Options
124»

Replies

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    I need a kick start. Been doing this for over 2 months. Nothing. Waiting for the fresh veggies in our garden. But, that's not soon enough.

If you haven't lost weight in two months it's because you are eating more than you think you are and/or burning less calories from exercise than you think. Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? How are you calculating exercise burns?

No I'm not weighing food. I do measure as far as cups or whatever. I do count how many of something that I eat... Like crackers.. Exercise is thru Pacer.. It does calories. I just truly need to work on food choices and try harder to make the effort to eat breakfast and lunch. Just don't have time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I need a kick start. Been doing this for over 2 months. Nothing. Waiting for the fresh veggies in our garden. But, that's not soon enough.

If you haven't lost weight in two months it's because you are eating more than you think you are and/or burning less calories from exercise than you think. Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? How are you calculating exercise burns?

No I'm not weighing food. I do measure as far as cups or whatever. I do count how many of something that I eat... Like crackers.. Exercise is thru Pacer.. It does calories. I just truly need to work on food choices and try harder to make the effort to eat breakfast and lunch. Just don't have time.

You can pick up a scale quite inexpensively ... it's a worthwhile investment. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Food choices are irrelevant for weight loss...it's the amount of food consumed.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You can pick up a scale quite inexpensively ... it's a worthwhile investment. :)

I really need to. I used to use one. It is a huge help. Thank you
  • arniedog74
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Food choices are irrelevant for weight loss...it's the amount of food consumed.

OK. Thanks! I just need to get a scale
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    aduck2016 wrote: »
    Anyone other women over 40 feeling like overly reducing calories (1200-1400) just keeps you at a plateau? I used to be able to drop weight no problem, but in the last year or two it actually takes effort to drop or maintain. I've read a little about fat storing over 40 if calories are too low. Getting older is so frustrating!

Hormonal changes can make body comp an issue. I had learned about this within this last year and changed up my diet approach, and it worked beautifully. I'm 5'7" and lose weight very quickly with moderate exercise and 1700 cals. But prior to the changes I learned to make, I was a frustrated dieter for sure!!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46 and have no trouble losing weight eating a bit over 2000 calories a day. Eating 1400 at the beginning because an idiot Dr told me to go on a 1200 calorie a day diet, I was losing too fast and having trouble with focus and energy.

Being active helps. Being very careful about weighing and logging everything you eat is key.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel that my metabolism has slowed down after 40. Weird hormonal stuff too. Just means trying a little harder ;)
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm 43. However, I just ordered a scale because I think I need to be more diligent with weighing my food consistently.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I really feel that I have to add my voice here to the warnings given by @queenliz99 and @SezxyStef over the VERY real chance of causing problems for ourselves as women our ages dieting and the loss of muscle mass and the real chance of developing osteoporosis.

I started in my late 40's losing about 168lbs in all. During that time I was active, I hiked, climbed mountains did body weight videos and generally the strongest and fittest I had been all my life.

Initially as I had so much to lose I wasn't using MFP (didn't even know it existed) closer to goal it got harder even with all the working out so out came the scales and using this site.

What I didn't know was that I was heading down a very serious health path, although my circumstances are extreme, my point here is to implore ALL you lovely ladies to understand just how quickly things can change and turn and bite you on the backside.

I got really sick. Auto immune disease. Almost overnight I could not get out and be active. I wish I had focused on more muscle retention rather than cardio, maybe that would have protected me for longer. I wish I had not automatically gone to the 1200 calorie mark either, as I am sure that extended periods of eating at such deficits are hard on our bodies.

I am now 53, complete with quite severe osteoporosis, I have fractured my back twice, once picking up a heavy item when we moved, how the other fracture occurred and when is a mystery. I am facing a spinal fusion and my mobility is severely comprised. I have to have constant care and am in constant pain. Now I'm NOT strong and I'm NOT fit....

TL:DR I know that not everyone is going to end up like me, my issues are unique but eating at huge deficits and almost punishing our bodies when they won't comply won't do any favours either. Eat as much as you can. Lift heavy. Be patient and weigh your portions.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    @HippySkoppy I agree, nothing harsh or extreme is needed, and probably is not good!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I "tried and tried" and couldn't lose weight. Two weeks ago, got me a food scale and pre-logged and measured and logged my food. Now, I'm losing weight like it's my job.

42F
  • arniedog74
    Options
    MFP has me at 1260 calories. I finally weighed myself and have lost only 2lbs in 2 1/2 months. I keep seeing people saying that's too low. I will be 43 in just a few months. I walk dogs at my rescue 5 days a week and am trying to do more on my off days, and am on my second Squat Challenge. I'm not pushing myself to hard to do much as far as working out. I just want to feel a little better about myself. Is 1260 too low for my age and minimum activity? It seems this is an extremely slow process for me. But, I blame it on the limited activity.
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This has been a really helpful post to read - so many replies! I'm 46 and trying to lose about 30. It's coming off slowly at 1350 calories (which I don't reach most days due to my spin classes which burn so many calories).

On a slightly related topic, I find that my neck is sagging more than ever. It makes me so nervous about getting thinner. I have never been a vain person but now I am thinking to myself, "Am I a person who could consider a neck lift?!" I refuse to google it, though, as I will then be chased by ads I hate. Sigh.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    48 here. Yes, it's harder now. At1350-1450 calories a day, half an hour of walking plus half to a full hour of working out every day and NOT eating back any of those exercise calories, I may lose a pound in a week...or I may only lose half a pound. Or on the odd week, no loss at all or even a slight bump up. That is with strict adherence, no PMS, a normal amount of sodium and weighing my portions.

I lost a pound and a half this week out of the blue, I almost fainted, I'm sure it was a fluke and I'll be up again tomorrow.

I do have hypothyroidism. It's possible that's figuring in.

And no, I don't use any of this as an excuse. I just grind away and grind away hoping every Sunday that tomorrow's weigh-in will show a good week, with at least half a pound gone. Slowly, but steadily, I am in fact going down.
  • melroseaker
    melroseaker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 52 shortly and ran a marathon on the 10/4 and was running 20-30 miles a week and not loosing ,gained actually,from the 11/4 I've recorded religiously with exercise and have lost 4kg in 10 days so stick to it and record everything and watch your sugar doesn't go over,good luck.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 52 shortly and ran a marathon on the 10/4 and was running 20-30 miles a week and not loosing ,gained actually,from the 11/4 I've recorded religiously with exercise and have lost 4kg in 10 days so stick to it and record everything and watch your sugar doesn't go over,good luck.

That's what works: Recording food religiously and exercise. Pretty simple. I also watch my sugar intake. Congrats to finishing a marathon. Awesome.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 4 years. I am 64 now. I lost over 1/2 of my current body weight and have been on maintenance for over 2 years. It wasn't harder to lose the weight, but maintenance is a struggle, as I do think that some older people (myself) just need less calories than younger people, at least that is true for me. I go to they gym everyday and walk for exercise now, but I lost 100# before I began to even walk more. I think losing is not easy at any age. It takes real commitment and self control.