Treading water?

Options
fumfp7
fumfp7 Posts: 37 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm signed up for a lifeguard certification class and to even be admitted to the class you have to tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs. However, the deepest part of the pool where the class is, is only 5 feet. Do you think they are going to make me tread water in THAT even though I'm 5'6" and if someone were drowning I could stand in that water and not have to tread? Thanks
Also, I got a job to be a lifeguard at the same facility that I'm taking the class at...as long as I pass the test

Replies

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Yes, they will have you tread water, it's part of the test. The certification is good at all bodies of water, not just the 5 foot deep pool, so they need to make sure you could rescue someone in a 10 foot deep pool as well.
  • fumfp7
    Options
    Yes, they will have you tread water, it's part of the test. The certification is good at all bodies of water, not just the 5 foot deep pool, so they need to make sure you could rescue someone in a 10 foot deep pool as well.

Do you have any tips as to how exactly I'm going to tread water in a place where I can already stand?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Huh? When I was in high school as part of the final test in swimming for PE (which everyone was required to take), we had to tread water for 15 minutes! We could take "floating" breaks (and not everyone can float), but we couldn't touch bottom. I don't remember anyone having a big problem with it. Lifeguard certification requires less? You'll do fine! :)
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When your legs are bent like they would be if you were treading water, you are going to lose several inches and you will not be able to touch the bottom. Since treading water is much like the leg position of riding a bicycle, imagine yourself sitting on a bicycle pedaling. You are not stretched to your full height, are you? When you start the test, you just need to make sure that you keep your legs moving and do not stand on the bottom of the pool.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    When your legs are bent like they would be if you were treading water, you are going to lose several inches and you will not be able to touch the bottom. Since treading water is much like the leg position of riding a bicycle, imagine yourself sitting on a bicycle pedaling. You are not stretched to your full height, are you? When you start the test, you just need to make sure that you keep your legs moving and do not stand on the bottom of the pool.

This. I don't think most people extend their legs when treading water, but sort of "sit down" into it and use a bicycle motion.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

This exactly. Our neighborhood pool is 5 feet, and I tread water in the deep end all the time to burn some calories while getting some sun.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like you wouldn't be able to tread water at that depth, but keep in mind that your knees will be bent and you'll have to keep your head above water - you should likely have your shoulders peeking out too. If you were in a deeper pool and kept your legs straight down, you would not be able to keep your head up unless you were doing a dolphin kick, that's a whole body workout - very different from just treading. Good luck with your test!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and had no problems treading water in 5ft pool for my test. Have you ever treaded water before ? You aren't going to be standing straight up, your in more of a bent down position. Just know that if your feet touch the ground, even a toe, you will be asked to leave the pool. Don't take the test unless you are ready.
  • fumfp7
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8 and had no problems treading water in 5ft pool for my test. Have you ever treaded water before ? You aren't going to be standing straight up, your in more of a bent down position. Just know that if your feet touch the ground, even a toe, you will be asked to leave the pool. Don't take the test unless you are ready.

Thanks for the info. Are you lifeguard certified?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    fumfp7 wrote: »

Yes I am.
    My aunt was in a nursing home and wanted to start a swimming group for seniors. I got my certification so I could legally start the group for them. I guard the seniors and also volunteer for a special needs swimming class as well. I guard 2yr old to 14 yr old special needs kids for those classes.
  • fumfp7
    Options
    fumfp7 wrote: »

Yes I am.
    My aunt was in a nursing home and wanted to start a swimming group for seniors. I got my certification so I could legally start the group for them. I guard the seniors and also volunteer for a special needs swimming class as well. I guard 2yr old to 14 yr old special needs kids for those classes.

Wow! That's really cool good for you.
    Any tips on training for the test?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At 5`6" if you stand on the bottom of a 5 ft pool &breathe, you'll probably need to rescue yourself. It's 5'6" to the top of your head, not your nose.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yup you'll do fine. Once you're in tread you'll ride at least 1ft above water. They probably won't let you use your arms to help tread either. Bicycle, egg beater & power kick (almost scissor kick but knees bent) practice & see what works best for you. It's about endurance & strength, not depth
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

This. I don't think most people extend their legs when treading water, but sort of "sit down" into it and use a bicycle motion.[/quote]
    Treading water is more of an egg beater motion than a bicycle motion.
    Good luck!