Ok so I have a vitamix but don't even use it. Any ideas ??

Options
2»

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You are kidding, send it to my house, I could use a second one.

I use mine to make:
    smoothies
    banana bread (best banana bread - much better than kitchen aid)
    cakes
    hummus
    soups
    frozen desserts to name a few things.

Every kitchen should have a Vitamix - mine cost close to $600.00 and it was money well spent. Out of all my kitchen applies, the Vitamix would be the one I missed the most.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I used mine the entire time I was losing weight: smoothies, soups, plant milk, dips, cashew cream, sauces, hummus . . . I still use it at least 5 times a week.

If you're looking for lower calorie things, try gazpacho, salsa, and soups. They all turn out great in the Vitamix. Do you still have the book that came with your Vitamix? There are at least two gazpacho recipes and lots more soup recipes. You can also make smoothies lower calorie by using water for the liquid. Lots of times I'll make a protein shake with just water, ice, 1 scoop of protein powder, and 1 cup of plant milk. Depending on the calories in your powder and milk, it can be pretty low calorie for lots of protein (mine are usually around 180-230 calories). And the crushed ice makes it more fun to drink than just protein powder and liquid.

I do have the book. Im going to look at the gazpacho. Don't even know what that is. LOL

Gazpacho is a very, very simple raw vegetable soup, originating in Southern Spain, where my father's family is from. When he was alive, he and I used to have a lot of fun putting together a gazpacho:

In your blender/Vitamix, throw:

About 3 or 4 good sized tomatoes (he peeled and seeded them; now, when I make it, I toss the whole thing in there).
    About half a good sized cucumber, peeled (you should peel it because the skin can be bitter).
    About half an onion.
    About half a sweet pepper (we always use green, but your choice).
    1 clove of garlic.
    Salt and pepper.

Liquify the whole thing, while pouring about half a cup of nice olive oil into the mix.

Pour the mix into a lidded container. Pour in enough water so that the mixture loosens up into into a souplike consistency, then store it in the refrigerator. Most people add about half the amount of vinegar to olive oil to the mix while it's blending, but my father and I liked to experiment with different vinegars, so we left it out so we could add different vinegars at the table.

If you chop up these ingredients nice and tiny, then include the vinegar with the olive oil, you will wind up with another Andalucian recipe, known as pipirrana. One of the most lovely things in the world is to dip some good, fresh bread into the dressing of a pipirrana (no double-dips!).
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Dusted off the Vitamix and made a smoothie for breakfast today yall. Here's what I did:
    One banana - 100 Cals
    8 whole strawberries - About 70 cals
    1/2 scoop protein powder - 80 cals
    1 TBSP Heavy Cream - 50 cals (thanks to Michelle 172415) I kept it in there and it tasted great
    1/4 cup almond milk - 10 cals
    So it was about 325 cals total.

Overall pretty good. Needed more ice. going to try again tomorrow. Prob will leave out the protein powder - too many cals for that. and maybe half banana? IDK
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I used mine the entire time I was losing weight: smoothies, soups, plant milk, dips, cashew cream, sauces, hummus . . . I still use it at least 5 times a week.

If you're looking for lower calorie things, try gazpacho, salsa, and soups. They all turn out great in the Vitamix. Do you still have the book that came with your Vitamix? There are at least two gazpacho recipes and lots more soup recipes. You can also make smoothies lower calorie by using water for the liquid. Lots of times I'll make a protein shake with just water, ice, 1 scoop of protein powder, and 1 cup of plant milk. Depending on the calories in your powder and milk, it can be pretty low calorie for lots of protein (mine are usually around 180-230 calories). And the crushed ice makes it more fun to drink than just protein powder and liquid.

I do have the book. Im going to look at the gazpacho. Don't even know what that is. LOL

Gazpacho is a very, very simple raw vegetable soup, originating in Southern Spain, where my father's family is from. When he was alive, he and I used to have a lot of fun putting together a gazpacho:

In your blender/Vitamix, throw:

About 3 or 4 good sized tomatoes (he peeled and seeded them; now, when I make it, I toss the whole thing in there).
    About half a good sized cucumber, peeled (you should peel it because the skin can be bitter).
    About half an onion.
    About half a sweet pepper (we always use green, but your choice).
    1 clove of garlic.
    Salt and pepper.

Liquify the whole thing, while pouring about half a cup of nice olive oil into the mix.

Pour the mix into a lidded container. Pour in enough water so that the mixture loosens up into into a souplike consistency, then store it in the refrigerator. Most people add about half the amount of vinegar to olive oil to the mix while it's blending, but my father and I liked to experiment with different vinegars, so we left it out so we could add different vinegars at the table.

If you chop up these ingredients nice and tiny, then include the vinegar with the olive oil, you will wind up with another Andalucian recipe, known as pipirrana. One of the most lovely things in the world is to dip some good, fresh bread into the dressing of a pipirrana (no double-dips!).

Pipirrana sounds amazing! I am going to try it this weekend.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Braaaahh.. Still not using this thing. IDK I just feel smoothies are so high in cals. Just protein powder alone is high. Then add the fruit and poof. IDK
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Braaaahh.. Still not using this thing. IDK I just feel smoothies are so high in cals. Just protein powder alone is high. Then add the fruit and poof. IDK

I will often skip the fruit or use just a little bit. If I use protein powder (mine has about 90 calories a serving), half almond milk/half water (my almond milk has 30 calories a cup), and a bunch of ice, it reminds me of a milkshake, but lower calorie. Yesterday I added some coffee and used chocolate protein powder.

Smoothies don't *have* to be high in calories. But if it doesn't fit your life, it doesn't fit your life. Not every appliance is for everybody and that's okay!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

My morning smoothie is my breakfast. If you treat smoothies as a meal replacement they usually aren't bad calorie wise (unless you go nuts on the ingredients) and usually pack a nutritional punch. Mine usually works out to 400-450 calories, keeps me full until lunch. If I'm cutting I still drink one of those suckers every morning. You said yours was 325, if that's supposed to be your breakfast that's pretty decent calorie content, if not on the lower side for a meal. But, if you aren't a smoothie person then just don't do it. Don't feel like you need to use your vitamix if you don't want to.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. You have to utilize that thing! It's crazy what it can do. On the w/e I was making moussaka and do you know I made my sauce from start to finish in the Vitamix? Pretty cool.
    Here's a link of the dvd that usually comes with the machine; it shows all the wonderful things it can do:
    http://youtu.be/1qemLSu63d0
    Enjoy!!!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

??? My breakfast smoothie yesterday:
    Scoop of Trutein vanilla protein powder - 120 cals
    Half a frozen banana (came to 60g) - 53 cals
    @ 2 cups of baby spinch - 14 cals
    16 g of peanut butter - 100 cals

Total cals = 287 cals

Seriously, if you're not going to use it, sell it. There is a huge market for used Vitamix, they are almost worth their weight in gold.
  • leslievp
    leslievp Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use mine for making healthy flours too... don't nec. need the "dry container"... use oats, wheatberries, brown rice, millet, kamut, almonds (be careful or it will be butter, which is good too!) all sorts of whole grains just grind in the vitamix (small batches, 1c at a time). I love this pancake recipe and make it all the time: http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbatterwaffles/blenderbatterwafflesA.htm

and if you drink non dairy milks, it can make almond, rice, hemp milk (need a nut bag strainer to get the grit out).