how can I start enjoy running?

Options
I'm pretty far into my weight loss journey and still am wanting to accomplish one thing-to be able to run a mile.
Running is very scary to me as it's hard for me to breath since my cardio isn't really up to par as i mostly focus on lifting. How can I start training to run a mile and actually enjoy the process? any tips?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It will get a lot easier as you get better at it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Use a program like Run Zombies or Couch to 5k. They will gradually get you up to running. You still might not enjoy it though. Not everyone does. I adore running, but I keep trying to make myself like lifting and have been unable to do so.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The number one key to enjoying running is to not kick yourself when you have to slow down or walk. If you keep it up, those times of needing to walk or slow jog will decrease! Use a beginners running program that includes walk intervals.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It took me time and perseverance to enjoy running. Now I love it!! I started walking and then running as far as I could, than walking. I would try to make it to the next hydro pole or cross street or tree...pick a landmark to run to, when that gets a little easier instead of running to that....go a little further!! Don't worry about your speed! Start off slow so you don't injure yourself. I know many people that have joined a running clinic or group, me I preferred to work on my own!
  • redushab
    redushab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Zombie, Run! C25k app and really enjoying it. It lets me shuffle through a playlist on my phone, and still get the instructions with the story. I'm a complete novice runner. I also do a portion of my run on trails instead of on the street, and I find I much prefer the part of my run that is trees and squirrels than the part that's cars and houses.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty far into my weight loss journey and still am wanting to accomplish one thing-to be able to run a mile.
    Running is very scary to me as it's hard for me to breath since my cardio isn't really up to par as i mostly focus on lifting. How can I start training to run a mile and actually enjoy the process? any tips?

Then you are running too fast. Slow down. Walk if you have to.

If you can't sing while you run you are going too fast. :)
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options

yes, i absolutely use to hate it. Now i use it as my greatest escape i plug in my favorite songs and just let my feet carry me wherever they may go. i also try to go to a park or by my house has hills &&what not so the scenery is quite nice and something to leave all my troubles in the dirt so to speak. hope this helps (:
  • bcsking
    bcsking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A running buddy is the bast way to enjoy a run. you start talking and the next thing you know you will have a couple miles done! having someone waiting for you helps get out out of bed too!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

If you can't sing while you run you are going too fast. :)

I can't sing when I'm sitting on the couch relaxing, can't imagine running will make my caterwauling any more palatable. ;)

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

When i started, i was in the same boat. Tried running about 150 feet, from one lamp post to the next, and i would be gasping for air.

Couple things i would have done over:
    1. run slowly. There is no need to sprint; your jogging can be slow and leisurely.
    2. start with a c25k or other incremental program immediately. Not only did i need to slowly build my cardio, but i also needed to strengthen my legs/joints, and incremental programs help accomplish both.

This morning i completed Week 5 Day 3 of c25k. This included three 5-minute runs (about 1/2 mile each) with 3-minute breaks between. Added to a 5-minute warm up and another cool down, that was 31 minutes of exercise, and i felt great the whole time, and all morning long.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running is very scary to me as it's hard for me to breath since my cardio isn't really up to par

Slow your pace and use some kind of plan to train against.

Couch to 5K is a fairly gentle introduction to running, so worth a try.

If you're running to fast it's going to be hard work. Run at an easy place and just enjoy it.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Agree with suggestions above, such as starting slow and finding a friend to run with. If you're a "joiner", I'd suggest checking out some local running groups. Many places, such as running stores, have fun runs or beginner programs that would be a good place to start. I see lots of new runners each week at my local running shop. Most people seem to enjoy the camaraderie as they are learning to run. Good luck.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey, running isn't for everyone, but almost everyone can run. It is a question of motivation and knowledge.

Once upon a time, I hated running. It took a long time for that to change, and ironically, I ended up coaching novice runners for the Running Room Franchise. With the right company and motivation, running can become quite enjoyable and rewarding... even if its just for the euphoria you feel after the run.

Here are some ideas which may help and helped me;

1. Run Clubs\Running Stores - Look to your local running store and see if they offer a Learn to Run or 5K program. These often have scheduled runs with people of like abilities. Once you commit to run a course, you are more likely to show up. If you have a group encouraging you to do it... so much more powerful. I've met many of my best friends coaching these types of clinics. Runners are a very accepting group and everyone is welcome (at least at my Running Room)
    2. Talk test - most novice runners start out by running way too fast (and inevitably end up injured or discouraged). When you are starting to run... run at a pace that you can hold a conversation. That's all. If you can still talk, you're doing it right (and we aren't talking about speed training, or chasing down a Kenyan). Most of your runs should be of this kind of pace (about 80% of them).
    3. Plan for Success - Set some goals, and make a commitment. Short term, medium and long term goals and make them realistic and attainable. Most novice runners start with a 5K race (I was an insane exception and ran a Full Marathon... ah good times :) ) There are numerous plans out there that will help you achieve your goals... Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, John Stanton, Couch to 5K etc... all are great programs.
    4. Rewards - Treat yourself for meeting goals... new shoes? a nice bag? Some new workout clothes? But reward yourself. Remember that you just lapped everyone who was sitting on the couch!
    5. Buddy Plan Running is an individual sport with a group mentality and is more enjoyable when done with friends. If you have a commitment to meet your best friend for a 2 mile run every Tuesday and Thursday... you're more than likely to keep each other accountable. Grab a coffee afterwards as a way to reward your efforts.

Feel free to add me as a friend or PM me if you have any questions,

Cheers,
  • KatsCradle
    KatsCradle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Interval training 3x a week & you'll run a mile in no time
  • kms263
    kms263 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @JaydenLindsey420 Finding the music that makes you enjoy running is key. I'm not a major Taylor Swift fan but her 1989 album makes me run better. I don't know the science behind this but the music is key. It helped me go from 5k to 10k and LOOK FORWARD TO IT. I swear
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start by walking fast until you get up to about three miles and aren't huffing and puffing. Than start to mix in some intervals of running. Get an app for your phone (I use Runtastic) and have it tell you when you hit a 1/4 or 1/2 mile marks. You can get started by doing something like walk a half and run a quarter mile and repeat. As you build strength you will find yourself increasing the run portion and start to feel great. Just start slow and increase very gradually. I started walking due to knee pain when I ran. This slow approach let me work up to running. I now run 5 or more miles a day and run half marathons....and love it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd add that lots of people get a bit ONE TRUE WAY (tm) about how to enjoy running. For me it's a question of finding what motivates you to want to run in the first place, and I'd echo the point above that it's not for everyone, but give it a fair crack. To me that fair crack is completing C25K and then reviewing how you feel. That's 90 minutes per week for 9 weeks, so not much commitment.

I started running because I needed to lose some weight, and running was the easiest exercise to fit into my schedule as I was doing a lot of work related travel. Throw a bag in the back of the car, and pick hotels I could run from.

Once I finished C25K I found that I was enjoying the headspace, at the end of a day I spent time on my own, sorted through the stresses of that day, had a bit of a think about what was coming up, or just zoned out.

I'm a solitary runner, so the idea of running with someone else and chatting for that time is anathema. Equally, others find it motivating. That said, I enjoy races. I do a half marathon about once a month, with a couple of marathons planned for this year, that's a whole different thing.

Some people enjoy music, others enjoy audiobooks. I do use music for speed sessions sometimes, but for most urban runs I'll use audiobooks or run without and just one out. For most of my long sessions I run on tails, nothing but me, trees, birds and animals.

You have to find your own way.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    2. Talk test - most novice runners start out by running way too fast (and inevitably end up injured or discouraged). When you are starting to run... run at a pace that you can hold a conversation. That's all. If you can still talk, you're doing it right (and we aren't talking about speed training, or chasing down a Kenyan). Most of your runs should be of this kind of pace (about 80% of them).

Came here to pretty much say this. Talk test, think jog not run. Take it easy. Speed will come later, I promise.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    KatsCradle wrote: »
    Interval training 3x a week & you'll run a mile in no time

Followed by on the couch nursing an injury. Slow and steady is the key. Nothing more until you can run much more than mile.