What's a good stretch for...

Options
When you're sitting down, the two muscles (I think) that are on either side of the back of the leg at the knee area that kind of stick out. Are they muscles? And what are a good stretch for them?
I did karate 2 days ago, felt fine, and then kendo yesterday, soaked in a hot spring that night and woke up today to pain in those areas on both legs. I'm definitely going to take a break for today, but does anyone have good stretches for that area? I'm currently using my hands to pick up my knees and have kendo again tomorrow (which I'd like to go to if possible).
Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sounds painful. I would watch it, if you mess up your knees there really isn't a good way back. I would ask the instructor before I started.
  • jlvgriffin
    jlvgriffin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From the description it sounds like it is the hamstrings, however, that shouldn't bother you when you pick up your leg, more with walking and bending your knee. A good stretch for the hamstrings is the hurdlers stretch (one leg out and reach for your toes) however, it that stretch hurts more into those tendons that stick out instead of in the back of your leg (muscle belly) it more likely tendinitis rather than tightness, then you should rest those muscles until the pain calms down. If you continue to have problems picking up your legs...it is probably another muscle.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would ask the instructor. Im surprised they didn't show you some stretches specific for the exercise you will be doing.

You could also google leg stretches etc. I've found great stuff doing that. on U-tube too.

:)
  • NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) The hurdlers stretch got the general area pretty good, but not the spot that's causing the most difficulty. I'll ask the teachers, though they don't seem to be big on stretching. Now time to look up how to do so in Japanese >.<