Is there any hope for me loosing 100lbs!

Options
Yesterday was seen at docs and was told i have really high blood pressure and morbid obese i weigh 242 and im 5'3 tall age 22!! I have always been skinny majority of my life but adtwr having my gull bladder removed i have done nothing but gain weight!! I need help tips on healty foods should i drop down to 1,000 calories a day diet!?

Also doc said 45lbs must be shed by july 7th when we meet again

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    A doctor so adamant that you must lose 45 pounds in 11 weeks must surely have made some nutritional recommendations? It's generally not possible to lose 4 pounds a week consistently because that would require a draconian deficit, but base your food on lots of veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs, carefully measured nuts, some dairy, some whole grains. Bulky foods fill you up. Save room for special treats. You should not to 1000 a day. That is way to low for your weight. Just follow the calorie recommendations given here on MFP after you get all of your stats in correctly. If you haven't been an exerciser, start with walks, as long as you have time for.
  • alexanderdickson93
    alexanderdickson93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, also had my gallbladder removed and also have to lose 100+lbs. I think if you really set your mind to it you can shift this weight! The doctor wanting you to lose that weight is irresponsible. Just take it at a pace that suits you and aslong as your eating healthy you'll see your blood pressure regulate and your weight drop. You can do this. If you need any support during it, feel free to add me. Goodluck!
  • Justn7883
    Justn7883 Posts: 4,764 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    There's always hope. For most, it's the mindset that it is attainable that has to be instituted. Problem is, many people give up before they even start.
    Have a specific and concise plan to lose weight safely, follow it consistently, have a back up plan for "bad" days (over eating), and NEVER quit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Tamijennelle
    Tamijennelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Theres no need or benefit to dropping to 1000 cals.
    I started on 1400 cals a day to start and as my fitness endurance started improving, i upped my cals to 1600. You really can knock your body out of order going so low.
    If you need motivation, go on instagram. Thats where i get it.
    There are SO many girls there who have lost over 100 lbs and they post each day since the starr. Its amazing.

The 1400 cal diet was given to me by a bariatric surgeon. You have to lose 30 lbs in a month to shrink ur liver for weight loss surgery.
    I ended up losing 24 lbs and cancelled the surgery because it proved i can do it myself.
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you want something bad enough, you can do it. You just have to want it more than anything!
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you want something bad enough, you can do it. You just have to want it more than anything!

I TOTALLY agree. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough. My start weight was 249 and I am now 163. 14 pounds to go. I never thought I would make it this far! Just take it one pound at a time.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Having my gallbladder out was the greatest thing I ever did (mine was basically a rock when they pulled it out, after 9 years of it going bad). I had about 100 to lose, down to 80 now. Grant it, I gained a lot of weight after the surgery because I felt better, but it's doable to lose beforehand. Just track your intake and don't drop to 1000cals a day. PLEASE.
  • J3ffthatcher
    J3ffthatcher Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    All of the above is great advice. Start with diet, slowly add exercise and the progress you make will motivate you to keep going.

Just remember...if it's important you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse. Stay strong!
  • kydseoul26
    kydseoul26 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dropping 40 lbs is definitely doable in this time frame. It just comes down to diet. You can go on a low carb diet with high protein and fat diet. If you want to stay with carbs eat healthy and low hypoglycemic carbs. Your body itself burns through 1,000 calories per day. So I would stay between 1,000 - 1,400 calories per day. You can do weight lifting, HIIT, or both to help burn additional calories. Exercise is important, but eating right is 80% of the diet, so eat healthy and clean. Homemade food is always best since you know what ingredients are being used.
    This is all mind over matter!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That much weight by that date is pretty steep.. That's like double nearly what's generally recommended? And 1000 calories is a sure fire way to make yourself miserable. I'm only 5'4 a shorty too and very overweight (435 pounds) and I wouldn't dream of doing 1000 calories a day. Mine generally sits between 1700-2200 and I have a pretty decent deficit due to incorporating more walking. Not saying what you should do, but I really don't think what your doctor told you is feasible. Eat more lean proteins (chicken, fish) vegetables, fruits, drink more water and try to fit in some exercise even walking helps.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A doctor so adamant that you must lose 45 pounds in 11 weeks must surely have made some nutritional recommendations? It's generally not possible to lose 4 pounds a week consistently because that would require a draconian deficit, but base your food on lots of veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs, carefully measured nuts, some dairy, some whole grains. Bulky foods fill you up. Save room for special treats. You should not to 1000 a day. That is way to low for your weight. Just follow the calorie recommendations given here on MFP after you get all of your stats in correctly. If you haven't been an exerciser, start with walks, as long as you have time for.

This is exactly what I would have said. Set yourself up for success by eating enough of the right kinds of foods. You have to fuel your body in order to stay healthy. I have high blood pressure and have been on medication since I was 26 years old. I am now 40 and have recently cut my medication in half after losing the first 40 lbs, that took 6 months not 11 weeks. I have 57 lbs. to go and if I can do it at 40 you can do it at 22. Make small, smart, manageable changes and every week you will feel better and be able to do more. Don't deprive yourself, make good choices.

When I'm hungry I like to to add extra veggies to my meals for bulk, with a little healthy fat like Olive, Sunflower or Coconut oil to make them more satisfying. Weighing and measuring and logging everything you eat is vital. Ask questions, we're all here to help one another.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can certainly lose 100 pounds. There are many, many people who have done it and kept it off which is the ultimate goal. But 45 pounds in less than 3 months? No. Just no. Any weight you lose between now and then will benefit your health and there's nothing good that will come of losing weight too quickly. You don't want to drop a bunch of weight that way only to gain it all back later. Instead of focusing on speed, focus on losing weight in a way that you can maintain once you reach your goal; a way that will be sustainable for the rest of your life.

Losing weight on a very low calorie diet will result in a greater loss of lean muscle mass, something you want to keep as much of as possible. In fact, I highly suggest strength training as soon as you can start. Being significantly overweight actually has some advantages when it comes to strength training. I'll explain....

When we lose "weight" the pounds we lose are made up of a combination of water, fat and muscle. The faster you lose weight, the more of that lost weight will be from lean muscle mass. This is because our bodies are looking to preserve as much stored energy as possible against a prolonged starvation period (and when you eat far too little that's exactly what it thinks is happening!) and unused lean muscle mass is an easy target. As you shed pounds, you need less muscle to move your mass around so your body will break it down and it'll be gone. Forever.

Strength training forces us to use our muscles in such a way as to signal to the body that we need them. This limits muscle breakdown for energy and helps to retain the muscle you already have. It's also much easier to maintain your current muscle mass than it is to build new muscle (just for starters, building new muscle involves gaining weight!) and here is where those advantages I mentioned come in. As I said earlier, when we lose weight it's a combination of muscle, fat and water. The opposite is true, too! Your current muscle mass is significantly greater than someone who is smaller because while you've been gaining weight over the years some of what you gained was extra muscle so that you could simply move around your extra weight. That's a huge advantage if you're willing to capitalize on it.

Strength training now will allow you to keep a lot of that extra muscle rather than losing it along with the fat and water. This means more of your weight loss will be from fat and that's what you really want to lose. It also means that when you reach the weight you want to be that your body fat percentage will be much lower and you'll be much firmer at that weight than you would have been if you simply lost weight quickly to get there.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I would not focus on the number 45 (and I question a suggestion like that). However you of course can focus on steady weight loss and you are in the right place where there is a ton of support and help! Its very simple really, figure out your calorie goal, then design a diet that sticks to that calorie goal. Plan your meals, go shopping, buy the food and get rid of the other food (if you can, depending on who else is living with you). If you pick foods with less calories you can eat a higher volume of food, you can experiment and figure out what works for you, everyone is different.

Add in some exercise as others have mentioned and you on your way!

Is this easy? No. Is this possible? YES!

Let us know how we can help, you will be so happy and proud with every pound you lose, you can do this!

And let me say again, no matter what anyone tells you, try this food, try that food, try this diet, blah blah blah, at the end of the day its about how many calories you eat each day!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There's always hope. For most, it's the mindset that it is attainable that has to be instituted. Problem is, many people give up before they even start.
    Have a specific and concise plan to lose weight safely, follow it consistently, have a back up plan for "bad" days (over eating), and NEVER quit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. I started at 26, 5'2", and 290 pounds, and have lost 100 pounds. That said: it's taken me close to three years, because of how I choose to eat and prioritize.

I think telling you to drop 45 pounds by July and only consume 1,000 calories per day is setting you up for failure. I think you find the vast majority of people who lost a large amount and maintained that loss did so by finding a way of eating that's sustainable to their life and sticking with it, even if it was slow. There's no way 1,000 calories a day is sustainable.
  • smburton86
    smburton86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is possible, a few years ago I lost 80 pounds with small changes in my life. Unfortunately life and stress got control and I regained it all back so I'm restarting the journey. You can succeed if you are diligent and smart about the process.
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You can do it.
    I'm 49 yrs old F weighing in at 240 today, committing to a very easy exercise goal of 15 min 4 days a week.
    (I very often exceed the goal I set)
    Based on the goal my calorie intake is set at 1400 pr day. I started April 1st and I'm down 10 lb.

It will take a while to loos 100 lb so don't push yourself with to much exercise to soon and definitely don't under eat @ 1000 calorie a day diet.. You will just be hungry all the time and that will be your undoing.

Best of luck, eat healthy, move around a short walk even if you only start at a 5 minutes you will work your way up to longer amounts of time.
  • ash_fernan
    ash_fernan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could do it! As long as you try it's possible. :)
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You can lose 100lb, I have done it before and slowly found it again , now losing it again.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The only person stopping you from losing 100 lbs, is you.

As an aside, 1000 calories is not enough. At minimum you should be hitting 1200 NET calories.