Calorie limits for weight loss??

Options
Hi, I'm new and sorry if this is something really obvious. But I don't understand why mfp tells me to eat 1200 to lose 2lbs a week, 1210 to lose 1.5lbs and 1430ish for 1lb?? Why the 10 calorie difference - it doesn't seem right.

Replies

• smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The short answer is that anything under 1200 calories is not considered safe. So, at 1200 calories, you probably won't be losing 2lbs per week, but more like 1.6. In other words, MFP doesn't recommend that you lose anymore than that a week unless you add in exercise.
  • jaynebrennan1977
    jaynebrennan1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get you!! While you're here can I ask you another question... Can you rollover any leftover calories if you eat them on another day but within a certain time limit?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Because on non-exercise days that MFP is estimating what you burn - you don't burn more than 1000 calories above 1200 - their fail-safe lower limit for recommending.

Now - I'm betting that is with a setting of sedentary - but are you truly with no kids/pets, 45 hr weekly work/commute with desk job totally sitting, no big family cooking cleaning needed in evenings/weekends, ect?
    Truly a bump on a log outside of any exercise time?
    If you do more than than - you aren't Sedentary.
    Pick Lightly Active - and you'll have your 1000 cal deficit probably.

You got over 60 lbs to lose that makes 2 lbs weekly a reasonable weight loss amount?

Vast majority didn't gain fat fast - don't attempt to lose it fast or it won't be just fat you lose.
  • jaynebrennan1977
    jaynebrennan1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Got it. You're right, I have four young kids and yes i move. Changed it and it let me do the 1200. I'll start it tomorrow though cos otherwise it looks like I overate today. Thanks!!!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get you!! While you're here can I ask you another question... Can you rollover any leftover calories if you eat them on another day but within a certain time limit?

You can set it to weekly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Got it. You're right, I have four young kids and yes i move. Changed it and it let me do the 1200. I'll start it tomorrow though cos otherwise it looks like I overate today. Thanks!!!

Still suggest when you got 40 lbs left, switch to 750 cal deficit.
    20 left - 500 cal deficit.
    10 left - 250 cal deficit.

With that activity level.

If you were doing a whole lot less - I'd raise those lbs by 10 for the switchover.