How to make running less boring?

Options
JoseLoCR
JoseLoCR Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

I am new to exercise so started off with 'couch to 5k' that builds up to 30 mins running, as I heard it was good way to do it (it is!). the earlier part of the program is short bursts of running with also walking. But as it progresses it is only running. Of course this is a good challenge, but I find one more problem: I get bored running 25-30 mins no stop. At least the change of pace kept it interesting in the early days. I tried running outside instead of treadmill to make more interest and it helps a bit but still no so much. I try music, sometimes this helps a bit. Sorry if this is a very stupid question, just wondering how people keep their mind busy to not get too bored in the run! Or is it just something we must put up with?
Thank you, Joselito

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just not your thing...I loath running, so I don't run. I cycle my butt off though.
  • JoseLoCR
    JoseLoCR Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did wonder. But I am not a big fan of other cardio machines such as cross trainer, I fear nothing is my natural thing, maybe I am just to endure it! Maybe I can ask at the gym for other ideas how to get this exercise.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Music, and run a route that forces you to keep going because walking back would be too slow.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It was boring for me when I started. After a while, I got used to it, and learned to enjoy how wonderful running felt and how peaceful it made me feel. Give it time, and if you end up still not enjoying it, try something else.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you're a fan of interval type training.

Maybe run some intervals or do a fartlek if that's the style of running you enjoy. You'll stick with it for longer, do it more consistently and ultimately derive more benefit from it if you enjoy it.

The other way to tackle it is to view a longer steady-state run as a kind of meditation. You can let your body go on autopilot and use the rhythmic nature to calm your mind and pair it with breath-control. Another approach is a more active mental approach, use the time constructively to think about and find solutions to problems you may be encountering in life, work, at home, school, etc...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run if you don't like running. If you still want to run you can listen to an interesting audiobook or podcast while running and let your mind wander. I look forward to my running sessions just because I have "exercise only" audiobooks that I only listen to while running or walking. I sometimes find myself extending my workout beyond what I originally planned because I want to finish a particularly exciting part and know what happened.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You stick with it and get better at it. Then it becomes very fulfilling. You'll always have days when you don't feel like it but that always changes after you start. Real truth. It takes me about 3 miles to warm up and start having fun.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    You could definitely keep doing intervals, nothing wrong with that!
    I'm not a huge fan of cardio machines either, but if I find a good show or a youtube series, I just watch and get in a rhythm. Before I know it 20-30 minutes have passed and I usually have to drag myself away from the show! I also like listening to music. Sometimes changing up the incline and resistance keeps me interested.
    The rowing machine is something that I have been working at too, it's very different and I enjoy trying to set new records for myself.
    I also got a "WOD" book that has hundreds of different workouts that could basically double as cardio. Some are with weights, others are body weight and running/rowing mixed in. (I am almost too out of shape to complete most of them right now though, so until then my goal is just to work up to it haha.)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I think running inside on a treadmill is boring. Intervals help me pass the time but still boring. I like running outside to places and I run to music (if the tune changes pace, so do I).
  • creativecritters77
    creativecritters77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always run with a playlist of music that really gets me pumped, plus I use my run as a type of moving meditation, just letting my mind relax and wander and my legs keep moving.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have music playing when I go out for my walks/jogs. If I'm at the gym, I can watch the TVs and be occupied. But out and about the neighborhood, I need music because I've seen the houses I walk by thousands of times - nothing new to see (and yes, I take different routes).
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    While I run, I ponder the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Just kidding. I listen to music. I have playlists of songs that I LOVE and keep me upbeat. I also tend to plan the rest of my day/week/weekend while I run.

My husband gets too bored with music, so he does podcasts or audiobooks. Sometimes, when we run together, he'll burst out laughing at the podcast, which is always entertaining for me.

We also take our dog, who keeps pushing us to run more/farther/faster. She's SUPER athletic and would seriously run for days. It's extremely motivational to do an extra loop or go a little further just to make my sweet pup happy.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm on c25k myself, and looking forward to the near future, when i can just go for a run!

I've been reading about the Zombies, Run! app. From what i gather, it will periodically throw a bit of a zombie-survival story into your run, challenging you to do certain things to stay alive. I haven't tried it yet, but once i'm able to just hit the trail and sustain a run, i'll be looking forward to flee from zombies!

For now:

I pick one thing to do, and focus on it for awhile; and then i pick something else. I have been training myself to belly-breath, and focus on doing it right. And at first i was breathing in for four steps, and out for four steps. This morning, i focused on breathing in for three steps and out, forcibly, for two. seemed to work better for me.

When i'm focused on breathing, i feel my hands creep up and i start to draw them across my body. This is bad form, so i start focusing on keeping them low and parallel to my body. Once i get those under control, i check in on my breathing to see if i'm keeping to my intended pattern... where did that duck come from? Breathing is good... hmm.. not too many bicyclists out here, i wonder what....

After a while of trying to focus on things, my mind just starts wandering. The moment it stops wondering because i'm aware of my running again, i start to focus once more on my breathing, or arms, or stride, or posture... and pretty soon i'm noticing the trees again.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    inside, i watch netflicks
    outside, i listen to nikki sixx and maroon 5 and redlight kings and in this moment
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I always listen to music that really pumps me up. It's my favorite part of the day/week. I did try running 6 miles straight for the first time since high school last month and that last mile got extremely boring. So....music that pumps you up if you're outside. And if you're on a treadmill and have Netflix or something on your phone, watch that! My coworker watches kung fu movies while he runs, lmao. When I run on the treadmill I listen to my music and watch the news on the gym TV's.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Try running at a park or trail where there are other people out exercising.

If there's not many people out that day, I get kinda bored. But if I see other runners it's GAME ON, SON!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JoseLoCR wrote: »
    I did wonder. But I am not a big fan of other cardio machines such as cross trainer, I fear nothing is my natural thing, maybe I am just to endure it! Maybe I can ask at the gym for other ideas how to get this exercise.

cardio machines are boring...go outside...do something you enjoy doing recreationally and do it at a higher intensity.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Get off the treadmill and go and run trails. Running helps me clear my head and just meditate, and seeing the odd deer is a bit of a bonus.

If I'm in cities I sometimes use audiobooks.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Go outside. Choose a varied route with stuff to look at.