how to make myself like vegetables

Options
I try to stock up on healthier foods to force me to eat better, but I can't get myself to eat salads alone. Im not the biggest veggie fan, any tips to make it more enjoyable to eat healthier and not be such a chore?

Replies

• adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always have to have protein in it. Bite of chicken..with a bite of veggies. That's the only way I can.
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound crazy but it's what I've been doing to get more veg. I cut everything up in one big bowl and have four ounces of pasta sauce on top of it with two tablespoons of sour cream. It was not easy at first, but it gets easier over time. I've used salsa as well with the sour cream but, again, only four ounces. That makes it just enough and not, to me, like everything is drowning in sauce.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I make stir fry's with as many different veggies as I can cram in there. Use chicken breast or steak for your meat and add yummy sauces that you like. Make sure to add the veggies in at the last minute so they don't go all soggy and mushy!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Cook veggies different ways. Use different spices, etc. You can probably find a tasty way to make them if you put in the effort.

Try googling vegetarian and vegan recipes. They've definitely got some non-standard recipes worth trying.
  • jjansma724
    jjansma724 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to not be a big vegetable fan either, but I started by just adding them to whatever I was eating. Easiest way is to just get the frozen veggies in the steamer bag - just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes. But there are so many recipes online that are super yummy! I usually sautée or steam them and do a stir-fry type dish with chunked up chicken breast. My favorite thing to make them seem like more of a cheat is to sprinkle some nutritional yeast on them! I know it sounds kindof weird, but it gives it a cheesy flavor! I use it on everything from popcorn to veggies.
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a vegan recipe blog. I eat ALL foods but find that a worth while vegan recipe is priceless. I vote that you wu8ila09j2km.jpg
    wuo5e18xnwsk.jpg
    ttb3o7ap9qaz.jpg
    nky0ev3ci0b5.jpg
    make my vegan crispy chicken sandwich (sweet potato burger). They're definitely not a substitute for the real thing but a great middle ground when you're looking to eat more veggies. Plus all of my recipes are cheap, super easy and include a video incase you need to see how exactly how I made it.

https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
  • alipie420
    alipie420 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! I will be visiting many different sites now to jot down some recipes to try out..
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am also super picky when it comes to veggies. I don't even like lettuce therefore I don't eat salads. Spinach leaf salads are alright but not something I love. I like green beans, peas, carrots, brocolli and tomatoes, but only cooked! My veggies always have to be cooked and I usually incorporate my brocolli with chicken and cheese (in moderation of course) to make it even better. Soup is an easy eay for me to sneak veggies in. I made kale chips the other day and they were pretty good. I baked carrot sticks with ranch seasoning on them...yum!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    One word: tempura

veg_tempura1.jpg
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Make veggies feel like something else. I make rutabaga "french fries" They look like fries. I also do a lot of baking root veggies (w/ olive oil and season) and steaming veggies (w/ olive oil and seasoning). Also, putting fruit on your salad makes it seam less, rabbity. Add some berries, grapes, apple, pear or pineapple. Makes it easier to skip the dressings too!
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There is hope for you yet! I was not a veggie fan and now I find myself craving them. :p If you're making salad try adding what you already like.- Make a taco salad and add some sour cream and cheese. I think you'll find yourself adding less and less fixings.- Add cranberries and croutons, or tortilla strips to your chicken salads. Try seasoning your veggies with some garlic and maybe adding some Motzarella cheese over them until you acquire a taste for the veggie itself.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Try vegetables cooked different ways like roasted or grilled. Try different combinations like green beans and tomatoes, broccolli, mushrooms and garlic, potatoes and peas.
    Put them in soup, stew, curry, sauces, stir fries, casseroles or on pizza.
    Chop fine and mix with ground meat for burgers, meatloaf or meatballs.
    Add to sandwiches or wraps. Try lettuce wraps.
    Stuff things into hollowed out cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini
    Try zucchini noodles.
    Try pickled vegetables.
    Pinterest is a great place for food ideas.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are my favorite foods. I've found that if you use non-stick aluminum foil, you can get away with hardly using any oil at all (maybe 1/2 - 1 tsp for a whole pan). Roasting works for almost all veg; my faves include Brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini & other types of squash, carrots, and green beans. Seriously, I always tell everyone that if you don't like a vegetable, try it roasted. Case in point: I always thought I hated Brussels sprouts. Tried them roasted, and now I DREAM about roasted Brussels sprouts and I could seriously eat them at every meal. So so so good!

Another way I like veg: chopped salads. So much better than regular salads. Everything is chopped up super fine (or use the shredder on your food processor), add a little dressing, and voila. I don't know why, but chopped salads changed the salad game for me as well.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of things.

First, I try to sneak more into what I'm already eating. If I make tuna salad, I'll throw in a ton of celery. I swap out some spaghetti for broccoli slaw and throw on some marinara (I like the crunch). Maybe even grate some carrot into the marinara.

Second, my husband and I will pick a veggie (seasonal) and then try to eat it a couple of times a week and make an effort to find some way to fix it that we like. We'll try roasting, steaming, grilling, different sauces, etc. We have really expanded our veggies this way and look forward to them.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Add butter! And I second the roasting (with some olive oil ). Also, keep trying. We can retrain our taste buds, but we need to keep trying and tasting.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    See mine is a texture problem. I find most veggies especially lettuce I have a texture issue with.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Another vote for roasting!!!

Also, add bite sized veggies to everything. When I make rice or barley, I cook frozen peas and corn in with it. I mix zoodles in with noodles. I put chopped celery, onion, and peppers in tuna, salmon, or chicken salad. Stir fry - a protein with veggies and sauce. I throw chopped veggies into scrambled eggs. Do you like marinara sauce? First, that counts! Second, steamed veggies mixed with a little marinara and a Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese wedge is yummy. Once you get started, you'll find other ways that work for you. And once you start eating them this way, it will help your taste buds start moving in the right direction :)
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1) Marinated
    2) Spiced (there's SO many sodium free spice blends out there, the Mrs. Dash ones are popular)
    3) Roasted (when they start to brown a little, the flavor is incredible)
    4) Grilled (yummy smoky flavor)
    5) Pureed (in soups and sauces. Carrots, Beets, Spinach, Pumpkin, Bnut/Acorn Squash, and Potatoes are excellent for this)
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Might I also add, it helps to get fresh pre-cut veggies from the produce section. Or have frozen ones on hand. For the lazy days, when you want to eat healthy but you don't have the time for washing and trimming.