Healthy bread options?

Options
2»

Replies

• NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    I just bought bread that I slice myself and it's changed my life - I can have delicious bread and make it fit into my calorie goal, I just have to slice it thinner! And it's crusty, solid bread so I don't feel like I'm missing out, but the slices at the size I want give me control. I had roasted garlic bread on my sandwich on Saturday for 60 calories a slice and it felt like a treat.

That is a great idea.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The barley wrap I've having lately are fantastic. High fibre protein , low sugar salt tasty and moist. A great alternative.
  • moniyq1994
    moniyq1994 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me, whole wheat is better because the extra fiber fills me up longer.

But to be fair, if it's going to be cardboard-tasting bread, I'd rather use a low carb wrap. So I buy/make tastier bread (not the pre-packaged stuff) or nothing. Life's too short to waste calories on non tasty food just because it's 'healthier' or lower calories.

TLDR - pick something that's worth the calories to you.

I agree with this! My two favorite, hearty breads are Dave's Killer Bread - 21 Grains & Seeds and Seeduction which you get from the bakery counter at Whole Foods.

Currently I've been using Dave's Killer Bread - Good Seed thin-sliced one slice is 70 calories, 3 grams or fiber, 3 grams of protein, and 13 total carbs it fits really well into my needs (usually use two slices so the maros and cals double) since pb&j is one of my favorite go to need a quick lunch also makes really really good BLT sandwiches yumm... dont know if u can find in in the UK but here its a little spendy at $5 a loaf but im the only one who eats it so i freeze half-3/4ths of the loaf and make sure to use every slice and not waste any one loaf will last me nearly a month
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Bread is made from flour, which is calorie dense. That is not bad luck or a coincidence, it was invented to provide us with calories! There's nothing wrong with bread, or calories, but we can't eat too much and stay healthy. More fiber and more whole grain will make bread more satiating, look for that when you buy. You have to figure out what amount of bread, and any food, is right for you, you can use the food diary to see how different types and amounts affects your total nutrition. Have you considered baking your own bread? Bread recipes don't traditionally include sugar, and just small amounts of fat and salt. But too little salt (and fat) will make for a nasty loaf.

I disagree about bread recipes including sugar. You do need to feed the yeast. Not much sugar, but a little - any recipes I've tried that didn't include sugar/honey/molasses to feed the yeast turned out horrible. Baked paste. But I do like baking my own - I like to add extra gluten.