Suggest some workouts for begginers

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The best workouts are those you enjoy. Find an activity you enjoy and do it.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se You are right, planning for badminton its summer here in India, so we have a holidays.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I started walking on the treadmill and then graduated to the Elliptical Trainer.. At first I could only do 5 min on the elliptical but now I am up to 60 min. I like to start off on the tread mill for 15 min to warm up and then kick it into high gear on the Elliptical. It only takes a few weeks to build up your endurance. The key is to find things that you like and can be consistent with. Planet fitness is only $10 a month and geared toward cardio.. its where I go. Also you might want to start doing some strength training you can become stronger and build some lean muscle in the process.

1200-1300 cals a day is fine. I have been doing that for 2 months and lost 22 lbs. You want to make sure you have a deficit while not being overwhelmed with hunger. Just don't go below 1200.

1200 is a minimum default for WOMEN. Men have much more lean muscle mass than women, men need more calories. Really large deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle mass.

As far a you're gaining muscle at a deficit? Not happening (or maybe you are a senior, or you haven't worked out in decades). Gaining muscle at a massive deficit? Even less likely.

MFP gives you exercise calories back because they were not included as part of the original deficit (not everyone can/will exercise).

When your body needs fuel, it does NOT just look to fat stores (I wish). Sometimes existing lean muscle mass is a really convenient source of fuel also.

Unfortunately the science does not back up your claims....

Nor does it back up any of the nonsense you've posted.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Tenster wrote: »
    Don't do steady state cardio, you will burn calories but won't build much muscle, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns. In my opinion you should do weights and concentrate on compound excersises (squats, presses, rows etc) use light weights at first to get your form correct. Ask people in the gym and trainers to help you out at first or even YouTube etc.

I would also advise joining some fitness classes such as metafit.

Don't waste your time with steady state cardio, look at long distance runners, they're never in what I would call good shape. If you do cardio do high intensity interval training, look at sprinters and the physiques they have.

The most important thing is your diet so make sure you get plenty of protein, healthy fats and complex carbs. Only have simple carbs in the 45min post work out window.

Hope this helps

You are joking right?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hello folks, I started my weight loss journey currently i am taking calories around 1200 to 1300 dialy and i go for walking 6 to 7 kms. Suggest me some workouts which helps to burn some calories.

Walking
  • Tamijennelle
    Tamijennelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was watching that show, my 600 lb life....and that doctor put his patients on a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight before bariatric surgery.
    And its 1200 because they arent physically able to workout.
    If you are working out, you need more calories. Eating too little keeps you hungry which causes you to get fed up and lose motivation.
    If you eat 1200 cals, and burn 600, you become severely undernourished.
    I was put on a 1400 calorie diet, but because i have fibro myalgia and cannot exercise a lot until my body begins to get used to it, and then i will be switched to 1600, then eventually 2000.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    TJLorre wrote: »
    I was watching that show, my 600 lb life....and that doctor put his patients on a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight before bariatric surgery.
    If you are working out, you need more calories. Eating too little keeps you hungry which causes you to get fed up and lose motivation.
    I was put on a 1400 calorie diet, but because i have fibro myalgia and cannot exercise a lot until my body begins to get used to it, and then i will be switched to 1600, then eventually 2000.

You don't get hungry when you take Adipex... I consume 1250 a day and workout 5 times a week.. This morning I was on the Elipicle for 45 min and the treadmill for a 10 min warm up.. 650 cals burned.. and NO I am not going to eat back my cals because that would be ridiculous !!! I am losing 3 lb a week for the last 8 weeks.. I have gained lean muscle mass while losing 3.5% body fat.. It works ... maybe not for all but definitely for me.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beginner exercises: crossfit. (seriously).
    Then, Get a fitbit with a heart-rate-monitor and stay 500 under. . You'll lose a pound a week. (working for me). . You can go 1000 under for 2 lbs a week. The only reason to drop to something like 1200-total is if you just HAVE to lose weight IMMEDIATELY because you are just that impatient!

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started walking on the treadmill and then graduated to the Elliptical Trainer.. At first I could only do 5 min on the elliptical but now I am up to 60 min. I like to start off on the tread mill for 15 min to warm up and then kick it into high gear on the Elliptical. It only takes a few weeks to build up your endurance. The key is to find things that you like and can be consistent with. Planet fitness is only $10 a month and geared toward cardio.. its where I go. Also you might want to start doing some strength training you can become stronger and build some lean muscle in the process.

1200-1300 cals a day is fine. I have been doing that for 2 months and lost 22 lbs. You want to make sure you have a deficit while not being overwhelmed with hunger. Just don't go below 1200.

This is NOT fine and shame on you for saying so. The only time this is even remotely acceptable is under the supervision of qualified medical personnel (and an amount that low is usually for women). Not to mention the amount of calories burned while walking should be eaten back. Why is 1200 calories the magic number not to go under? VLCDs can damage your body over the long term and in most cases, is not sustainable. You've been doing it for 2 months and based off of statistics, you'll more than likely binge and gain it all back.

Your one of these know it all message board types.. Please produce your PHD in Sports Medicine and Nutrition and then I might give you some credence. Until then your just some pompous azz on the internet who thinks he knows everything.

I am under the close supervision of a Dr. and I put more trust in his medical opinion than your wet finger in the air "you can't do that" rules. "People need to break the rules, not the law but the rules". Arnold Schwarzenegger.

If your goal is to lose body fat you need to have a deficit while not throwing your body into starvation mode that is why it is suggested to not go below 1200 cal/per day. Have you read the studies that show people who use an extreame low cal intake combined with low carb lose more body fat and virtually no muscle mass ?? Probably not. Let me guess you probably believe that you can't lose body fat and build muscle at the same time either ? Well my numbers and research blow that out of the water. I have lost 3.5% body fat while gaining 2.5% lean muscle mass and those numbers continue to climb respectively. Starting at 242 I am currently 219 with a target round 175.

Eat your calories back ?? WFT man !! What the hell for ? If I am trying to burn body fat as fuel and create a deficit then why on God's green earth would I eat back what I just took an hour in the gym to burn off ?? You just don't make any sense.. If I go to the gym and burn 750 cals like I did this morning then my body is forced to use its fat reserves.

I work out 6 days a week 3 days cardio, 3 days weights with light cardio at the end all while consuming between 1200-1300 cal per day. The proof is in the pudding as results show that it is working for me. So go drink another protein shake and try to impress someone who cares..

So wait a minute, let me understand... You eat 1200-1300 cals a day and burn approx 750 of those in the gym? So 1300-750 = 550 calories that your body is getting to survive on? I would like to know what medical professional is "closely supervising" this extremely dangerous and careless plan of yours? I don't know your stats, but I am a 5'8" woman that weighs 140 lbs and my body NEEDS 1470 calories a day to survive just for me to lay in bed and sleep all day... If I were you, I would seriously thing about switching medical professionals because it seems as though this one is trying to kill you.

And also, please do not promote this type of dangerous behavior on a fitness forum where people are trying to improve their health.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    TJLorre wrote: »

You don't get hungry when you take Adipex... I consume 1250 a day and workout 5 times a week.. This morning I was on the Elipicle for 45 min and the treadmill for a 10 min warm up.. 650 cals burned.. and NO I am not going to eat back my cals because that would be ridiculous !!! I am losing 3 lb a week for the last 8 weeks.. I have gained lean muscle mass while losing 3.5% body fat.. It works ... maybe not for all but definitely for me.

highly doubt this will be sustainable in the long term

Sadly, he's not interested in hearing anything that makes sense. He's one of the special snowflakes that claims, "it doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me."
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    So much love in the forms ... Thanks.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

This is NOT fine and shame on you for saying so. The only time this is even remotely acceptable is under the supervision of qualified medical personnel (and an amount that low is usually for women). Not to mention the amount of calories burned while walking should be eaten back. Why is 1200 calories the magic number not to go under? VLCDs can damage your body over the long term and in most cases, is not sustainable. You've been doing it for 2 months and based off of statistics, you'll more than likely binge and gain it all back.

Your one of these know it all message board types.. Please produce your PHD in Sports Medicine and Nutrition and then I might give you some credence. Until then your just some pompous azz on the internet who thinks he knows everything.

I am under the close supervision of a Dr. and I put more trust in his medical opinion than your wet finger in the air "you can't do that" rules. "People need to break the rules, not the law but the rules". Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I work out 6 days a week 3 days cardio, 3 days weights with light cardio at the end all while consuming between 1200-1300 cal per day. The proof is in the pudding as results show that it is working for me. So go drink another protein shake and try to impress someone who cares..
    So much love in the forms ... Thanks.

LOL.

But what @_A_Real_Mouthful said. Even though you called me a few names, I'd rather you be mad and do a little more research than to continue blissfully eating a net of 500 calories/day and thinking that's what "works" for you.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    . . .
    If your goal is to lose body fat you need to have a deficit while not throwing your body into starvation mode that is why it is suggested to not go below 1200 cal/per day. Have you read the studies that show people who use an extreame low cal intake combined with low carb lose more body fat and virtually no muscle mass ?? Probably not. Let me guess you probably believe that you can't lose body fat and build muscle at the same time either ? Well my numbers and research blow that out of the water. I have lost 3.5% body fat while gaining 2.5% lean muscle mass and those numbers continue to climb respectively. Starting at 242 I am currently 219 with a target round 175.
    . . .

You understand how percentages work. . right?. Just because your lean muscle percentage is higher does NOT mean you've gained lean muscle. .

Let's do some math!

Let's say your Lean Body Mass when you started was 70%. . 242 * .70 = 169.4 lbs of lean mass.
    Since then, your down to 219 lbs and your LBM is up 2.5% to 72.5%. . 219 * .775 = 158.8 lbs of lean mass.

So..you've lost 10.6 lbs of lean mass. .

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Lift bro.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    A whole eight posts before the name calling started? It must be a record of some sort.

@PurringMyrrh You bring the popcorn and we will just sit back and enjoy.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    So much fail, and bro science in this ..... 45 minute carb window, dudes taking in the amount of calories daily as I do for lunch.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    A 29 year old male should be consuming more than 1200-1300 calories per day. I'd fix that first.

That isn't what he asked but hey... comment away...
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    A 29 year old male should be consuming more than 1200-1300 calories per day. I'd fix that first.

That isn't what he asked but hey... comment away...

Thank you for permission?