Brestfeeding Question

Options
Ok, so I know that you're supposed to eat your exercise calories... but should I be eating the calories burned by nursing?

The reason I ask is bc with my 2nd son, I dropped weight very quickly. I was eating but not as much as I am now, bc I'm eating the calories I've burned.

I never feel hungry (which is a good thing) & I always have calories left over, usually about 200. I lost 6 lbs last wk but this wk I've only lost 3.5lbs. I'm afraid my weight loss is slowing down & that scares me! I'm tired of being fat! lol :sad:

Thanks in advance for any input!

Replies

• mommy_of_3_boys
    Options
    Ok, so I know that you're supposed to eat your exercise calories... but should I be eating the calories burned by nursing?

The reason I ask is bc with my 2nd son, I dropped weight very quickly. I was eating but not as much as I am now, bc I'm eating the calories I've burned.

I never feel hungry (which is a good thing) & I always have calories left over, usually about 200. I lost 6 lbs last wk but this wk I've only lost 3.5lbs. I'm afraid my weight loss is slowing down & that scares me! I'm tired of being fat! lol :sad:

Thanks in advance for any input!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you put in as rate of weight loss, but 3.5 pounds a week is awesome. Most of us are focused on 1-2 pounds a week, to take weight off at a healthy rate, by changing our lifestyles.

It sounds to me like you are doing fine - but, of course, I am fairly new and not an expert.

It will be interesting to see what some of the more experienced posters have to say.

janiebeth
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    your body needs those calories for breastfeeding. it's really kind of added to the base of your calories rather than being extra. making breastmilk is another body function that needs X amount of calories. How old is your baby if he is little you need 500 extra. my son is over a year and I put in only 100 extra

someone correct me if im wrong.

btw 3.5lbs in one week is amazing
  • mommy_of_3_boys
    Options
    your body needs those calories for breastfeeding. it's really kind of added to the base of your calories rather than being extra. making breastmilk is another body function that needs X amount of calories. How old is your baby if he is little you need 500 extra. my son is over a year and I put in only 100 extra

He's only 2 mos. I've been putting in an extra 550 bc he gets about 5 oz a feeding & he eats at least 6 times a day. I'm not really worried about my milk supply bc I have TONS of milk. I mean, he gets those 5 oz in less than 15 mins! lol I guess I'm just comparing it to my experience with my middle son. I dropped 8 sizes in about 6 mos & it didn't affect my supply (nursed him till 15 mos). I guess I was just hoping for those same results this time around. I know that 3.5lbs is good but I just want more results! :happy:
    Thanks so much for your help though
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! It feels really wonderful to be so successful!!

With that being said, I agree with the others! Be patient, lose slowly & it'll last a lifetime!! Besides you don't want to hinder your milk supply. Isn't it wonderful that we can burn extra calories this way!! I'll be honest with you... I don't really eat the calories I should either, but my daughter is almost 11 months now & she's eating solids as well, so I'm thinking that I probably don't need the 500 extra that you do. Eat right, exercise & be patient! Celebrate your success!!

You & your family are really beautiful!!
  • mommy_of_3_boys
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! It feels really wonderful to be so successful!!

With that being said, I agree with the others! Be patient, lose slowly & it'll last a lifetime!! Besides you don't want to hinder your milk supply. Isn't it wonderful that we can burn extra calories this way!! I'll be honest with you... I don't really eat the calories I should either, but my daughter is almost 11 months now & she's eating solids as well, so I'm thinking that I probably don't need the 500 extra that you do. Eat right, exercise & be patient! Celebrate your success!!

You & your family are really beautiful!!

Thanks!! I guess patience is one thing that I need to work on! lol
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options

He's only 2 mos. I've been putting in an extra 550 bc he gets about 5 oz a feeding & he eats at least 6 times a day. I'm not really worried about my milk supply bc I have TONS of milk. I mean, he gets those 5 oz in less than 15 mins! lol I guess I'm just comparing it to my experience with my middle son. I dropped 8 sizes in about 6 mos & it didn't affect my supply (nursed him till 15 mos). I guess I was just hoping for those same results this time around. I know that 3.5lbs is good but I just want more results! :happy:
    Thanks so much for your help though
    the mosre babies sometimes the harder it is to loose. dont forget your older now then when you had your first. even if it's only a couple of years it makes a difference. I totally understand where your coming from

your doing a great job for you and your babies. keep it up !:flowerforyou:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to add 300-500 calories extra per day for breastfeeding. Closer to 500 if yuo are exclusively! Dont' worry your weight loss is great. 2lbs a week is the average so you are doing great!!!
  • mommy_of_3_boys
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support! I am exclusively nursing & I am a little older :ohwell: lol I just need to be patient, I guess! Thanks again everyone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • abillings9
    Options

This is right.
    mommy_of_3_boys it sounds to me like you're doing great!