Non Meat Protein?

Options
I need ideas on good sources of protein, other than meat. I'm looking more for portable foods I can take on the go and work into my diet throughout the day. I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't eat much meat and as a result, I'm struggling to eat enough protein.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Any of the several brands of protein bars would be portable and give you a reasonable boost of protein for the calories. Many are whey based, but there are some that are pea or soy based for people who want alternatives.
  • eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hmm, Chia seeds, quinoa, lentils, beans, Greek yogurt are ones I can think off of the top of my head. Then you have things like eggs and tuna. I like finding granola that are high in protein and fiber as well. There's a pumpkin flax granola from Nature's Path that's really neat for a snack. Oh! Chick peas are great too, love roasted chick peas.
  • nutrikim
    nutrikim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I stuggle to get enough protein as well. I eat protein bars from time to time...but they're also packed with sugar and carbs. The best sources I can think of is chickpeas and quorn.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Edamame
    Beans
    Chia seeds
    Vega one protein powder
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters, dairy products (if you eat them), beans and legumes, wheat products (if you eat them), and soy products (if you eat them).
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Almonds. 30 nuts have about 9 grams of protein but they are also 240 calories so you have to watch that too.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Most portable protein foods are non-meat...bars, shakes, yogurts, nuts...the only real portable meat source of protein I can think of is jerkey...but I'm vegan so I'm not very in-the-know about meats. I always have No Cow Bars on hand - 21 g protein, 4 g fat, 27 carbs but only 4 net carbs, and 20g fiber. Super filling and definitely easy to toss in my purse or gym bag. I also portion protein powder into baggies to throw in my bag and I can toss those into some almond milk or water if I feel I need a boost. My husband really likes this yogurt, I can't think of the brand, but it's in a black container and has 15g of protein. Then again, you can cook anything, meat or not, and toss it in a tupperware and call it "portable"...I guess it depends on how portable you're looking.
  • Mickey_star
    Mickey_star Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My new fav thing is SEITAN. Sold at Wholefoods! Wheat protein, super awesome tasting. You can pack lunch with it.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    bars, shakes, rice/pasta/oats/etc., dairy, soy products, edamame beans, chickpeas (really any kind of bean/pulse etc.), nuts....you can even check out websites (e.g. myprotein) that sell high protein (and healthy) snacks, for example, I get protein bites that are like an alternative to crisps, etc.
  • Nireerin76
    Nireerin76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I've got some great ideas to try now.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Breakfast I have oatbran high in protein, iron and fibre. Pepitas/pumkin seeds. Also milk.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Dairy
    Beans
    Quinoa
    Nuts
    Seeds
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Almonds. 30 nuts have about 9 grams of protein but they are also 240 calories so you have to watch that too.

9 grams for 240 cal is pretty rough
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Tofu but be careful how much you eat of it.

Why?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Why?

I've been hearing this more and more... someone even invaded my personal feed to give me this warning. I've still never seen any science that upheld any reason to worry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why?

I've been hearing this more and more... someone even invaded my personal feed to give me this warning. I've still never seen any science that upheld any reason to worry.

I haven't either. And when you consider that soy is one of the most studied foods on earth (mostly because of the fear-mongering), that's pretty remarkable.