Strong cravings... How to ignore them?!?

Options
Jess89000
Jess89000 Posts: 763 Member
How do you cope with food cravings??

Replies

• Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Video games. Can't think about food when I'm pew-pewing bad guys.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Video games. Can't think about food when I'm pew-pewing bad guys.

Wow I never thought about it that way! Great idea!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yup, I walk & watch Netflix or play Minecraft if I have too much free time.
  • Ctscanallday
    Ctscanallday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink a big glass of water. You don't have cravings with a full stomach.
  • thewildair
    thewildair Posts: 31 Member
    Options

This almost always works for me! Also, try low-cal treats instead. If I'm craving something salty, I'll eat a few little pickles. If I'm craving something sweet, I'll eat a clementine or some grapes. It satisfies the urge to munch on something.
  • mandamoxie
    mandamoxie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I second the big glass of water! I keep a water bottle with me, and just nurse it throughout the day. I get a lot less cravings than when I don't drink a bunch of water throughout the day.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I make them fit into my calories for the day. I find that if I deprive myself of something it makes me want it more. So if I'm craving pizza, I make it myself so I can keep it within my calories for the day. If I'm craving chips, I weigh out a small portion for my evening snack.
    It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    sometimes i try and fit it in my calorie goal for the day but if its in the evening and i dont have enough left i just brush my teeth- nothing tastes right after brushing lol
  • roxycuty
    roxycuty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What type of cravings do you have? If sugar, I suggest to have fruits and amp up for your protein. Sugar is my weakness.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just say have it. I learned to deal with my cravings this way. It's the best way to go. If you keep telling yourself no. Then your natural instinct is to say yes. Just try to enjoy every bite and next time take less bites. Little by little your cravings will go away. Try to stay busy as well so you don't think about snacking.
  • gym_foodie
    gym_foodie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1-2 treats weekly so whenever I get cravings I will tell myself to wait till my treats time (or I have already had my treats for the week and no more this week unless I want to go back to my unhealthy self)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I need to be actively doing something - walking around, cleaning, etc. in order to distract myself. If it's late at night and I'm all out of calories, sometimes just going to bed will work. Oftentimes, we think we're hungry when we're really just thirsty, so try drinking a glass of water or having some tea first. If you are still legitimately hungry 15 minutes later, you might actually need a small snack. Try something with protein.

If it's cravings for a specific food (something maybe you think you shouldn't be eating) but you still have enough calories left, I personally would just eat it. I don't limit any particular food or food group. If it fits in my calories and I want it, I eat it!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I either eat fruit or binge on Netflix lol Also National Geographic works too!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

This is what I've been doing lately. If I feel like eating something but I'm not really hungry, I'll chug down 1.5L of water, this usually does the trick.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    mine usually come at night,so i just go to sleep.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Lol. I laugh when I see this. Wish it worked for me.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mid afternoon - I try to drink some water or ice tea and tell myself that the next commercial break, I'll get something to eat (telecommute full time and tv is usually on for background noise). Sometimes I get so tied up with work stuff that I miss the commercial break and then realize that I'm not that hungry. Other times, I just need to eat something and I try to mindful about it (either portion size or healthier option) but sometimes I just need to feed the potato chip monster because raw carrots aren't going to cut it!
    If I'm off work, I'll do needlework (no eating because I have to keep my hands clean), get out of the house (even if it just means I'm walking down to the boardwalk or running errands), or clean.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It depends on if the craving is due to hunger or just in my head. If it's hunger, I eat and make adjustments. If it's in my head, I find distractions. I walk, knit, go have a conversation, etc to take my mind off of eating.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid having cravings in the first place by making sure that I have a good amount of protein and fiber in my diet, especially at my first couple of meals of the day.

Protein and fiber are your friends as far as satiety are concerned.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    willpower