Pre-workout

Options
I was looking into starting a preworkout drink. I just want a little more energy and a longer workout without burning myself out. Has anyone tried any that had worked well?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Citadel Nutrition Tier 1, or Tier 1+ (has more caffeine). This preworkout is the basic stuff you need. No filler crap or stuff that makes you "tingly". Go to CitadelNutrition.com and check them out.
  • omar57
    omar57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pre Jym you can buy at bodybuilding.com
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    omar57 wrote: »
    Pre Jym you can buy at bodybuilding.com

Jim is a sly con. He loads his supplements up with retarded amounts of caffeine just so you "feel something" so you don't notice it's all filler.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Citadel Nutrition Tier 1, or Tier 1+ (has more caffeine). This preworkout is the basic stuff you need. No filler crap or stuff that makes you "tingly". Go to CitadelNutrition.com and check them out.

That "tingly" feeling is a side effect of Beta Alanine, one of the better researched products out there. Citadel Nutrition Tier 1 has 3.2 grams of it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure it's completely unnecessary unless you're an athlete.
  • bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pill gets me through. 10 cents a pop. I used to take NOXPLODE or something like that. Was not worth the money. I like the tingly feeling so i buy raw beta alanine and toss a scoop in for heavy lifting days
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm quite sure it's completely unnecessary unless you're an athlete.

It is even for an athelete but if it gets you in the gym... It's hard to actually cop out of a workout after taking a preworkout plus there are benefits to caffiene.

My choice of Preworkout is MTS ruckus. No creatine or beta alanine, I also add both to it but if your not into those sort of things. Plus its $20 for pretty much 40 servings and the taste is top notch. Also quality ingredients.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

That "tingly" feeling is a side effect of Beta Alanine, one of the better researched products out there. Citadel Nutrition Tier 1 has 3.2 grams of it.

Sure, it's known and researched, but, it doesn't cause that like Yohimbe does. Or however you spell it.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

It always amazes me when someone will take a supplement without researching what is in it at all. "Oh this stuff makes my skin tingle and itch. I probably shouldn't find out why"

It's called paresthesia, which is when your nerve endings under your skin begin to fire. Resulting in a "tingling" sensation. Beta alanine is used to increase carnosine levels in the body which can help increase endurance and prolonged sets. Works quite well when paired with creatine monohydrate.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • MichaelaSenft
    MichaelaSenft Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take cellucor c4 pre workout and love it! I have soooo much energy. I have health conditions that give me really bad fatigue so I have to take it to have a good workout. I highly recommend it.
  • sparklemanatee
    sparklemanatee Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I take cellucor c4 pre workout and love it! I have soooo much energy. I have health conditions that give me really bad fatigue so I have to take it to have a good workout. I highly recommend it.

I love c4 too! I use the powder so I can control how little or much I want. Taste is great and gives me great energy.
  • RunningMermaid
    RunningMermaid Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Preworkout is a waste of money, and you guys are already broke-*kitten* college students- My 262 anatomy teacher.

Preworkout is drinking water and maybe eating a small snack, like a banana or apple half an hour before hand. If you don't have enough energy to finish your workout, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed and not covered up with preworkout. Make sure you're getting enough protein and carbs, as well as sleep and water.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Preworkout is a waste of money, and you guys are already broke-*kitten* college students- My 262 anatomy teacher.

Preworkout is drinking water and maybe eating a small snack, like a banana or apple half an hour before hand. If you don't have enough energy to finish your workout, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed and not covered up with preworkout. Make sure you're getting enough protein and carbs, as well as sleep and water.

Many of us don't take it due to lack of energy, but as that extra boost to push for an extra rep or two which can make all the difference when it comes to stimulating muscle growth.

Some of us even mix out own pre workouts in order to save money. I add 200mg caffeine, 5g creatine, 3.2g beta alanine, 5g L arginine, and occasionally 2.5-5g of taurine. With those concentrated aminos I can add anywhere from 5-15lbs to each of my major lifts. Which is honestly a great motivator. Some want to spend the money, others don't. I've done enough research on all of those supplements and decided they best suited my goals. I in no way advocate taking any supplements that you know nothing about.

• bigbuffbarry
    Options

DO YOU EVEN LIFT? Seriously
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Actually I would agree with RunningMermaid. I stopped drinking preworkout about a month ago, and went to just drinking coffee, and I feel so much better. I've been taking preworkouts for 4 years, and while I would feel something (mainly an overdose of caffeine) I would never benefit from them. Drinking coffee for me, mixed with some fats has been one of the best moves I've made recently.
  • bigbuffbarry
    Options
    alexzenk86 wrote: »

Actually I would agree with RunningMermaid. I stopped drinking preworkout about a month ago, and went to just drinking coffee, and I feel so much better. I've been taking preworkouts for 4 years, and while I would feel something (mainly an overdose of caffeine) I would never benefit from them. Drinking coffee for me, mixed with some fats has been one of the best moves I've made recently.

Still a stimulant vs carbs and water...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Excellent post. Determine the root cause why you think you need a pre-workout and address that.