100th post - make it my progress. From 240 to 166 - now to start recomp

Options
ASH_DVM
ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
Well, it's not easy for me to post about myself. Especially posting progress pics. But I think it's time.

I started back in early July of 2015. I was at my heaviest, nearly 240 pounds (239.4 lb). I had just graduated with my DVM degree and started my new job as a veterinarian. All the stresses of school were finally behind me, so I decided that it was time to get into shape. My lowest adult weight (in my college years) was right around 186 pounds. At 239.4 lb and 5' 9.33", my BMI was 35, into Obesity Class II and my waist measurement was 44". This was me heading down the road to chronic disease, especially since it runs in the genetics.

So that day, July 5th, 2015, I started. I started without the help of MFP for the first few months. I exercised a little bit, but that entailed chugging along for less than a mile run at a time, giving up easily, but pushing myself a little farther each day. About the end of August, when I had reached near 225 pounds, I started with MFP. I logged religiously for the first months. I also joined the YMCA and began to up my running. By about November, I was down to around 207, and under 200 by the beginning of November.

It was at this time I tried a little bit of Low Carb/High Fat, or Keto. While I still logged and lost weight, this drastically cut my energy levels for working out and I went back to normal logging, around 1/1/16. By this time, I was down to 190.8 pounds.

After the New Year, I began a structured half marathon training program. My runs at this time were around 3 miles and average pace was about 10 min/mile. But I stuck with the program for the 12 weeks, culminating with a 12 mile training run, which I paced in 9:02 min/miles, well under the pace necessary for a 2 hr half marathon. But then achilles tendinitis struck a few days before my race, so I was unable to run.

But I still have another race scheduled for May 7th. I may not run the half, but I will walk all 13.1 miles if I have to. I will get the medal, and I will shake Meb Kefleghzi's hand, as he will be on site to congratulate all of the PRs. Even if I walk it, it will be a PR. Though I will not make my 1:50:00 goal I had set for myself, one year ago I would never have even dreamed of making it 13.1 miles.

So all of this hard work leads to today. As of 4/16/16, I am at 166.6 pounds. My BMI is down to 24.37, within normal range. For the first time in my life, I am not overweight or obese.

I am slowly building a new wardrobe. I have to buy size small shirts and size 32 waist paints and shorts. Even Puma and Izod brands which run small I need these sizes. It's amazing walking into a store and being able to buy anything I want.

Here's my weight chart from MFP. I weighed only once every week or two up until the end of March 28th, 2016, so fluctuations are minimal until then, when I started daily tracking to graph it. There are times of no loss, so I want to show all the bigger picture in the end, that the end goal is worth fighting through frustrations

tm3y8mh5dlsm.jpg

And here's my words of wisdom. Do it for you. Don't do it for anyone else. But also don't deprive yourself of enjoyment. I achieved my current goals while still enjoying lunch out with my fellow veterinarians, sometimes salads, sometimes whatever I felt like. I still ate ice cream, but less. I still at chocolate, but less. I still drank beer and wine, but only good beer and wine. I lost this weight enjoying dinner meetings at great steakhouses in Indianapolis (like St. Elmo's, Mortons, and Ocean Prime). I did this baking bourbon pecan pies for Thanksgiving, cheesecakes for Christmas, and eating them with my family and friends. I did this with trips for my best friend's wedding, for deer hunting, for a bachelor party, and a conference in New Orleans with pharmaceutical sales reps wining and dining me at the top end restaurants. And the best bread pudding (Muriel's in New Orleans. Recipe is available online. Look it up, I dare you). But most of all, I did this while learning how to live and live well. You don't have to deprive. You don't have to cut food groups. Just eat what you love, just less. Do what you love, just more. And you, too, will achieve any and all of your goals.

My next step is recomposition. I'm willing to put in the time and effort, and I have the patience to do so over the next couple years. I just turned 26, so I have plenty of time to achieve my best. I don't know what my current BF% is, if you want to venture a guess just use my current progress pic and let me know.

Please, if you have any questions, ask. Friend me, I'll help motivate. Or, just know that if I can do it, anyone can. Thanks for reading, all.

qvr2iz20z7tv.jpg

Replies

• jpbazemo
    jpbazemo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational. Thanks for the information and before/after. Congrats.
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your story - very truthful and honest.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Woow truly inspired!! Great work!!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Great transformation! I hope you post again after your recomp!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lookin' great, good job.
  • grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know how difficult it is being in the medical world as well with the drug rep dinners and crazy work hours. Keep it up!
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Boom, Boom, POW look at you NOW - Great job!!
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! "Just eat what you love, just less. Do what you love, just more." Well said!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    rawr!
  • jmmoore1324
    jmmoore1324 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love this!! Great job!!
  • ASH_DVM
    Options
    Thanks all! Am starting strong lifts 5x5 tomorrow. I think this 166-168 is a good weight range for me right now. I will co to use to update with Recomp results and musings.

I'm planning on 2500 calories average, with at least 135g protein. Along with the 3 days a week weight lifting I will throw some cardio in. Probably not running right away as I don't think my Achilles is quite ready for that yet, but swimming and biking, or other machines at the gym are fair game.

I am going to take a before picture today and then regularly throughout the process. I also have a spreadsheet with all of my calorie intakes, burns, averages, as well as macros to track as well and easily see trends and the ability to take notes if I change things too.

I know it's going to be a slow process, but I'm ready and willing to put in the time and effort.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job, congrats on your success. I do wish you would change your profile pic though, what is a sport to some is heartbreaking to others.
  • ASH_DVM
    edited April 2016
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    You have done an amazing job, congrats on your success. I do wish you would change your profile pic though, what is a sport to some is heartbreaking to others.

It's also where food comes from. I'm going to leave my pic as is.
  • ASH_DVM
    Options
    So here's the start recomp pics with measurements in the pic:

bdtnwlzc0ryk.png

Ready to hit it hard and get on with it!
  • precious_cargo
    precious_cargo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Very inspiring :)
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Age and starting weight are almost exactly where I am right now so this post helps a ton. If you have some time I would definitely like to pick your brain a bit regarding meals, exercise etc that you found worked well for you.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think the recomp idea is great. Best of luck to you! You have done a fantastic job!
  • Mydiet65
    Mydiet65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ASH_DVM wrote: »
    Well, it's not easy for me to post about myself. Especially posting progress pics. But I think it's time.

I started back in early July of 2015. I was at my heaviest, nearly 240 pounds (239.4 lb). I had just graduated with my DVM degree and started my new job as a veterinarian. All the stresses of school were finally behind me, so I decided that it was time to get into shape. My lowest adult weight (in my college years) was right around 186 pounds. At 239.4 lb and 5' 9.33", my BMI was 35, into Obesity Class II and my waist measurement was 44". This was me heading down the road to chronic disease, especially since it runs in the genetics.

So that day, July 5th, 2015, I started. I started without the help of MFP for the first few months. I exercised a little bit, but that entailed chugging along for less than a mile run at a time, giving up easily, but pushing myself a little farther each day. About the end of August, when I had reached near 225 pounds, I started with MFP. I logged religiously for the first months. I also joined the YMCA and began to up my running. By about November, I was down to around 207, and under 200 by the beginning of November.

It was at this time I tried a little bit of Low Carb/High Fat, or Keto. While I still logged and lost weight, this drastically cut my energy levels for working out and I went back to normal logging, around 1/1/16. By this time, I was down to 190.8 pounds.

After the New Year, I began a structured half marathon training program. My runs at this time were around 3 miles and average pace was about 10 min/mile. But I stuck with the program for the 12 weeks, culminating with a 12 mile training run, which I paced in 9:02 min/miles, well under the pace necessary for a 2 hr half marathon. But then achilles tendinitis struck a few days before my race, so I was unable to run.

But I still have another race scheduled for May 7th. I may not run the half, but I will walk all 13.1 miles if I have to. I will get the medal, and I will shake Meb Kefleghzi's hand, as he will be on site to congratulate all of the PRs. Even if I walk it, it will be a PR. Though I will not make my 1:50:00 goal I had set for myself, one year ago I would never have even dreamed of making it 13.1 miles.

So all of this hard work leads to today. As of 4/16/16, I am at 166.6 pounds. My BMI is down to 24.37, within normal range. For the first time in my life, I am not overweight or obese.

I am slowly building a new wardrobe. I have to buy size small shirts and size 32 waist paints and shorts. Even Puma and Izod brands which run small I need these sizes. It's amazing walking into a store and being able to buy anything I want.

Here's my weight chart from MFP. I weighed only once every week or two up until the end of March 28th, 2016, so fluctuations are minimal until then, when I started daily tracking to graph it. There are times of no loss, so I want to show all the bigger picture in the end, that the end goal is worth fighting through frustrations

tm3y8mh5dlsm.jpg

And here's my words of wisdom. Do it for you. Don't do it for anyone else. But also don't deprive yourself of enjoyment. I achieved my current goals while still enjoying lunch out with my fellow veterinarians, sometimes salads, sometimes whatever I felt like. I still ate ice cream, but less. I still at chocolate, but less. I still drank beer and wine, but only good beer and wine. I lost this weight enjoying dinner meetings at great steakhouses in Indianapolis (like St. Elmo's, Mortons, and Ocean Prime). I did this baking bourbon pecan pies for Thanksgiving, cheesecakes for Christmas, and eating them with my family and friends. I did this with trips for my best friend's wedding, for deer hunting, for a bachelor party, and a conference in New Orleans with pharmaceutical sales reps wining and dining me at the top end restaurants. And the best bread pudding (Muriel's in New Orleans. Recipe is available online. Look it up, I dare you). But most of all, I did this while learning how to live and live well. You don't have to deprive. You don't have to cut food groups. Just eat what you love, just less. Do what you love, just more. And you, too, will achieve any and all of your goals.

My next step is recomposition. I'm willing to put in the time and effort, and I have the patience to do so over the next couple years. I just turned 26, so I have plenty of time to achieve my best. I don't know what my current BF% is, if you want to venture a guess just use my current progress pic and let me know.

Please, if you have any questions, ask. Friend me, I'll help motivate. Or, just know that if I can do it, anyone can. Thanks for reading, all.

qvr2iz20z7tv.jpg
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    I think the recomp idea is great. Best of luck to you! You have done a fantastic job!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!