Right amount of protein!

Options
What does this community think is the optimal amount of protein in a diet?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    An amount that allows you to build/retain muscle, feel pleasantly full on alloted calories, compose tasty meals, and is affordable.

In other words, individual, and withn a range.
  • Diahann357
    Diahann357 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested to me no more than100grams a day because more than that turns into,carbs.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Diahann357 wrote: »
    My nutritionist suggested to me no more than100grams a day because more than that turns into,carbs.

WHAT!!!!!!!!

The end is nigh, it really is.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

WHAT!!!!!!!!

Lol
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Dump that person. That is like saying at a certain point water turns into gasoline.

To answer the OP's question. The amount varies, but many people who actually study this stuff would say for someone who is losing weight .8-1.0g per pound of bodyweight (helps reduce lost of muscle). Same for those trying to build muscle.

• EdinBSpecialized
    EdinBSpecialized Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Dump that person. That is like saying at a certain point water turns into gasoline.

Water does become toxic for the body after a certain amount doesn't it?
  • meaganseafit
    meaganseafit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Proteins cannot turn in to carbs... If they meant it can store as fat if you have excess, then I mean technically yes - but the hope is that you actually use the fuel you're providing to yourself. Your body loves to store excess energy as fat for future use - it's not particularly interested in how it looks - it's interested in survival techniques. I usually go with the good ol' 1g per lb of body weight deal. Maybe a little less than that (try 0.75g per lb to start), but you can definitely eat more than 100g of protein per day!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Water does become toxic for the body after a certain amount doesn't it?

The point has nothing to do with the discussion, but yes it can. Protein cannot turn into carbs.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

WHAT!!!!!!!!

Magic :lol:

• helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What about if you're not building muscle and your exercise consists of walking. How much protein then? For example my body weight is 210lbs x 0.75g of protein would be 157.5g of protein. I'm eating about 50-60g a day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What does this community think is the optimal amount of protein in a diet?

For who? Really depends on the individual....

RDA is fine if you are sedentary.
    A bit more is helpful if you are in a calorie deficit (muscle sparing).
    A bit more than that if you do endurance cardio.
    Even more if you do significant weight/strength training.

I find 1g per 1lb of approximate lean mass works for me both in terms of results but also how it fits in my dietary choices.

For people who are obese then calculating from lean mass or goal weight is better than going for calculations based off current body weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about if you're not building muscle and your exercise consists of walking. How much protein then? For example my body weight is 210lbs x 0.75g of protein would be 157.5g of protein. I'm eating about 50-60g a day.

Helen, use the same calculations, but use your goal weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Your nutritionist is the reason I would only ever see a Registered Dietitian.....

OP according to Harvard ( health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096) you need about .8g for every kg of body mass (.36g per lb)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing.

The RDA is a minimum (a lot of people don't realize this) and is perfectly fine for a sedentary person...that would be about .36g per Lb. More is better when you're active and you would want a little more even if you were sedentary but dieting.

I'm usually a bit more than double the RDA minimum.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Excess protein can turn into glucose (probably what the nutritionist referred to as "carbs"):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22139560

"When protein intake surpasses the physiological needs of amino acids, the excess amino acids are disposed of by three major processes: 1. Increased oxidation, with terminal end products such as CO₂ and ammonia 2. Enhanced ureagenesis i. e. synthesis of urea linked to protein oxidation eliminates the nitrogen radical 3. Gluconeogenesis, i. e. de novo synthesis of glucose."