot less than my $60 per diem.)

My prediction: I’m still going to lose some weight, thanks to being in a calorie deficit, although I may retain a little bit of fluid as a function of eating more carbs than I do currently. The protein is a little lower than I usually eat, but seeing as how I don’t lift weights on a regular basis anyway, this shouldn’t be a real problem. I’ve been playing with 16/8-style intermittent fasting recently, so I’m not terribly worried about being physically hungry – hunger doesn’t really bother me. Most importantly, I’m not worried about eating something that will put me in the hospital for a few days while I’m 1000 miles from home, which is kind of a big deal (the last time I went to a conference, I found out the hard way that rice served in restaurants is frequently cooked in stock thickened with wheat flour; I missed most of that conference).

I am definitely not recommending this as a long-term weight-loss strategy; this is really no better than any other highly restrictive eating plan, as it definitely does not teach moderation. I have two reasons for doing this: for starters, eating Snickers for four days is better than playing the dietary lottery with conference food, where hidden gluten or cross-contamination will put me in the hospital (I generally do not consider any food to be “junk” food, but rather as existing on a continuum of more/less healthy; that said, I take great delight in being able to tell people who look at me sideways while I’m eating two or three Snickers at lunch that I’m eating them for better health). More seriously, this is to prove a point: for weight loss, you can still eat candy bars and lose weight – it’s about CICO. The fact that the CI for me is going to be Snickers (and one gluten-free protein bar) is irrelevant in terms of weight loss: outside of specific medical conditions, there is nothing inherently wrong with carbs in general or sugar specifically, nor does “clean eating” really matter, either (I refuse to wash the Snickers before eating them). CICO. That’s it.

Have at, doubters.

(Apologies in advance to the mods.)

Replies

• ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear how you end up! I love Snickers bars. They are the perfect fuel for hiking or long days of walking.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about micro nutrient intake but for a week it won't matter
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm curious how you'll feel about snickers at the end of the process. I'm also morbidly curious about where you come in at on the Bristol scale, but only because snickers and protein bars are edge case food intake.

Eta: I'm also curious about satiety. We eat a variety of foods not just for nutrition, but for satiety as well. Five candy bars a day sounds awesome, but will you still feel hungry?
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I really hope there is an "after" post for this.... Also I recommend snickers peanut butter squares a few fewer carbs and one more gram of protein should the original get old (similar calories as well)
  • calliewolfer
    calliewolfer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm interested on how it turns out. I don't eat protein bar but decided to try the quest bars today.. Big mistake, I was in the fetal position for a few hours and it totally wrecked my day
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I actually did something at a three day conference/expo, but it was not snickers; it was a bag of almonds and a giant bottle of bolthouse vanilla chai tea - one a day. I knew I would be too busy to eat regular meals, and I also knew what was available would be junk. Obviously this is not a longer term solution, but for three days, this combination held me all day long without hunger, and mental clarity was just fine. Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I say why not! It sounds like it would be safer than taking your chance with unknown ingredients in food. Very cool!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Absolutely planning on updating throughout. I wake up at 3AM Monday morning to catch a 6AM flight; this officially kicks off then.

Re. micros: multivitamin, plus 1x/ day protein bar w. 20+g fiber.

I'm not particularly worried about satiety. I think I'll be hungry between "meals", but not to the point where it will be earth-shattering. Intermittent fasting has been a fantastic learning experience for me, and I think it will pay off here. Before IF, I used to eat three meals a day plus one or two snacks (but never felt really satisfied; on IF, I eat the same foods and amounts of food per day, but only two meals and maybe one snack per day; eating the same amount of calories at fewer sittings is much more filling; additionally, I have re-learned what real hunger is like (as opposed to the munchies or the I-want's), and been able to cope with it. I'm really looking forward to this!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I am also looking forward to the updates!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Should be fun.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing the results , love me a marathon ( still old school here lol) hope you aren't too sick of them at the end of the week
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Interesting, but may your teeth rest in peace. I can't finish one bar without feeling sick, so I appreciate your dedication to the cause.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly worried about satiety. I think I'll be hungry between "meals", but not to the point where it will be earth-shattering.
    You know, you don't need to eat them as meals; you can nibble a little at a time. That's what I did with my almond/chai tea consumption. Kept me going all day long.

I learned several months ago that I don't need a whole protein bar at one time, and I now routinely cut them in half when I unwrap them. Eating a whole one in one sitting seems too sweet now. You could do the same thing by buying the smaller snickers bars - the kind people hand out on Halloween.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy lol

Although I think 4 days is long enough. I bet you'll be sick of chocolate by the 2nd day. Still, good luck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    This week, I’ll be out of town at a conference for four days. Catering at events like this usually revolves around bakery items, which I absolutely cannot eat (I am severely gluten intolerant). After hours, I’ll be staying with a friend who is not exactly conscientious about his food choices; I could ask him to stock up on foods I can eat, I suppose, but I’ll only be at his house for one meal a day; additionally, he’ll be out of the house when I get there at the end of each day, and I would rather not cook in someone else’s kitchen for four days. I’ve read enough about professor who tried out the “Twinkie Diet” that I thought it might be fun to test it out, with slight modifications.

My only thought is that as a house guest, it would be a nice gesture if you're getting home earlier than your host to pull together a meal at least on one night of your stay that he could join you in when he gets home, either cooking it yourself or getting carry-out (consulting him ahead of time on timing and options).
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This used to be a fad back in the late 1980's. Just pick one single food. Anything you like (Lobster, steak, snickers, ice cream, etc). And that is all you can eat for a month. Nothing else except water, tea and coffee. You can eat as much as you want and as often as you want. After a while, you get sick and tired of eating it, so much to the point of eating less and less of it. As you eat less of it, the weight loss increases. Not exactly a healthy way of eating.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me--good luck.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Volume-wise, you may be in for a surprise. Good luck, though; the plan is solid from a logical standpoint.