What do you think of this workout?

Options
I did this today. I have tried doing workouts for a long time but only end up doing 1...per month :/ I am determined to do a workout Wednesday.. since I have never done a workout in succession. Before, I would burn myself out with 5 sets of 10 or more of each, so today I did as much as I felt that I would come back and do the same the next workout.

side raises 5x10, 5 lb dumbbells
curls 2x8, 10lb dumbbell
dumbbell press 2x5, 10 lb
knee push ups 2x8
db rows 2x10, 10 lb
glute bridge 5x10 seconds
calf raises 3 sets of 10, 10 second hold on each lift
squats 2x10
plank 3x10 seconds
50 jumping jacks

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • Cannonfury
    Cannonfury Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    What are your goals?

To get stronger, lose fat, and build some muscle. I am very weak. I was born with low muscle tone which means I have to work harder for muscle..

Mostly, to be strong and fit.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Cannonfury wrote: »

You don't need a workout, you need a program. You also don't need all that isolation work given your current strength level. Google "starting strength" or "stronglifts 5x5."
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    What are your goals?

To get stronger, lose fat, and build some muscle. I am very weak. I was born with low muscle tone which means I have to work harder for muscle..

What exactly is poor muscle tone? Are you saying an ectomorph or hard gainer?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »

You don't need a workout, you need a program. You also don't need all that isolation work given your current strength level. Google "starting strength" or "stronglifts 5x5."

This. Don't attempt to make your own workout. You need compound lifts if you want to lose weight and get stronger.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I too, would burn out if I did 5 sets of 10 reps of anything. More out of boredom than anything else, though. I just want to get stuff done and move on to the next activity.

I prefer to do just a few sets of low reps at high weight (but maintaining good form and not hurting) myself. If I can do a lot of reps of something, it's not heavy enough. I've managed to make the most progress in improving body composition by doing these high weight, low rep activities. Remember that heavy is relative to the individual. I do cardio, too, in between weight sessions. (Mountain biking and trail running because being outdoors is key to me enjoying it.)

It seems to me that the higher your intensity, the less time you have to invest. For example, I'd have to do a zillion reps at a light weight to make as much progress as I do with far fewer reps of heavier weight and I have to walk a lot farther and longer to burn as many calories as I do running...But that's just me. Do what works for you!

I guess everybody has their own preferences, though. More important than what we think about your routine is what you think. Try it for a while and if you see results and it feels good, then it's a good routine for you. If not, do some more research or take some of the advice here and see how that works for you. :)