what to do if i go over

Options
If I go over my calorie limit for just today by 200 calories what should I do? Is it ok to go over once, or should I hurry up and get another exercise in for the day. MY husband is taking me out to dinner and I looked up exactly what I want to have and put in the calories buty it will take me over by 223 calories for the day, unfortunately going out to dinner never helps in the calorie counting world. HELP!!! I have been being really good, but I am afraid to go over, even if it is just a little bit, also I lowered my activity level setting so that I would be getting the best results, but actually do lead a light to moderately active lifestyle, i have it set to sedetary for more help. I do not know if that really matters or not though. Thanks for any advice. :smile:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would get in another quick walk or something after dinner. Go enjoy yourself just be smart.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    in the grand scheme of things 200 calories isn't a big deal. It is approx 2/35 of 1 pound. I go over a couple times a week by a little bit and I never stress over it.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Some people do that intentionally, myself included, to zig zag their calories. Sometimes it helps give the metabolism a little kick. Call it a day and start fresh tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about it. ;-) Just check to make sure your sodium, sugar and fat levels are okay.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    I think you'll be fine! Everyone needs to splurge once in a while...enjoy your night and just get on track first thing tomorrow. It's not like you went 1400 over or something like that. Having fun is important too! :)
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    I say "own it", document it, drink some more water, and let it go knowing that you can be disciplined tomorrow. Just don't say I blew it so now I am going to just keep eating. You can do it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your dinner out and don't panic!
    Remember that MFP calculates a defecit of 1000/500/250 cals (depending in how much you nominated to lose) for you do even if you are set to lose half a pound a week you will still have a calorie deficit for the day.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Options:
    1> Take a walk.
    2> Make it up tomorrow- and call it calorie cycling :D
    3> Portion size can do a lot. Order what you want, but leave a little of the worst things on your plate.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    weekly deficit is more important than daily.

get in an extra workout over the next few days and you'll be fine. and drink more water than usual. that will help too.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Document it yes - dont let it upset you. We all go over from time to time. You could go for a walk if you feel needed - but sometimes I just accept an 'off' day.
  • jolenna
    jolenna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy dinner and accept the fact that it happens sometimes. Enjoy it as the "treat/luxury" that it is and know that tomorrow's a new day.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Calories are more important over a week than per day. Take of 50 calories for the next 4 days if that will make you feel better. I'm reading a lot that one day over is a good thing, reinforcing to your body that it can burn calories, bc you'll give it plenty. It's the same principle of mixing up your workout routine so your body doesn't get used to it and adapt. I try to never eat my exact amount of daily calories. Most days I try to be under.. 100 calories one day, 300 another [this is from my calorie burn, I always eat 1200 minimum good food calories]. On Saturdays, I splurge and don't sweat it if I got over a little. It's my "spike" day.

This is not just about losing weight, but learning to keep it off, and live a happy, healthy life. Go out and enjoy your dinner.. you are planning ahead, and that's a very good skill to have for weight loss/maintenance! Tomorrow, eat a few less calories.

:flowerforyou:
  • merceah
    merceah Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you, I did not even think to look at my weekly totals as well, I am well under for my weekly totals, I have been eating just under my calories everyday. I was trying to eat close to but not over every time so I have a deficit for the week still even with the 223 extra. I am a huge water drinker alreayd 15 for the day and I will continue to drink the rest of the day and thru the night when I get up to feed my baby. I will take her for a little walk tonight to feel better about it but not lose any sleep over it. Thanks again, now I will remember that there are also weekly totals lol.:laugh:
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned if you only go over once a week. You could order what you plan to order at dinner and ask for a box, divide the meal in half and take home a doggy bag or enjoy your meal, have a lovely evening with your husband and maybe you two can work off the excess calories together ;)