Doop de poop!

Options
Hey, could someone take a look at my food diary and suggest what might be causing constipation..?
It's been a week and I'm getting damn uncomfortable, gonna buy some prune juice later, but would really like to prevent this from reoccurring.
I've only been back to logging for about 10 days, but prior to the break I was still swimming and going to the gym a couple of times a week and had a good balanced diet, just more snacks, I ate around maintenance levels as I didn't gain, just fluctuated up and down the same 3lbs...

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You might find it useful to remove either sodium (it's usually not on our labels anyway) or sugar and track fibre instead, as well as make sure you are taking in enough fluid. I can't give you more specific advice as I have non-diet related issues with BM and it wouldn't help you, but hopefully someone else will chime in.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    the problem is not in what you're eating, but in what you're not eating, which is vegetables. you have a salad in your meals which i'm guessing is something like lettuce,tomato style. you need things like broccoli, brussel sprouts , beets. 400 gr. of any of them, guarranteed result.also fruits like oranges, prunes,watermelon.not juice but the real fruit which have the fiber in them.
  • nicholajaneryan
    nicholajaneryan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    the problem is not in what you're eating, but in what you're not eating, which is vegetables. you have a salad in your meals which i'm guessing is something like lettuce,tomato style. you need things like broccoli, brussel sprouts , beets. 400 gr. of any of them, guarranteed result.also fruits like oranges, prunes,watermelon.not juice but the real fruit which have the fiber in them.

Thanks, I'll add a large portion of broccoli to my dinner more regularly :smile:

• kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tried and now use 16 ounces of water, half of a lemon (or 5-6 drops of lemon oil) and about a teaspoon of baking soda first thing in the morning. The amount of baking soda may vary, too much may induce liquid toilet explosions.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too and the only thing that has helped me has been to add wheat bran to my diet on a daily basis. I will mix in 5-10 grams to my oatmeal or cottage cheese or on a salad. Of course, you have to make sure you drink plenty of water or that could backfire on you, but it has worked for me.
  • rnrjohns
    rnrjohns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ugh I am going through this very same thing at the moment. I've been eating all kinds of foods high in fiber and drinking tons of water and haven't had any luck so far
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Track your fiber and shoot for 20g per day. Chia seeds, raspberries, lentils, black beans, asparagus, plain popcorn are your friends
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere else that somebody was having a problem because of greek yogurt with high protein.. I looked it up and apparently it's got something in it that's harder for us to digest, causing constipation. I'm having a little bit of the same problem, it sucks :(
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You can also occasionally take a magnesium supplement. Magnesium oxide is the version that helps you poop.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I got CRAZY constipated when I first started tracking calories. Best I could figure was I had dropped a lot of fatty fast food out of my diet. It all worked itself out (literally and figuratively) with increased water intake and a cup of coffee every morning (I take it black, but you don't have to if you can fit more deliciousness into your calories).
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eat the skin on your sweet potato.
  • nicholajaneryan
    Options
    Eat the skin on your sweet potato.

I do! I love it :smiley:

I got CRAZY constipated when I first started tracking calories. Best I could figure was I had dropped a lot of fatty fast food out of my diet. It all worked itself out (literally and figuratively) with increased water intake and a cup of coffee every morning (I take it black, but you don't have to if you can fit more deliciousness into your calories).

I drink so much coffee already it's unreal, but I will definitely work on upping the water intake
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oatmeal and veggies (ie broccoli lol). I eat a lot of those two things and have no issues at all :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    It could be the dairy or the multi-vitamin constipating you. I take liquid vitamins in their purest form (taste worse but better) because the pill type from the store have additives.

Incorporate more oils in to your diet. A tbsp here and there each day won't hurt.

Drink more water.

When all else fails - prune juice does help! I had to drink it after giving birth to all three of my kids. My mom told me about it. She always said drink it at room temperature before eating anything each morning and it worked like magic! :D
  • nicholajaneryan
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    How much protein are you taking in?
    It varies, but I rarely go over. My food diary is open, feel free to look.
    I quite regularly drink PhD protein shakes after workouts... They usually *cough* get things moving... But not so much this week!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention: Love the title of this thread. :D
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I've just re-read what I typed earlier, and wanted to clarify that I didn't mean remove sodium or sugar from your diet, just from your diary tracking (so that you can add fibre tracking instead). Sorry for any confusion!
  • LMiller917P
    LMiller917P Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I chew two fiber gummies every night before bed. I have lost 38 pounds in three months!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Yep, not enough 'roughage' ... I noticed you have bananas on a regular basis, and what's in that caramel wafer bar you have almost daily? Try adding coleslaw to your diet, and adding in a bit more fat ... to say 30% of your calories. This could be just from adding a little good oil to your salad.
  • nicholajaneryan
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Yep, not enough 'roughage' ... I noticed you have bananas on a regular basis, and what's in that caramel wafer bar you have almost daily? Try adding coleslaw to your diet, and adding in a bit more fat ... to say 30% of your calories. This could be just from adding a little good oil to your salad.

The caramel wafer bar is just a treat, old-school English chocolate bar which I used to have in my lunchbox as a kid.
    My daily treat!