migraines

Options
I've been eating super clean this month. I'm down eleven pounds. I drink at least a gallon of water a day, and I am still getting terrible migraines. Doctor said "stress", but I've had several extremely stressful days without one and happy days with excruciating ones. It's affecting me badly. I don't want to move much less exercise. Doctor couldn't give medicine since I have a nursing baby. What can I do? Any food that helps? I don't really easy triggers anymore?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your triggers are?
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I determined that certain foods trigger migraines for me - tuna in particular.

Is there anything new or different you're eating in the last month, maybe your migraines are food induced??
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If you are suffering from "low carb flu", it is supposed to go away after a few weeks. I am still waiting for mine to go away. I guess you don't want to have caffeine if you are nursing, but caffeine helps. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Erinshealthdiscovery
    Erinshealthdiscovery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's all new. I'm eating clean so no more unhealthy food. Maybe if I log the migraines too I can find a trigger? They seem pretty random.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me it is dehydration or not enough caffeine. And, just not eating enough
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I use Migraine Buddy, http://www.migrainebuddy.com/, to track triggers and other conditions that could lead to migraine. I highly recommend it, and it's free!
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I get migraines occasionally and still don't know what triggers them. I eat the same foods a lot so I know it's not any food I eat.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tend to get them when my cycle is just starting or just ending.
    Red wine used to bring them on so I cut that out years ago. X
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It is allergy season, so maybe allergies are triggering them? Also, a gnarly sinus headache will feel very similar to a migraine. Also, watch out for any sort food/drink with sulfites (dried fruits, wine, hot dogs, bacon).
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My trigger is lack of sleep/rest. When I feel it coming I take my meds for it. It helps a little. I never thought of food as being a trigger.
  • thewildair
    thewildair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get migraines too, and I was getting a lot of them when I cut refined/added sugar out of my diet. It took about a month before I was back to my normal baseline.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a huge migraine trigger for me and a lot of other people too.
  • PennyBrew
    PennyBrew Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth at night? Sometimes that can trigger migraines. I know it does for me and several of my massage clients.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a huge migraine trigger for me and a lot of other people too.

YES. When I was in my 30s I began getting terrible dizzy spells (the stay in bed and don't move kind) alternating with migraines for about a year. Had all kinds of tests done. One of my docs mentioned just kind of offhand that maybe I should cut out the aspartame. I was ready to try anything. I cut it out and was symptom free within 4 weeks. If you are sensitive to it, it takes that long for whatever has accumulated in your system to get out. It is definitely worth checking out.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work done (beyond just the basics)? I had been suffering from migraines and when I had blood work done, it showed I was significantly deficient in vitamin D. My MD suggested that this *could* be related, and that more research was being done currently about the link. She told me to take a vitamin D supplement either way because even if I didn't have migraines, I was too low. After a few weeks of starting the vitamin d, I noticed I no longer had migraines. Could just be coincidence but it might be worth checking out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    JEJMA0223 wrote: »
    It's all new. I'm eating clean so no more unhealthy food. Maybe if I log the migraines too I can find a trigger? They seem pretty random.

Download a migraine app. It can help you identify your triggers.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Two of my migraine triggers are bright focused light and glare. If my curtains are open all the way, I'm fine. But if they're closed and just a sliver of light is shining in, I'll be sick almost immediately. I wear sunglasses outside, and try to avoid glare at all costs. I also try to avoid having my picture taken with flash.
  • Erinshealthdiscovery
    Erinshealthdiscovery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I definitely clench my teeth at night. I drink over a gallon of water a day and no sugar. Light definitely bothers me and the doctor wouldn't do any blood work. She said to come back when I finish nursing my baby. I will definitely download an app. I didn't know that was a thing. Thank you everyone.
  • PennyBrew
    PennyBrew Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you clench talk to your dentist too. They can fit you for a mouth guard that will protest your teeth and keep you from grinding. You can also massage your jaw. You'd be surprised how many people have knots in the massetter and pterygoid muscles.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I had migraines every other day while nursing my now 16 year old. It was hormonal. I am sorry you are having them.