Have vegetarians met their macros within their calorie limits?

Options
2»

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    This seems crazy low....
    I eat 1400 cal a day and have no problems meeting my goals of 105p/31f/175c. I'm vegan, and eat a lot of seitan, beans (black, chickpea), quinoa, tvp, and the occasional tofu. I also have one shake and one protein bar on days I work out. For 1500 cals, all of your numbers seem very low. Are you positive you've calculated correctly?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, eat about 2,000 calories a day (maintaining), and generally don't have problems meeting my goals. I get most of my protein from beans, tofu, tempeh, vegetables, grains, and seitan. I will occasionally add protein powder to a smoothie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You cannot be at calorie limit and significantly under on all three macros (unless drinking lots of alcohol). Your macros make up the total calories.

So those results are going to be from quick adding calories or alcohol or (quite likely) incorrect entries. Nothing to do with being vegetarian.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How about yogurt: Greek yogurt has a lot of protein for the number of calories.

Other possibilities: Soy foods like tempeh, edamame, dry-roasted soybeans; chickpea pasta or black bean pasta; any and all beans/legumes; nuts in reasonable portions including peanuts & peanut butter; vegetables that have at least a little protein rather than those with none; seeds; grains such as quinoa, buckwheat, teff, triticale, spelt, etc. If you don't need to eat gluten-free, seitan is also an option.

Personally, I don't enjoy fake meats, protein bars, or protein powder supplements, so I don't eat them, therefore I can't suggest any that are tasty, but I'm sure others can/will.

Check out the spreadsheet described in this forum post: Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

The top of the spreadsheet has a lot of meat items, but if you scroll down it, you'll find vegetarian sources. Find the most calorie-efficient protein sources that you like, and eat more of those.

Thank you so much help and info!

I forgot to mention PB2 peanut butter powder (there are other brands, too). PB2 comes in original, and chocolate. Basically, it's peanut butter with the fat removed, and (a small amount of) sugar added, 45 calories per serving, 4g protein.

Though you can mix it with water to make a spreadable thing, I don't really enjoy it that way. I like the chocolate one to flavor & slightly sweeten plain Greek yogurt (I'd put it in smoothies if I ever ate them).

The plain one makes a nice peanut sauce for edamame/mung fettuccine and veggies - just mix it with soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, and whatever seasoning you like (ginger, garlic, toasted sesame oil, green onions, szechuan pepper, hot pepper sauce are some options). One serving of that pasta + peanut sauce is 28g protein, even before considering whether the veggies you use have some protein.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sorry for confusion guys but all of those numbers have a minus before, meaning that I am under the goal for those amounts (meaning I still those amount left) and when it is + meaning i went over the goal.

Why only 2 eggs a week? Because I don't particularly enjoy those

Cottage cheese: unfortunately don't like it! I only like milk/yogurt, parmesan over pasta or mozzarella over pizza . But no other cheese I never liked it since childhood

Today I had big portion tofu but I find tofu to be heavy on my stomach like if I don't digest it very easily although I like it when baked,

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry for confusion guys but all of those numbers have a minus before, meaning that I am under the goal for those amounts (meaning I still those amount left) and when it is + meaning i went over the goal.

I understand that, but you can't be over 500 calories below your three macros in total (which is what the numbers you reported work out to) and be at your calorie limit unless the macros are wrong on some of the entries or you are choosing entries without macros included (as with quick add). That's the thing you need to figure out before worrying whether you are under on some macros.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I understand that, but you can't be over 500 calories below your three macros in total (which is what the numbers you reported work out to) and be at your calorie limit unless the macros are wrong on some of the entries or you are choosing entries without macros included (as with quick add). That's the thing you need to figure out before worrying whether you are under on some macros.

I think it might then be the reason, I generally scan bar codes....somebody suggest to use usda coded entries let me go back and check my last day
  • Rit1603
    Options
    Ok today i met the goal but thanks to 1 protein bar for breakfast, tofu at lunch and shake at dinner, i actually went over 12 g, ok i guess i have to find balance
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes i eat eggs but max one egg 2 times a week and i drink milk in the morning.

if you're concerned about the cholesterol and fat in egg yolks, just eat the whites. that's what i was doing, but now i buy cartons of egg whites - they're not expensive from target.
    Ok today i met the goal but thanks to 1 protein bar for breakfast, tofu at lunch and shake at dinner, i actually went over 12 g, ok i guess i have to find balance

you can go over 12 grams on protein and it won't hurt you at all unless you have a medical condition that doesn't allow you to eat more protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you only like tofu when it is baked, work things out so that it is baked. :)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?! I have no problems hitting 80-90 g of protein without thinking about it and that was when I was losing weight last year at between 1300-1600 calories. To hit protein that low I can only imagine your eating all refined carbs or very processed foods...
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Was struggling initially but added a protein shake and problem solved I just readjusted what I eat during the day to balance out added calories I'm at 1200 and now average 100g of protein a day if anything I end up low on carbs but not to worried about that (not super low just not hitting MFP recommendation)
  • Rit1603
    Options
    Yes i eat eggs but max one egg 2 times a week and i drink milk in the morning.

if you're concerned about the cholesterol and fat in egg yolks, just eat the whites. that's what i was doing, but now i buy cartons of egg whites - they're not expensive from target.

you can go over 12 grams on protein and it won't hurt you at all unless you have a medical condition that doesn't allow you to eat more protein.

No i never even reach cholesterol mfp suggested amounts The thing is i find eggs gross.....imagine pouring them from a carton !
  • Rit1603
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you only like tofu when it is baked, work things out so that it is baked. :)

Yes it is a good source of protein but I have not mastered it in cooking. At all.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    What are you eating?! I have no problems hitting 80-90 g of protein without thinking about it and that was when I was losing weight last year at between 1300-1600 calories. To hit protein that low I can only imagine your eating all refined carbs or very processed foods...

Mostly vegetable, fruits , add tofu, avocado, sometimes force myself on adding tuna , nuts , ezekiel bread, thin rice cakes,hummus,yogurt,milk,legumes

Today i had a protein bar and cofee with milk on breakfast
    Lunch baked tofu and spinach salad with avocado 1 tbsp olive oil and vinegar but then i couldnt resist to 1/4 pizza!
    At dinner a protein meal shake with banana
    Today i reached my protein/fat goal but I had more calories as consequence

No i never eat refined carbs or very processed food
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

Mostly vegetable, fruits , add tofu, avocado, sometimes force myself on adding tuna , nuts , ezekiel bread, thin rice cakes,hummus,yogurt,milk,legumes

Today i had a protein bar and cofee with milk on breakfast
    Lunch baked tofu and spinach salad with avocado 1 tbsp olive oil and vinegar but then i couldnt resist to 1/4 pizza!
    At dinner a protein meal shake with banana
    Today i reached my protein/fat goal but I had more calories as consequence

No i never eat refined carbs or very processed food

There's literally no way you are only eating 20 g of protein, try tracking your macros from the label and put them in yourself instead of using what's on here which might be incorrect.