Suggest some workouts for begginers

Options
Iamsimpleguy
Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
Hello folks, I started my weight loss journey currently i am taking calories around 1200 to 1300 dialy and i go for walking 6 to 7 kms. Suggest me some workouts which helps to burn some calories.

Replies

• KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Jogging/Running is always a good place to start. Once that feels comfortable you can push yourself more.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Options
    Thank you @Pooja86 Started with walking and i do jump rope for 15 mins. Any home made workouts for belly part?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    A 29 year old male should be consuming more than 1200-1300 calories per day. I'd fix that first.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started walking on the treadmill and then graduated to the Elliptical Trainer.. At first I could only do 5 min on the elliptical but now I am up to 60 min. I like to start off on the tread mill for 15 min to warm up and then kick it into high gear on the Elliptical. It only takes a few weeks to build up your endurance. The key is to find things that you like and can be consistent with. Planet fitness is only $10 a month and geared toward cardio.. its where I go. Also you might want to start doing some strength training you can become stronger and build some lean muscle in the process.

1200-1300 cals a day is fine. I have been doing that for 2 months and lost 22 lbs. You want to make sure you have a deficit while not being overwhelmed with hunger. Just don't go below 1200.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    LIFT WEIGHTS!!!! EAT MORE!!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello folks, I started my weight loss journey currently i am taking calories around 1200 to 1300 dialy and i go for walking 6 to 7 kms. Suggest me some workouts which helps to burn some calories.

You don't need to burn some calories ......only 1200 calories in food is already way too aggressive.

Lifting weights is one thing that helps you retain lean muscle mass. But, you also need to eat enough calories (and enough protein) to make that happen. Upping exercise with way too little fuel is like working out to increase lean muscle loss.
  • Tsartele
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    I started walking on the treadmill and then graduated to the Elliptical Trainer.. At first I could only do 5 min on the elliptical but now I am up to 60 min. I like to start off on the tread mill for 15 min to warm up and then kick it into high gear on the Elliptical. It only takes a few weeks to build up your endurance. The key is to find things that you like and can be consistent with. Planet fitness is only $10 a month and geared toward cardio.. its where I go. Also you might want to start doing some strength training you can become stronger and build some lean muscle in the process.

1200-1300 cals a day is fine. I have been doing that for 2 months and lost 22 lbs. You want to make sure you have a deficit while not being overwhelmed with hunger. Just don't go below 1200.

This is NOT fine and shame on you for saying so. The only time this is even remotely acceptable is under the supervision of qualified medical personnel (and an amount that low is usually for women). Not to mention the amount of calories burned while walking should be eaten back. Why is 1200 calories the magic number not to go under? VLCDs can damage your body over the long term and in most cases, is not sustainable. You've been doing it for 2 months and based off of statistics, you'll more than likely binge and gain it all back.

Your one of these know it all message board types.. Please produce your PHD in Sports Medicine and Nutrition and then I might give you some credence. Until then your just some pompous azz on the internet who thinks he knows everything.

I am under the close supervision of a Dr. and I put more trust in his medical opinion than your wet finger in the air "you can't do that" rules. "People need to break the rules, not the law but the rules". Arnold Schwarzenegger.

If your goal is to lose body fat you need to have a deficit while not throwing your body into starvation mode that is why it is suggested to not go below 1200 cal/per day. Have you read the studies that show people who use an extreame low cal intake combined with low carb lose more body fat and virtually no muscle mass ?? Probably not. Let me guess you probably believe that you can't lose body fat and build muscle at the same time either ? Well my numbers and research blow that out of the water. I have lost 3.5% body fat while gaining 2.5% lean muscle mass and those numbers continue to climb respectively. Starting at 242 I am currently 219 with a target round 175.

Eat your calories back ?? WFT man !! What the hell for ? If I am trying to burn body fat as fuel and create a deficit then why on God's green earth would I eat back what I just took an hour in the gym to burn off ?? You just don't make any sense.. If I go to the gym and burn 750 cals like I did this morning then my body is forced to use its fat reserves.

I work out 6 days a week 3 days cardio, 3 days weights with light cardio at the end all while consuming between 1200-1300 cal per day. The proof is in the pudding as results show that it is working for me. So go drink another protein shake and try to impress someone who cares..
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

This is NOT fine and shame on you for saying so. The only time this is even remotely acceptable is under the supervision of qualified medical personnel (and an amount that low is usually for women). Not to mention the amount of calories burned while walking should be eaten back. Why is 1200 calories the magic number not to go under? VLCDs can damage your body over the long term and in most cases, is not sustainable. You've been doing it for 2 months and based off of statistics, you'll more than likely binge and gain it all back.

Your one of these know it all message board types.. Please produce your PHD in Sports Medicine and Nutrition and then I might give you some credence. Until then your just some pompous azz on the internet who thinks he knows everything.

I am under the close supervision of a Dr. and I put more trust in his medical opinion than your wet finger in the air "you can't do that" rules. "People need to break the rules, not the law but the rules". Arnold Schwarzenegger.

If your goal is to lose body fat you need to have a deficit while not throwing your body into starvation mode that is why it is suggested to not go below 1200 cal/per day. Have you read the studies that show people who use an extreame low cal intake combined with low carb lose more body fat and virtually no muscle mass ?? Probably not. Let me guess you probably believe that you can't lose body fat and build muscle at the same time either ? Well my numbers and research blow that out of the water. I have lost 3.5% body fat while gaining 2.5% lean muscle mass and those numbers continue to climb respectively. Starting at 242 I am currently 219 with a target round 175.

Eat your calories back ?? WFT man !! What the hell for ? If I am trying to burn body fat as fuel and create a deficit then why on God's green earth would I eat back what I just took an hour in the gym to burn off ?? You just don't make any sense.. If I go to the gym and burn 750 cals like I did this morning then my body is forced to use its fat reserves.

I work out 6 days a week 3 days cardio, 3 days weights with light cardio at the end all while consuming between 1200-1300 cal per day. The proof is in the pudding as results show that it is working for me. So go drink another protein shake and try to impress someone who cares..

You lost me at "starvation mode." I literally read nothing after that.

Just going off of what I DID read: I mentioned that the only time you should be on a VLCD (this is very low calorie diet in case you didn't know) is under supervision of qualified medical personnel. I don't need a medical degree to know that.

When Mr. Olympia made that statement, I'm sure he meant you should take steroids, not eat what a 10 year old girl should eat.

Good luck with your weight loss.

Signed,
    Pompous Azz
  • Gemmi73
    Gemmi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Start off with a 10 min session of 5 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 15 squats.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1200 is a minimum default for WOMEN. Men have much more lean muscle mass than women, men need more calories. Really large deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle mass.

As far a you're gaining muscle at a deficit? Not happening (or maybe you are a senior, or you haven't worked out in decades). Gaining muscle at a massive deficit? Even less likely.

MFP gives you exercise calories back because they were not included as part of the original deficit (not everyone can/will exercise).

When your body needs fuel, it does NOT just look to fat stores (I wish). Sometimes existing lean muscle mass is a really convenient source of fuel also.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    A whole eight posts before the name calling started? It must be a record of some sort.
  • Tsartele
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

1200 is a minimum default for WOMEN. Men have much more lean muscle mass than women, men need more calories. Really large deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle mass.

As far a you're gaining muscle at a deficit? Not happening (or maybe you are a senior, or you haven't worked out in decades). Gaining muscle at a massive deficit? Even less likely.

MFP gives you exercise calories back because they were not included as part of the original deficit (not everyone can/will exercise).

When your body needs fuel, it does NOT just look to fat stores (I wish). Sometimes existing lean muscle mass is a really convenient source of fuel also.

Unfortunately the science does not back up your claims....
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Unfortunately the science does not back up your claims....

Please show your scientific evidence. Everything you've claimed so far has come straight out of a Curves magazine and not from any reputable, peer-reviewed, scientific journal.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Options
    Thank you for the reply @_incogNEATo_ what you said about the calorie thing is to be fixed first i do agree with that minimum i have to be in between 1500 - 1800 i was short of 300+ calorie, I would increase my calorie coming days.

@Gemmi73 Started squats and situps today never done before my thighs are feeling some heat now. I think before i did not try this work i feel some pain but yes its good work out.

@Tsartele When i start the MFP i thought to stick for 1200 calorie around though its not minimum for men, i felt its good for me in the initial start in next i would add some more calorie. Present i started walking and squats, sit ups i would hit gym soon to gain the more results.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5
  • osche731
    osche731 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Even if you're under the supervision of a doctor, they are not required to take any nutritional classes at all during their schooling. Just an FYI. That other guy is right. The lowest amount of calories a man should take should only be 1,500 and women no lower than 1,200. Anything lower than that will cause your body to think you are starving and will begin to lower your metabolism. While you may see results initially, after that you will find it is harder to burn any weight and build muscle.

Lets lower the amount of testosterone flying around in here.

Source: I am a nutritionist who has done the required schooling to earn a bachelor's degree in human biology and nutrition.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Don't do steady state cardio, you will burn calories but won't build much muscle, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns. In my opinion you should do weights and concentrate on compound excersises (squats, presses, rows etc) use light weights at first to get your form correct. Ask people in the gym and trainers to help you out at first or even YouTube etc.

I would also advise joining some fitness classes such as metafit.

Don't waste your time with steady state cardio, look at long distance runners, they're never in what I would call good shape. If you do cardio do high intensity interval training, look at sprinters and the physiques they have.

The most important thing is your diet so make sure you get plenty of protein, healthy fats and complex carbs. Only have simple carbs in the 45min post work out window.

Hope this helps
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options

"you can't do that" rules. "People need to break the rules, not the law but the rules". Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I don't mean to sound like a know it all or anything like that but the information you have gave to the OP, although with well intentions, is not great advice. And as for quoting Schwarzenegger....the irony is just fantastic.

OP .... Concentrate on building muscle first , there's no quick fix when it comes to getting the body and fitness you crave so be patient and do things the correct way.

Google Dr John Beradi's 7 rules of good nutrition. He is a fantastic and qualified nutritionalist.

If you need any advice let me know and others know but be careful to filter out the bad advice you will often get on these boards.

I don't know it all and I'm not in perfect shape but I've been dieting and training for long enough to know a bit